Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

PDC World Darts Championship 2018

Guest Harrydc
5 minutes ago, Ian W LCFC said:

Unbelievable match. Credit to both players, not sure how Cross kept his nerve at the end with Van den Bergh putting on that much pressure.

MVG and Taylor to get through tonight I reckon.

The thing you've gotta remember when your playing darts is that your playing the board not the player. What the opposition scores has nothing to do with what you score.

Guest Harrydc
17 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:
2 hours ago, Harrydc said:
The thing you've gotta remember when your playing darts is that your playing the board not the player. What the opposition scores has nothing to do with what you score.

Except when your opponent suddenly has a coughing fit on your throw.

Was disgraceful by Justin Pipe haha

4 hours ago, Harrydc said:

You’re playing against that little bloke in the back of your head whose saying don’t miss this don’t miss this as well

2 hours ago, kingfox said:

And this is why the PDC World Darts Championship is one of my favourite sporting events of the year, because you get nights like this.

Just a shame you cant teach the fvcking idiots in attendence that an actual dart match is being played, which is possibly more important than paying £25 for a pitcher of ale and then thinking the Yaya/Kolo song is the best part of the day.

Turning into a circus and a shame for the fans who buy a ticket to actually watch a session of darts.

Edited by EastAnglianFox

8 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just a shame you cant teach the fvcking idiots in attendence that an actual dart match is being played, which is possibly more important than paying £25 for a pitcher of ale and then thinking the Yaya/Kolo song is the best part of the day.

Turning into a circus and a shame for the fans who buy a ticket to actually watch a session of darts.

Playing devil's advocate here but isnt that a part of the reason it became a lot more popular to the masses?

10 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

It is a circus that is why it is so popular. You don't expect the audiences to be forced to drink diet coke do you ?

The players are used to it .... seen the reception Taylor gets when he plays north of the border ?

23 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

It is a circus that is why it is so popular. You don't expect the audiences to be forced to drink diet coke do you ?

The players are used to it .... seen the reception Taylor gets when he plays north of the border ?

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Playing devil's advocate here but isnt that a part of the reason it became a lot more popular to the masses?

I agree it is why it has become so popular but I also think that could also become it's downfall.

I have no issue when its a genuine rivalry with a certain player or as mentioned when Phil plays north of the border which I have witnessed first hand and it's incredible but you were still surrounded by people who wanted to watch the game of darts. Last time I went to a Premier league event I swear we were surrounded by table after table of pissed up people who didn't even face the oche once, found it hysterical to keep launching pints of piss at each other then miss the last couple of hours after being chucked out for fighting ( this happens week after week at these events)

Im fortunate to work in the events industry (or unfortunate if you dislike sport) and arrange Dart exbo's up and down the country and get to chat to the players on a regular basis and this topic always comes up and believe me 90% of the players aren't "used to it" and over the last 3-4 years our security just at these local exhibitions has doubled due to the type of person now attending and the players who used to spend hours mingling and drinking with the crowd, now have a set 20 minutes early on to have pictures/chat and after that have to stay in the V.I.P players bar.

But then I'm always a miserable fvcker this time of year lol and I understand hey if you pay your money you can do what you want? Would be nice to hear opinions of people who have been to some big events lately and how it was for you guys? Little read here for anybody that might be a bit bored today, and this was from a couple of years back.

https://cornishtalks.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/the-pdc-have-created-a-monster-they-are-now-slaves-to-it/

37 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I agree it is why it has become so popular but I also think that could also become it's downfall.

I have no issue when its a genuine rivalry with a certain player or as mentioned when Phil plays north of the border which I have witnessed first hand and it's incredible but you were still surrounded by people who wanted to watch the game of darts. Last time I went to a Premier league event I swear we were surrounded by table after table of pissed up people who didn't even face the oche once, found it hysterical to keep launching pints of piss at each other then miss the last couple of hours after being chucked out for fighting ( this happens week after week at these events)

Im fortunate to work in the events industry (or unfortunate if you dislike sport) and arrange Dart exbo's up and down the country and get to chat to the players on a regular basis and this topic always comes up and believe me 90% of the players aren't "used to it" and over the last 3-4 years our security just at these local exhibitions has doubled due to the type of person now attending and the players who used to spend hours mingling and drinking with the crowd, now have a set 20 minutes early on to have pictures/chat and after that have to stay in the V.I.P players bar.

But then I'm always a miserable fvcker this time of year lol and I understand hey if you pay your money you can do what you want? Would be nice to hear opinions of people who have been to some big events lately and how it was for you guys? Little read here for anybody that might be a bit bored today, and this was from a couple of years back.

https://cornishtalks.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/the-pdc-have-created-a-monster-they-are-now-slaves-to-it/

Fair comment and an interesting post

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

In terms of the PDC you can look at it two ways, so much good yet still some bad. It's hard to say negative things about the atmosphere, especially after last night, plus the PDC always sell out their major events, whether it's the Worlds or Premier League for example. 

You've been getting crowds like this for years now, it's part and parcel of the PDC, plus in my opinion the PDC has never been so popular as it is now. Whatever goes on at these events they'll still get sell out crowds, and the organisation will still continue to grow.

Yes they boo, yes they get pissed and sing stupid songs but everyone is so used to it now. Yesterday they booed because they wanted the matches to go on longer, can you blame them for that? Players should be used to it now, the more experienced ones know what to expect.

You look at the BDO though and it's completely different, there you have passionate Darts fans packing the Lakeside which gives it that family friendly atmosphere.

And yes the quality of the BDO has dropped considerably over the years; however both organisations are good for different reasons, it just depends what you prefer.

I hate the crowd nowadays too. The same boring three songs over and over and over and over all night. Yaya/Kolo, Boring Boring Tables, Please Don't Take Me Home - All three are immensely tedious. And most people are there just to get wrecked and sing those same songs.

Also I really don't like this thing of booing (or ooooohing) on important doubles either. If I was a player it would piss me off as it's a distraction you can't really ignore.

the atmosphere is what made it more popular but it has gone full circle and made it much less popular with actual darts fans. 

the crowd can still be superb, in the dimitri/cross game yesterday they were fully involved in the actual match and very nearly got dimitri over the line from a mile back. that's the type of "atmosphere" you want to see, rather than, as said, singing about kolo toure. 

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Also I really don't like this thing of booing (or ooooohing) on important doubles either. If I was a player it would piss me off as it's a distraction you can't really ignore.

It just depends on the situation of the match, as I said above like yesterday for example they did it because they wanted the matches to go on longer, in those situations in particular Rob Cross and MVG know what to expect.

On the other hand if you're there watching someone like Mervyn King or Justin Pipe, you'd boo the shit out of them regardless lol

4 hours ago, The Bear said:

I hate the crowd nowadays too. The same boring three songs over and over and over and over all night. Yaya/Kolo, Boring Boring Tables, Please Don't Take Me Home - All three are immensely tedious. And most people are there just to get wrecked and sing those same songs.

Don't forget Walking in a Taylor wonderland