Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Republic of Ireland V Denmark World Cup Qualifier

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:34, Kitchandro said:

Just think that one of these 2 are going to the World Cup whilst Chile and the Yanks are staying home. Sad but true.

You've clearly not seen USA play recently.

Absolutely turgid football team.

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

You've clearly not seen USA play recently.

Absolutely turgid football team.

Quite.

if you can't get yourself into at least a play off position ahead at least one of panama honduras and Costa Rica there's nothing sad about you not being at the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Speaking of Ireland's style of play, they completed 128 passes on Saturday.

That's 4 passes every 3 minutes.

That is HORRENDOUS.

It was pretty bad you cant say otherwise. The hoofs from defence up to Slab Murphy and/or out to the corner wll be erased from history pretty fast.

In fairness people would do well to understand how tough it is for Ireland to compete and how well it does given its resources. 

Primary schools outside Cork/Dublin have next to no interest in teaching the game and that is almost the same in secondary school. In my years in secondary school not once did we have an in depth soccer lesson in P.E. We fielded a team in GAA, Rugby, Basketball but no soccer. Schools will be drawn to the GAA (Gaelic Football/Hurling) first as it creates a buzz around the whole community.

Urban areas are big into the game but the rural areas are neglected.To the best of my knowledge no player from counties like Kerry, Clare, Mayo, Offaly have represented Ireland since the 70s.

Should Ireland qualify we would more than likely be the 4th smallest by population. And Iceland with their pick at a world cup is almost completely rare. Unlike the team of the late 80s/early 90s we dont have anyone playing at the top clubs like Houghton, Staunton, O,Leary, Brady once did. Damien Duff and John O'Shea were the last players to really make a success of it at the highest level and win trophies. Should we qualify tomorrow it will be our weakest squad by club standings to make a major finals.

Football at elite level makes it hard for Irish players to stand out. Look at how Leicester has changed. It would have been unimaginable during MON's era that we would have 3  international players as subs. The chances for players in the home nations outside England are getting smaller and smaller.

25 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

You're right I haven't, I just remember them being extremely entertaining at previous World Cups.

I'd struggle to name more than a handful of American players these days. Gone are the days of Donovan, Dempsey, Keller, McBride, Wynalda, Lalas etc.

In a strange way, I will miss them too. There's some comfort knowing the US and China aren't big in the world's most globally exposed sport, but at the same time not having either of them present at the biggest stage feels a bit naff.

6 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Hope Denmark go through, mainly because of Kasper but I have a creeping fear that Ireland will get through, draw us in the groups and we still won't beat them. 

I'm never really confident with Denmark, but rarely have I seen such impotent 'attacking' play from a team as RoI demonstrated on Saturday.

I struggle to see the Irish win before a penalty shoot-out, but maybe that's exactly what makes them so dangerous.

Few are expecting anything of them. A lucky bounce, a mistake, a thumping header and Denmark will panic.

19 minutes ago, shen said:

I'm never really confident with Denmark, but rarely have I seen such impotent 'attacking' play from a team as RoI demonstrated on Saturday.

I struggle to see the Irish win before a penalty shoot-out, but maybe that's exactly what makes them so dangerous.

Few are expecting anything of them. A lucky bounce, a mistake, a thumping header and Denmark will panic.

They basically knocked us out because we made one mistake and McLean scored. 

We were like you, lack of dominant goal scorer and just couldn't break them down. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

They basically knocked us out because we made one mistake and McLean scored. 

We were like you, lack of dominant goal scorer and just couldn't break them down. 

And they nearly did the same with the ridiculous solitary chance Cyrus Christie had in the first leg.

We have the goal scorer (Eriksen), but he's partly been so successful because Nicolai Jørgensen, Cornelius and Yussuf Poulsen have been able to hold up the ball or create the space for him.

They're not getting a sniff against the "wall of meat" as coach Hareide calls them lol

3 minutes ago, shen said:

And they nearly did the same with the ridiculous solitary chance Cyrus Christie had in the first leg.

We have the goal scorer (Eriksen), but he's partly been so successful because Nicolai Jørgensen, Cornelius and Yussuf Poulsen have been able to hold up the ball or create the space for him.

They're not getting a sniff against the "wall of meat" as coach Hareide calls them lol

Eriksen is a goalscorer like Bale is, though. He's your "only person likely to score" who spends most of the game in deeper positions trying to win the match. 

You don't quite have (nor do we) a really strong outright striker who's going to trouble their defenders all day. 

An Eriksen or a Bale is just too easy for them to shut down. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Eriksen is a goalscorer like Bale is, though. He's your "only person likely to score" who spends most of the game in deeper positions trying to win the match. 

You don't quite have (nor do we) a really strong outright striker who's going to trouble their defenders all day. 

An Eriksen or a Bale is just too easy for them to shut down. 

Tbf, you didn't have Bale available for the game. But no, Denmark currently have no outright striker. Bendtner isn't recreating his form in Rosenborg and Jørgensen spends too much time away from the box.

We still pose a considerable threat from set pieces and Delaney has a knack for making excellent late runs into the box.

I'm still convinced that a quick tempo along the deck down the flanks will deal with these and all reports are saying that the pitch at the Aviva stadium is paradoxically far superior to the one in Parken.

5 minutes ago, shen said:

Tbf, you didn't have Bale available for the game. But no, Denmark currently have no outright striker. Bendtner isn't recreating his form in Rosenborg and Jørgensen spends too much time away from the box.

We still pose a considerable threat from set pieces and Delaney has a knack for making excellent late runs into the box.

I'm still convinced that a quick tempo along the deck down the flanks will deal with these and all reports are saying that the pitch at the Aviva stadium is paradoxically far superior to the one in Parken.

Bale played in the Dublin game and they totally shut him down. Game was basically identical to be honest. 

They can't be faulted defensively, however boring they are, they are excellent. 

I'd hope Ireland scrape through, though I'd like to see Schmeichel at the WC, so this is a tough one for me!

O'Neill will look for a usual defensive display, and hope to go through 1-0 or on penalties.

This is like a night at The st pats club ! All the Irish in Leicester shouting for the boys in green 

Robbie Walker and his wife , Mr Oakes and Mr Jordan of Northfields/Gypsy Lane the Mayo Doherty Clan and Mr Greg Lynch from Co. Clare from up Braunstone way ... Lots of happy memories of the mighty Irish people of this fine City 

come on you boys in green 

By the will of Jesus , Mary and Joesph we will be packing our cans of stout and heading out to Russia for All the craic and fun of the Moscow pubs 

Archived