Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
La-Sayona

Leicester's NOT A Shiphole - I Want to Make it My Home

A stern salute Foxes.  I wonder if I might bother you with a question since it's the international break and all?

Our eldest, Aethelred the Unready, started university at De Montfort in September.  We've been up to look at the uni and around the town a couple of times and made the trip up yesterday.  He likes it up there and we had a very nice time looking around, especially around the St George district (Queen's Road etc) which looks to be of our sort of stamp - ghetto glam, multicultural shabby chic, militant leftie etc.  

As this has coincided with our dear and very beloved landlord whacking our rent up here in Oxford by yet another £50 per month (now paying £925pm on a 3 bed ex-council semi!) the rents up there look very tempting.  I could get a better house for £600pm up there.  Our daughter, Lilly Longtongue, will also be leaving for uni next summer so it seems like it might be an ideal time to make the move.  We got no family here and not exactly hordes of friends which would make us stay here anyway, it's just really coincidence because of work we ended up here in Cameron's Cosy Caucasian Cotswolds and it seems like it might be time to change our town.

My reason for coming on here is to ask for your genuine thoughts about life in Leicester.  How would you rate it out of 10?  Anyone live in St George's and can talk about that?  Are there better areas where we should be looking?  

I should mention that my other half doesn't drive, so we'd like to be somewhere where we can walk to the shops and get a pint of milk and some cigarettes at night without too much trouble.  We like the countryside OK, but to visit - not to live!  We are latino people and it would be good if there were other latino people about, but that is not so important.   We do like things to be a bit multicultural though, like I said.

Thanks in advance for help!

PS We went to The Golden Lux Cafe in Market Street yesterday for coffee and the pasteles de nata (portuguese custard tarts) were like heaven.  Best thing I've eaten in a long time.  Served warm and crunchy with a gooey custard filling.  Absolutely superb.  If we moved up there, I'd have to eat one every time I went past that shop! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FIF said:

Lilly Longtongue sounds like a form of sexual harrassment, you will not be welcome in Leicester.

We call her that because she's a gossip. You can't have any secrets with her. She tells family business to other people.

But if you prefer, you could use her other nickname - Lady Bountiful.  That's because she brings her friends to the house and gives away all our food....

If you can find anywhere for that sort of money round queens road then do it.

I like that area. Has a few decent bars and shops. Short walk to London rd. And walk across the park and down Newalk will help with the not driving. As you can be in the town centre pretty quickly. Also walking distance to the train station and most importantly the KP lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

A stern salute Foxes.  I wonder if I might bother you with a question since it's the international break and all?

Our eldest, Aethelred the Unready, started university at De Montfort in September.  We've been up to look at the uni and around the town a couple of times and made the trip up yesterday.  He likes it up there and we had a very nice time looking around, especially around the St George district (Queen's Road etc) which looks to be of our sort of stamp - ghetto glam, multicultural shabby chic, militant leftie etc.  

As this has coincided with our dear and very beloved landlord whacking our rent up here in Oxford by yet another £50 per month (now paying £925pm on a 3 bed ex-council semi!) the rents up there look very tempting.  I could get a better house for £600pm up there.  Our daughter, Lilly Longtongue, will also be leaving for uni next summer so it seems like it might be an ideal time to make the move.  We got no family here and not exactly hordes of friends which would make us stay here anyway, it's just really coincidence because of work we ended up here in Cameron's Cosy Caucasian Cotswolds and it seems like it might be time to change our town.

My reason for coming on here is to ask for your genuine thoughts about life in Leicester.  How would you rate it out of 10?  Anyone live in St George's and can talk about that?  Are there better areas where we should be looking?  

I should mention that my other half doesn't drive, so we'd like to be somewhere where we can walk to the shops and get a pint of milk and some cigarettes at night without too much trouble.  We like the countryside OK, but to visit - not to live!  We are latino people and it would be good if there were other latino people about, but that is not so important.   We do like things to be a bit multicultural though, like I said.

PS We went to The Golden Lux Cafe in Market Street yesterday for coffee and the pasteles de nata (portuguese custard tarts) were like heaven.  Best thing I've eaten in a long time.  Served warm and crunchy with a gooey custard filling.  Absolutely superb.  If we moved up there, I'd have to eat one every time I went past that shop! 

:wes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Lilly Longtongue sounds like a form of sexual harrassment

1 hour ago, La-Sayona said:

her other nickname - Lady Bountiful.  That's because she brings her friends to the house and gives away all our food....

Sorry ...    Those two names create a very different picture in my mind ...    :ph34r:

I started this thread many a year ago and it was most certainly a shiphole then.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/8870-is-the-city-of-leicester-a-dump/?page=42&tab=comments#comment-4481566

However since then our Mayor Mr Soulsby has done his best to improve it mainly for the benefit of attracting visitors,  not saying that is wrong because the spin-off benefits help us all although I think LCFC winning the Premier League and King Richard III did more for that than anything Souslby has done.

It's a toss up whether you think the transport has improved there are plenty more bus lanes but they are expensive, plenty more cycle lanes but even the cyclist don't seem to use them and plenty more traffic jams. Perhaps he hasn't achieved his 'big plan' and one day it will all come together working seamlessly.

I've lived in the Queens Road area but that was even more years before I started that thread however I never knew it was called St Georges I thought that was near the train station around St George's church.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

I started this thread many a year ago and it was most certainly a shiphole then.

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/8870-is-the-city-of-leicester-a-dump/?page=42&tab=comments#comment-4481566

However since then our Mayor Mr Soulsby has done his best to improve it mainly for the benefit of attracting visitors,  not saying that is wrong because the spin-off benefits help us all although I think LCFC winning the Premier League and King Richard III did more for that than anything Souslby has done.

It's a toss up whether you think the transport has improved there are plenty more bus lanes but they are expensive, plenty more cycle lanes but even the cyclist don't seem to use them and plenty more traffic jams. Perhaps he hasn't achieved his 'big plan' and one day it will all come together working seamlessly.

I've lived in the Queens Road area but that was even more years before I started that thread however I never knew it was called St Georges I thought that was near the train station around St George's church.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Queens Rd is Clarendon Park, possibly the best of the inner-city areas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

If I might ask, do you go into pubs and call the bar staff "Barkeep" or "Good squire", before asking for a "pint of your best frothy wallop"?

It sounds like you might...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I live in the county and in all honesty dont care much for the city. Its probably good your other half doesnt drive as the traffic around the inner city is crazy. If you want to rent a cheap house close to shops and the city centre then Narborough Road, Fosse Road area is probably best. Its a world away from the Cotswolds but its one if the most multicultural places in England and you'll be close to DeMonfort.

14 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I live in the county and in all honesty dont care much for the city. Its probably good your other half doesnt drive as the traffic around the inner city is crazy. If you want to rent a cheap house close to shops and the city centre then Narborough Road, Fosse Road area is probably best. Its a world away from the Cotswolds but its one if the most multicultural places in England and you'll be close to DeMonfort.

That'll be some culture shock after the dreaming spires...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Narborough Rd is definitely more ethnic and properly ethnic. Clarendon Park (as Buce rightly points out) is more what I thing of as, "OK yah! Let's copy that really cool Berber restaurant we saw in Rabat and that bar in Braga with the hip Pimba band playing in it! All our friends will adore it, especially, Horace, Prenderghast, Penelope and Bellatrix-Peony!" enforced hipster ethnicity. My flesh crawls.

Narborough Rd is cheaper too! :thumbup:

Much cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, La-Sayona said:

I've lived not far from Queens Road (Clarendon Park, not St. George's) for 11 years and am not a native.

- Pending divorce, I'm now renting. I pay £650pm for a decent 2-bed Victorian terrace, but did see places at £600....though you might have to pay more for a 3-bed.

- Depending on how "ghetto glam" and "multicultural shabby" you want to get (lol), you'd be able to get a place cheaper in neighbouring Highfields or on the other side of Welford Road. Stick "LE2" or "within half mile of Queens Rd" in Rightmove and that should clarify.

- Clarendon Park is conveniently located if you've no car: takes me 15 mins to walk to station, 20 to football stadium, 25 to city centre (fairly quick walker - pleasant walk across park/down pedestrian pathway to centre)

- It also has a decent bus service (buses from city up London Rd & Welford Rd till late - 11.40pm on London Rd, bit earlier to Queens Rd. Also easy to get out to the country by bus.

- Local shops are open late (11pm Sainsbury's, 10pm Coop) and area is as safe as most places, within reason

- Clarendon Park is a whiter, more middle-class area than most in Leicester, though it is also very international due to its big student population (lots of foreign students/uni staff etc.)

- As someone who's lived in several other cities, I'd say Leicester punches above its weight for cultural events: decent range of gig venues, good independent cinema & multiplexes, Curve (never been inside!) & small theatres

- I find Leicester people not unfriendly but quite subdued, the middle-aged ones anyway, but that might just be the people I've met, compared to wilder, younger days elsewhere

- Parts of the city centre are quite grotty, others are decent, yet others are naff generic retail centres. It's OK but work in progress, money permitting, I'd say.

I'd give Leicester 7 out of 10, less than London, Manchester or Brighton, but more than Coventry, Plymouth or Salford (other places I've lived).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Clarendon Park (as Buce rightly points out) is more what I thing of as, "OK yah! Let's copy that really cool Berber restaurant we saw in Rabat and that bar in Braga with the hip Pimba band playing in it! All our friends will adore it, especially, Horace, Prenderghast, Penelope and Bellatrix-Peony!" enforced hipster ethnicity. My flesh crawls.

Narborough Rd is cheaper too! :thumbup:

Much cheaper.

lol

Seeds of truth in that but a slight exaggeration....in fact, quite a big exaggeration! 

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

How about Spanish or Portuguese?

Anyway I don't think living in a retail park would be very pleasant.

Only because, if my memory of oblique mythology is correct, La Sayona is a feminist venezuelan myth.