Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Northern Ireland v Switzerland

Such a shame that in this day and age, with all the technology available, we are still talking about horrendous refereeing decisions deciding vital games at the highest level.

It's completely ridiculous that within 30 seconds of the incident occurring everyone watching on TV knows it was a mistake.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Some WAG didn't take it well..

_98700144_lisatweet.jpg.10f2f9b9121a5bbcb7d75691edc7d6e6.jpg

Its absolute cringe, we arent all like that.

Corry Evans has apologised on behalf of his wife but he shouldnt have to deal with his wife being a racist idiot.

51 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Hard luck to N.I. only beaten by a non penalty.

I can see where a good majority think it was a ridiculous decision, as the player was trying to move the part of the body it hit away from the ball as possible in a second's flash.

However, isn't the shoulder part of the arm (i.e the 'upper arm?). So you the referee actually could've been correctly, technically, during that moment?

Either way, Northern Ireland don't deserve elimination; they went for it and sadly the positive risk didn't pull off.

There'll probably be worse teams at the World Cup in Panana and Costa Rica etc.

This could open the door for Michael O'Neill to try and get the Scotland job, which could be a better opportunity in the long-run as the Scottish football look like they have a few highly-rated youngsters if they're developed in the correct manner/way.

I think it was an entertaining return leg and I feel - again - for the Northern Irish.

They had the better chances, played really well going forward, didn't shy away from dictating the game at times and gave the Swiss hell from start to finish.

I wish they could've qualified, as well. Very harsh way of losing out, only thanks to a highly dubious penalty against them.

Technically, it should've been 0-0 on aggregate, going into extra time, potentially penalties.

We really rode our luck over those two legs and I'm disappointed to see how Switzerland performed in the last three matches (including the Portugal away game).

We seemed generally devoid of great ideas and unable to impose our style of play through the middle - I find it ironic that our yellow press needed to emphasize the fact that Granit Xhaka cost more than the Northern Irish squad combined, yet I didn't really see much of him (or Dzemaili, for that matter).

Depending on the group stage draw, Russia 2018 could develop into a potential disaster.

14 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Either way, Northern Ireland don't deserve elimination; they went for it and sadly the positive risk didn't pull off.

They played well yesterday but they deserved to be eliminated. They crafted one good chance in 180 minutes whereas if the Swiss striker wasn't channelling Akinbiyi, it could have got messy. 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They played well yesterday but they deserved to be eliminated. They crafted one good chance in 180 minutes whereas if the Swiss striker wasn't channelling Akinbiyi, it could have got messy. 

Didn't watch the return fixture then.

20 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Last night yes. Somner barely had to make a save. Those that did were easy too. N.Ireland played very well yesterday but there was a gulf in class still. It was evident when Embolo came

on 

It was a lively match - tense and highly entertaining, despite the terrible pitch conditions.

I can recall:

Excellent shot by Brunt early on, shot by Dallas that went just over, another good shot by Brunt, a header by Washington in the 2nd half that just went past the left goalpost, Saville came close, another header in injury time cleared on the line by Rodriguez and a couple of shots on goal in addition to that.

Impressive and noteworthy for a side that usually sets out to destroy the opposition's game (and is very good at it).

And Embolo only had a field day up front because the Northern Irish defense was pretty much worn out by that time. Any player will stand out up front under those circumstances and with energy to burn for less than 10 minutes.

Archived