Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

What's The Worst Smell You've Ever Encountered?

1. My sister was in Groby Road hospital for a heart operation 48 years ago. The girl in the next bed had had some teeth extracted and they were in a plastic pot by the bed with a lid on. My sister opened the pot and told me to smell it. I was around 3 at the time and it must be my earliest memory, rotting teeth.

2. A fart, yes a plain old fart. In a pub in Oadby 30 years ago. My mate liked sprouts and he dropped this guy turning fart in the pub one Sunday night. My stomach was turning more than his did I reckon. 

2 hours ago, thursday_next said:

My parents used to run a funeral business. When I was 18, I got roused from my bed in the early hours and was told that we needed 3 men to move a corpse in Thamesmead, which was 5 miles away. It was the coldest night of the year. When we got there, we discovered that it was a man in his mid-20s, who weighed approximately 18st, and had suffocated himself with carbon monoxide by keeping his car engine going in his garage, five days ago. I have never smelt anything which was as vile as that. Apparently carbon monoxide poisoning, if it's bad enough, makes your stomach explode. We drove back with all the windows open and all of us, including the driver, were dangling our heads out - it was definitely a **** the Highway Code moment. We had to have the hearse valeted later that day, and we had to pay double the price to find someone who'd do it.

I am now embarrassed that my mates fart in a pub in Oadby sits on the same thread as this one. 

Work experiance(do schools still do that?)Cattle market in Leicester,about 1983.Everyone else i knew at school went to a normal place,but i ended up in a slaughter house and loved every minute of it.......until i was taken to "the gutting room".To cut a long story short this is where they gutted all the fresh chickens.I lasted about 5 seconds before i was wretching!Must have been about where Morrisons is now.Upside was the sausage and bacon cobs(from what is now the Counting House everyday were great.... and i got to bring a load of meat and £50 home at the end!

A+E placement around 1994/95 an old lady from uppingham road way came in via a taxi , I was working on triage and she told reception  she had a sore leg 

as she was in her 80’s they brought her through and she had a dressing on her leg the dressing looked like a giant dried used tea bag all brown and crusty 

anyway we got some gloves on and after gentle prying the crusty teabag type dressing eventually came off , as it lifted  the smell hit me straight up the nostrils like poppers it sent my senses spinning including turning my stomach inside out ,  I near passed out with the violence of the smell , underneath the teabag type dressing were hundreds and hundreds  of live and seeping white maggots eating her flesh and rotting away in a leg sore ! 

The sight will stay with me forever , the smell faded but I can still remember the pungent disgusting Wiff I got that evening ! 

She lived the old lady , but only just 

I used to work as a window fitter and one day I went to a job in Thorpe Astley. It was at a house occupied by a brother and sister but owned by the parents. I was there just to replace a piece of glass in the kitchen so only a simple job. Upon entering the kitchen I encountered a pile of stinking used nappies, soiled knickers and used needles. Needless to say I took one look at the scene and walked out but the stench is something that will stay with me forever. To this day I wonder if there was baby in the house.

5 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

A+E placement around 1994/95 an old lady from uppingham road way came in via a taxi , I was working on triage and she told reception  she had a sore leg 

as she was in her 80’s they brought her through and she had a dressing on her leg the dressing looked like a giant dried used tea bag all brown and crusty 

anyway we got some gloves on and after gentle prying the crusty teabag type dressing eventually came off , as it lifted  the smell hit me straight up the nostrils like poppers it sent my senses spinning including turning my stomach inside out ,  I near passed out with the violence of the smell , underneath the teabag type dressing were hundreds and hundreds  of live and seeping white maggots eating her flesh and rotting away in a leg sore ! 

The sight will stay with me forever , the smell faded but I can still remember the pungent disgusting Wiff I got that evening ! 

Jeez !! ....    You win Paddy ! ...    Glad I'd eaten before I read that one ...    Will be my first story down the pub ...

15 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Actually, maggots are sometimes used now for cleaning gangrenous wounds because they will only eat dead flesh.

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I've got that Friday feeling.  Can you tell?

While draining stagnant water from the innards of my washing machine last night, which smelt pretty ripe, I can tell you, I started reflecting on previous disgusting odours I have encountered.

Obviously, a pile of sick or a chod smell pretty bad, but what about unexpected pungency from other quarters?

The worst smells I can recall are my housemate's carrots that turned into some sort of ectoplasm on a shelf in my kitchen, and the room in which unspecified waste material was kept in a local factory where I was employed briefly many years ago making a popular meat based snack, which I can only describe as not being of this earth (the smell, not the snack).

Get sharing, good people.  Rep points available for anything that makes me feel a bit sick

This is probably the greatest sentence ever published on Foxestalk.

3 hours ago, baker11 said:

Work in student accommodation, I have to deal with some pretty God dam awful smells.

Live in student accommodation, I have to deal with some pretty God dam awful smells.

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Live in student accommodation, I have to deal with some pretty God dam awful smells.

I go into the rooms doing Fire testing and can confirm their are some disgusting people in them. 

The worst smell I ever encountered was in a council tower block, I had to fit some tv/sat points in each flat and this one guy opened his door and it was grim. He clearly had mental health problems and belonged in care, the floor was waste high with rubbish and I don’t think the toilet had been flushed since 1982. The bath was the cleanest thing in the flat because clearly he hadn’t noticed it existed and the smell was unbearable. I couldn’t even get my head through the door before I started gagging. That smell will haunt me until the day I die, I’ve worked in mortuaries and sewers that had nothing on this guy.

2 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

Smelt that too, I feel like I can smell it again now?

One of of my old customers used to make sausage skins out of pig bladders or something along those lines.

warm summer days and dead flesh isn't nice.Apparently when they closed they had to demolish the building, it had seeped into the plaster.

went crabbing in France whilst on holiday one year.

my lad wasn't that old and collected and stacked the buckets after release,however he hadnt taken them all out and one was trapped between the buckets.

Didnt go in my car for about 5 days and it was baking hot.

long journey home I can tell you

Mainly customers at work. We have one customer whose feet are an absolute abomination! It’s one of them where you contemplate just telling them not to wash their feet in smegma and get out.

We had another than I would be sitting in a locked office and would be able to tell when a customer was in without looking. The second he left I would chase him out with airfresher. Grim.

17 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Mainly customers at work. We have one customer whose feet are an absolute abomination! It’s one of them where you contemplate just telling them not to wash their feet in smegma and get out.

We had another than I would be sitting in a locked office and would be able to tell when a customer was in without looking. The second he left I would chase him out with airfresher. Grim.

How do people not know they stink? Surely even if you can’t smell it, peoples faces grimacing would be a big hint.

Used to work on Leicester market on Saturday mornings selling women's shoes.  No leather in sight, they were all cheap plastic shit - mostly stilettos.  Used to get 20 stoners dragging their feral kids around town, asking if they could try a shoe on.  They'd squeeze their fat stumps into a pair of stilettos, realise they would end up in a wheel chair wearing them & pass them back.  Smackheads buying shoes for work.  The fvcking stink they would leave on the shoe.

£1 per hour I used to earn  (but you could get into the Family Enclosure for about a quid in those days)

Archived