Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

6 nights in New York...?

So planning heading over there early mid next year.

Would appreciate some suggestions as to "must do's" please.

Keep in mind, we are not interested in food or drinking (other than to survive :) ) and looking for a few things that are a little unusual, not the typical stuff. Any of our well traveled FTers or even those living over there that can give us the secrets?

How safe is it... looking at Apartments in The Bronx... im still remembering and basing pretty much all of my planning on "Welcome Back Kotter."...so :)

Image result for welcome back kotter

Appreciate any ideas, locations and suggestions... thanks folks :)

Go see the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Was a good night when me and the wife went. We also went to see a show but be careful where you buy tickets from (show or the basketball) don't buy them at the venue or from the hotel you stay at (if you end up in a hotel). Just go online and you can get them much cheaper.

The New York City Pass is well worth it as well if you do decide to do the normal sightseeing stuff.

There are some nice Cuban bars/restaurants that were really good, cant remember the name unfortunately.

If I think of anything else ill let you know

From memory me and a University mate stayed on East 42nd Street; never for a second felt overly unsafe or on edge; even when walking back for a mile or so alone in the early hours after becoming bored watching my mate try (and fail) to pull. 

Loved doing all the touristy stuff, Central Park, Empire State, Rockerfeller etc.  We went to watch the Yankees which was an experience if nothing else, utterly boring spectacle though. I wasn't overly keen on the subway, probably the worst of the major cities I've been to (Paris, London etc) - tended to walk everywhere unless it was verging on the ridiculous.  

We stayed in Brooklyn. Really nice airbnb, around £80 a night, Prospect Heights. I'll send you the link if you like.

Check out Earls beer & cheese, Joes Shanghai for dumplings and Maison Premiere for oysters and cocktails.

We're spending Christmas there this year, 18th - 26th in Manhattan, can't wait.

I love how he’s said he’s not interested in food or drink yet about 90% of the recommendations are for exactly that lol.

Ive been twice and can’t think of much not mentioned already other than an evening boat tour which was fantastic, got a helecopter tour on Groupon before as well which was good but expensive.

Definitely go to the Football Factory on matchday to hang out with your fellow Foxes! It's opposite the Empire State Building so you could probably kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Something I'd recommend is getting the F train to Roosevelt Island then walking round the corner to the Tram - which is actually a cable car. It takes you back over the river to Manhattan but gives you a unique experience of the city.

Broadway shows are very expensive so choose well.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Definitely go to the Football Factory on matchday to hang out with your fellow Foxes! It's opposite the Empire State Building so you could probably kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Something I'd recommend is getting the F train to Roosevelt Island then walking round the corner to the Tram - which is actually a cable car. It takes you back over the river to Manhattan but gives you a unique experience of the city.

Broadway shows are very expensive so choose well.

Brilliant, they are two suggestions i will definitly take up :)

Cheers

As someone said, the new York pass is a must, a massive money saver. When you do the empire state to around midnight and you won't get any queues. If you are wanting to get close to the statue of liberty then take a trip on the state island ferry which goes right past it. Then you can get it right back and carry on your day, all quicker than standing in a queue to get to the statue. 

Shame you're not interested in food and drink as NY as so many great places for that.

I went for 6 nights in September and loved it. Things we did that weren't food or drink related...

I would say get up early one day and go to Times Square, completely different place when nobody is around. Same with Central Park. 

IMG_04392.JPG

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

New York is basically just London, I really wouldn't bother. Go to New Orleans and Nashville for something different.

(I may or may not have been to New York, New Orleans or Nashville lol).

Trouble is, I find, whenever you've been to City so much you've sort of done it all? (Well not it 'all' but the main sightseeing things). I take it you live in London, so you see it all the time.

First time I went to London I loved it because everything was new to me, but now if I go I don't really like it. I don't think it's any different to going to any major UK City (I much prefer going to Manchester and Liverpool than London).

I want to go to New York to see the main sightseeing things and where the Twin Towers were, Central Park etc but I imagine once I've been and that's ticked off I would look into going elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Trouble is, I find, whenever you've been to City so much you've sort of done it all? (Well not it 'all' but the main sightseeing things). I take it you live in London, so you see it all the time.

First time I went to London I loved it because everything was new to me, but now if I go I don't really like it. I don't think it's any different to going to any major UK City (I much prefer going to Manchester and Liverpool than London).

I want to go to New York to see the main sightseeing things and where the Twin Towers were, Central Park etc but I imagine once I've been and that's ticked off I would look into going elsewhere. 

After I took the wife New York last year she cant wait to go back. Yet im the same as you. Ive done the main sightseeing things so im not sure I can be bothered to do New York again. Would rather go somewhere else entirely.

Also the same feelings with London. I just find whenever I go to London the place is a dump. Never been to Liverpool but loved Manchester when I went there.

Not sure what tickles your pickle.

But best night ever.....

http://cafewha.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g60763-d548418-Reviews-or10-Cafe_Wha-New_York_City_New_York.html

In great part of Greenwich

Enjoyed the food tour also even though it looks a bit crappy on paper

Good history of the area  https://www.foodsofny.com/foods-ny-tours/original-greenwich-village/

Chelsea village/market great.

Roof top bar of Refinery hotel

https://www.refineryhotelnewyork.com/dine-and-drink/refinery-rooftop/

is also a great place to stay if you get a deal, very slick

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d3344640-Reviews-Refinery_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

13 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

After I took the wife New York last year she cant wait to go back. Yet im the same as you. Ive done the main sightseeing things so im not sure I can be bothered to do New York again. Would rather go somewhere else entirely.

Also the same feelings with London. I just find whenever I go to London the place is a dump. Never been to Liverpool but loved Manchester when I went there.

Off the beaten track New York is grim, wouldn't personally swap with London if going to the right places.

Give Leeds a go, no longer dirty!!

Go regular, makes our beloved city look even more of a total toilet

On 15/11/2017 at 14:49, kingcarr21 said:

Go see the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Was a good night when me and the wife went. We also went to see a show but be careful where you buy tickets from (show or the basketball) don't buy them at the venue or from the hotel you stay at (if you end up in a hotel). Just go online and you can get them much cheaper.

The New York City Pass is well worth it as well if you do decide to do the normal sightseeing stuff.

There are some nice Cuban bars/restaurants that were really good, cant remember the name unfortunately.

If I think of anything else ill let you know

Ruddy sports tourists! :angry:

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 15:35, ozleicester said:

So planning heading over there early mid next year.

Would appreciate some suggestions as to "must do's" please.

Keep in mind, we are not interested in food or drinking (other than to survive :) ) and looking for a few things that are a little unusual, not the typical stuff. Any of our well traveled FTers or even those living over there that can give us the secrets?

How safe is it... looking at Apartments in The Bronx... im still remembering and basing pretty much all of my planning on "Welcome Back Kotter."...so :)

Image result for welcome back kotter

Appreciate any ideas, locations and suggestions... thanks folks :)

If you like , all types of music..Think of the famous classical venues...Carnegie/ Radio city...etc.

All  around New york, in or away from Manhatten, some top quality Jazz or conventional music bars.Some real top acts, who just dont, want  the star fame.

Hop on hop off city tour busses, run 24hrs. 

Harlem has alot to offer....

12 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I can't ever imagine going on holiday and not being interested in food or drink. Properly weird 

I reckon @oz  knows how he will approach the  eateries.Not many tips needed really.

In a 6 day visit, while walking and depending where one finds oneself, the choice for

snacks/Delis, norm to top restaurants is not a problem.

Archived