Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Albrighton. Underrated?

Just now, matty98 said:

He's not underrated, wish people would stop saying someone's underrated after a good game. He gets praise when he plays well and criticism when he plays badly, that's how it should be. 

Spot on.

Albrighton rarely has average games, he’s often brilliant or dogshit with the ball.

Can't ever criticise his work rate, but apart from opening game at Arsenal he'd been poor until October. Looking great right now, and how Villa must kick themselves. 

Fact he's not even mentioned in the same breath as the words England squad is a joke. 

Same for Simpson too 

24 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Can't ever criticise his work rate, but apart from opening game at Arsenal he'd been poor until October. Looking great right now, and how Villa must kick themselves. 

Fact he's not even mentioned in the same breath as the words England squad is a joke. 

Same for Simpson too 

But then, the England squad is a joke.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lovejoy said:

Albrighton is his own worst enemy. When he attacks he is a really decent player. But all too often he'd rather play left back. Needs to have the balls to play as a proper winger as that's what he does best.

Thought today he had an all round good game. Really enjoyed him, and have for the last couple of games.

Think they're all responding well to Puel

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

No, he gets slaughtered regularly by some people on here; who are constantly talking as if he is some sort of clogger that belongs in the Championship.

Compare that with some players, who are equally inconsistent, but have a very loud and worshipping fanbase that defend them to the hilt no matter what, and you can safely say he is underrated.

I don't like it that great crossing ability and the rare quality to look for killer through balls before defences can get organised is overlooked so often these days in preference of step-overs and looking really fancy without actually going forward quick enough. You watch so many players now who think they need several touches to do something, making the very simple look very complicated.

At the other end of the spectrum - Albrighton makes very good things look very simple. And that's because quite often, they are.

He never looks spectacular, but it seems to me that's because he'd rather play a simple forward pass straight away, rather than carry it for a few yards, at which point the defence has got back into position. Vardy's goal against Spurs was a perfect example of this.

In terms of end product, Albrighton is as good as anyone we have. It's woeful that he hasn't played for England over the last 2 years, he would have been a huge asset with a Kane and Vardy frontline (another glaringly obvious idea that has never been tried). Certainly at the time of the Euros he simply should have been in the first 11. There is such a bias against players like him from clubs like ours to the extent that you can't even hypothetically pick him on the BBC fantasy England squad selector.

He is the very defintion of underrated.

For the majority of the season he's been awful and therefore criticised, now he's playing well he's getting credit for it, don't see how that can possibly make him underrated. If he was getting criticised despite playing well then you'd have a point. 

2 hours ago, kushiro said:

I can't think of any other player who is fouled more often without the ref giving a free kick. It's iike there's some special Albrighton rule - opposition players can have one free whack at him. And yet after a brief moment of remonstration he just gets up and gets on with it. 

Ulloa must've been up there.

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Was fantastic today and v Spurs. 

Has a tendency to always cut back onto his right foot and launch it, and in some games that all he seems to do. That's when he frustrates me. When he puts a little more thought into his play then he's very good. Can never question his work ethic though, no matter how well he plays.

This

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

surely one of the best free transfer signings ever for what he's contributed to the team.

Villa are absolute mugs.

When he plays right wing you can see why they let him go, 100% more effective on the left as he doesn’t have to take anyone on.

9 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Albrighton is his own worst enemy. When he attacks he is a really decent player. But all too often he'd rather play left back. Needs to have the balls to play as a proper winger as that's what he does best.

He's probably doing as he's told in fairness.  As he's naturally a right winger, he's played on the left to do a particular job which sometimes doesn't paint him in the best light, he nevertheless does that job selflessly. 

10 hours ago, peterborofox said:

Same for Simpson too 

Don't want to knock our own players, but Albrighton and Simpson shouldn't be anywhere near an England squad. Solid prem players, but not good enough I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I remember him when he first came on to the scene at villa, frankly I couldn’t believe they let him go, but their loss was our gain as I was well chuffed when I heard we were going to sign him. One of the best free transfers ever and I bet he didn’t expect a cheeky league title when he signed for us!

3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He's probably doing as he's told in fairness.  As he's naturally a right winger, he's played on the left to do a particular job which sometimes doesn't paint him in the best light, he nevertheless does that job selflessly. 

I think second half yesterday he remembered he wasn't having to help bombscare Fuchs and the shackles were off. His runs were excellent and he was in positions to whip balls into the box. There may be mileage in the suggestion that it's orders, but he needs to take a chance and get forward more often.

• Like 1