Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

'Plaudits for our atmosphere' ?! Not any more

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s being killed by the current shit songbook that no one wants to join in with. Bring back we love yer and mix it up with a bit of riyad riyad riyad , there’s no limit style.

Couldn’t agree more, we have used shocking songs of late, the old faithfuls are still there to use

4 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I found it funny, the atmosphere was shocking, but at least some had a bit about them to acknowledge it, and get the chant in before they did, with a bit of dark humour 

Huddersfield sang it quite a few times before we did actually, which kind of took away any irony.

Perhaps those with 'a bit about them' should forget a lame attempt at taking the piss out of ourselves and actually sing some fvcking songs?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

Huddersfield sang it quite a few times before we did actually, which kind of took away any irony.

Perhaps those with 'a bit about them' should forget a lame attempt at taking the piss out of ourselves and actually sing some fvcking songs?

I presume you're leading the way from your seat...

8 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

**** me, it’s a football match, your talking with such bitterness towards your own fans.

I love a sing song as much as the next person, that’s why I go in l1, but if people don’t sing, I have more to worry about.

I found it funny, I stand at the top, I heard is this a library a few times, but that’s the first time I heard that, but I don’t even know why I’m explaining, I found it funny

12 hours ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Have to say the home support is an absolute shambles. L1 might as well disperse and mix in with the rest of us. They've become an apologetic noise based on individuals who appear terrified those around won't join in so your left with this half hearted 'hum' which plays in to the away fans hands. We are bossed by all opposing support with Huddersfield ridiculing us throughout. We only come alive once we've scored and often then it's for 30 seconds after. 

Couple of friends (non supporters) who have been down this year have commented "your lot just smack those clappers and sit in silence?!". Harsh and sadly true - never would have imagined that from filbo days. 

Away ends are cringeworthy with small pockets of miss timed  efforts. The song book is ridiculously limited, literally all visiting support embarrasses us with catchy different songs for players or management. We nick the odd chant and live off it for 3 seasons....

These two problems are one and the same. People petrified of singing something they haven't heard another fanbase sing or which isn't a shit Sloop John B ripoff because they're scared of being laughed at.

Shame more don't adopt the attitude of the lads at Liverpool (mix of L1 and SK1) who were singing the Iborra chant. You're not going to wither and die if you and a few mates belt something out in a quiet away end FFS. And if someone outsings you with a different chant, so what? At least something got people going.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s being killed by the current shit songbook that no one wants to join in with. Bring back we love yer and mix it up with a bit of riyad riyad riyad , there’s no limit style.

Have to agree, everything just sounds a boring droning mess at the moment and most people just shrug their shoulders as they have no idea what it is that's being sung. They just don't encourage your average fan to get involved.

On top of that we're experiencing a safe / comfortable season where in reality we're going down knowing we'll probably be fine and nicely midtable. We've had season after season of drama that usually adds to the atmosphere.

The clappers are the root cause of this in the Kop at least.

The noise travels round to C Block where I'm based and would've joined in with the Silva song but it was drowned out by the rhythmic clappering (if that's a word).

Seems to me that fans want to join in but are unable to because of the racket. If that makes sense.

• Like 2

On 03/01/2018 at 17:30, Spudulike said:

The clappers are the root cause of this in the Kop at least.

The noise travels round to C Block where I'm based and would've joined in with the Silva song but it was drowned out by the rhythmic clappering (if that's a word).

Seems to me that fans want to join in but are unable to because of the racket. If that makes sense.

Clappers got people involved but they eventually drown a song out pretty quickly before it just ends up sounding like a thunderstorm on the roof of a greenhouse. People clap with them, speed up and naturally the song dies. You can't get a proper song going around the ground with clappers there.

I also agree with anyone who has said they've helped breed a laziness in supporting.

• Like 3

I think that the clappers have had their day, and the sooner the club realises it ... the better.

They seemed to help initially.  

At the end of the "great escape" season (2014-15) they helped create a right racket, and probably got people involved who would otherwise have been too shy to make some noise.

Personally, I would have stopped using them at the end of that season ... and just brought them back for "special occasions" or emergencies as needed!

In hindsight they weren't too bad in the title year.  The atmosphere was so good anyway, it didn't really make an difference if you were screaming, singing, clapping or bashing your cardboard clapper about.  

But since then they simply haven't "worked" and are now actually making the situation worse. 

As has been said above, every time a song starts ... the clappers actually drown it out and prevent the songs spreading.

So what might have helped at the start, is now having the opposite effect.

And they sound awful on the TV.   Worse actually than in real life.

And other clubs like Huddersfield and Swansea and others are now using them,  

Time to move on.

But if the club persist in handing them out ... just ignore them.  Use your hand to clap and mouth to sing.

I won't whinge about the clappers, as the noise certainly would have given the players that extra couple of % they needed at times in the title season- you never know, we may never have won it without them. We may have even gone down the season before!

I don't think they're helping matters now though. Nobody seems to use them, and the people that do can't keep a steady rhythm.

I think a certain percentage of our fanbase have just become spoilt. So what if we never have a season look 15/16 again, most clubs won't. The mentality needs to change. I must admit that when I see Huddersfield's home atmosphere I wish that we still had their enthusiasm. 

• Like 3

Not interested in arguing how good or bad our support is, as we are by far not the best, or worst in the country.

But anybody who say that performance didn’t affect the atmosphere is off their head, **** me I watched on tv, and got that excited, I had to fight the urge to switch it off.

Really don’t get the need to moan about the atmosphere, it’s not everybody’s cup of tea, if you enjoy going and sing, do it, if you like going, and just enjoy the experience, do it.

Shouldnt be so judgemental, and I’d rather be like us, than a plastic ultra fan base like palace, and would like our support to be as good as Man U away fans, but we are not either, but **** it, if I wanted to be around fans like that, I’d go and support them, but I support city, and glad I do

• Like 1

Full of angry old men on the back of individual players after about 10 minutes. It was absolutely terrible but come on, we know now that the crowd only feeds off what happens on the pitch, we're a reactive crowd, not a pro-active one.

Also, if you're going to chant "stuck to the F1, you should have stuck to the F1..." at a TV presenter, make sure it's to Jake Humphrey and not Dan Walker, who has never presented F1 on the BBC. Bizarre. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Was pretty hopeful after hearing loud renditions of WYS and Boot Boys on the tele early on. Shame it fell flat.

Wish more could have the attitude of those 40 odd lads in the Fleetwood end who were going for it all game. Still, why be "plastic ultras" when it's far more fun to stand in silence for 90 minutes then have a dig on Twitter after the game eh?

That rendition of WYS was probably the best I've heard in a long time. Shame, because it sounds great when belted out in numbers.