Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Albrighton. Underrated?

I think Albrighton is quite a rare player these days.

There arent many genuine wide midfielders in the game. David Beckham was the last genuine quality wide midfield player. Robbie Brady to an extent plays as a wide midfielder, Ward Prowse possibly but without as much quality, same with Chris Brunt.

But to me it seems a position you rarely see now.

You still see genuine wingers but even these players are far less abundant now. Douglas Costa and Sane probably two of the best exponents of the winger position in football today.

Every wide player secretly wants to be a number 10 and cut inside. We see plenty of those, of varying abilities.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2017 at 23:49, Leicesterpool said:

Found it amazing really in the last two years he hasn't been considered for at least one england call up, can put some excellent crosses into the box. Perhaps something England need, yes we've got a few good wingers currently but a lot prefer dribble it in the box rather than cross it. 

Should definitely have got a call up. Him and Kane could work a treat. Just get the feeling he is a bit too old fashioned style wise for the way Southgate wants wingers to play. 

If England are going to persist with playing a wingback system, Albrighton would be worth a call up for me. Walker can play there, Trippier is OK, but more of an out and out fullback than a wing back, and others like Clyne are just right backs playing out of position. Marc did the job superbly in the great escape, and wing back is definitely a position for which there aren't lots of options, as most players are either full backs who aren't attacking enough or wingers who can't defend properly.

Quite simply the most reliable consistent player in the team over the last 3-4 years , the fact that players such as Livermore, Barclay, the permanently injured Wilshire and others who should be nowhere near the England squad are picked in front of him is nothing short of disgraceful.

The only possible explanation is that he is regarded as "Unfashionable" whatever that means...........super servant to our club  but sadly will probably never get the cap he so richly deserves.

I can imagine albrighton running himself into the ground in a pointless friendly vs kahzakstan so probably best for himself and us he never "graces" the three lions.

We know he is a consistent hard worker but until he scores regularly and his crosses become assists in a system we don't currently play, he won't get the call.

53 minutes ago, btswift94 said:

Dele Alli is the only english player with more assists this season. He's one off the likes of Eriksen, Ozil & Mahrez who are all lauded for their creativity and quality. 

image.png

He's neither a creative player nor a game changer though. He's more of a very good support player. You can't compare him to De Bruyne, MKhitaryan, Eriksen, Silva or Mahrez who pull the strings and lead the attack. His assists come from crosses only. No through ball for example and he rarely beats his man. He neither has their game vision, their ability on the ball, nor their passing range or variety. He also doesn't score much.

Albrighton's a monster when it comes to work rate and defensive committment. Totally devoted to the team, one of those players you're happy to have in your team. But a creative one he ain't.

Still don't understand why no one gave him a call for the national team.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.lcfc.com/news/671248/marc-albrighton-the-dynamic-creator/featured

With Marc Albrighton currently enjoying one of his most productive seasons as a Leicester City player, LCFC.com takes an in-depth look at the winger’s 2017/18 statistics.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

https://www.lcfc.com/news/671248/marc-albrighton-the-dynamic-creator/featured

With Marc Albrighton currently enjoying one of his most productive seasons as a Leicester City player, LCFC.com takes an in-depth look at the winger’s 2017/18 statistics.

It's interesting that his stats are much better as I personally feel he has not been as good / as consistent this season. Last year he also struggled but once Shakespeare came in was incredible, especially against Liverpool and Sevilla. Still love him to bits of course. You get the feeling he'd be a top mate if you knew him in real life.

I thought he looked quite good at Right Back against Southampton as it meant overlapping runs on the right hand side and almost played in Vardy for a goal.

I wonder what will happen to him next season? Think he will remain with us and playing a decent number of games, but if Puel stays wouldn't be surprised if we sign players that are ahead of him at both winger and right back positions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's interesting that his stats are much better as I personally feel he has not been as good / as consistent this season. Last year he also struggled but once Shakespeare came in was incredible, especially against Liverpool and Sevilla. Still love him to bits of course. You get the feeling he'd be a top mate if you knew him in real life.

I thought he looked quite good at Right Back against Southampton as it meant overlapping runs on the right hand side and almost played in Vardy for a goal.

I wonder what will happen to him next season? Think he will remain with us and playing a decent number of games, but if Puel stays wouldn't be surprised if we sign players that are ahead of him at both winger and right back positions.

I think it's inevitable that when results are going against the team fans notice the negatives more than the positives, I've thought that Vardy was missing al ot more chances this season but facts/stats show otherwise.

I think he's still a very valuable player for us and I hope we keep him around for a long time yet. I think he'll become our go to utility player in years to come our own James Milner if you like.

• Like 1

I think the fact he is incredibly clumsy in possession and really struggles to keep possession in tight areas counts against him, as does his lack of a left peg. For all his technique in crossing and long passing, his technique in short passing is awful and suspect ball control. His stats may be good but he lacks the basics in many ways, and no amount of effort can cover that up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think it's inevitable that when results are going against the team fans notice the negatives more than the positives, I've thought that Vardy was missing al ot more chances this season but facts/stats show otherwise.

I am not top much on stats.

Albrighton and Vardy ,are simply the 2 players I enjoy watching the most,including Mahrez.

They are simply 2 honest English players.When I question players commitment and attitude

these 2 are never the ones in thought.

Albrighton crosses,are rarely poor IMHO. OutsideVardy and Mahrez trying to  come in off the flanks ,

nobody else Busts a gut,or importantantly shows the  Initiative to show that continual drive Into

the box.

Not once neither under Ranieri and Shakespeare have we been seen to use,

Albrighton use Slimani or Nacho has delibrate penalty box targets,as one of our gameday tactic.

Albrighton,has fed /assisted Vardy brilliantly a few times since our Promotion,but often seemed

more of coincidence of the Moment.

Not because of any failure of Albrighton,this season hes had to check his drive forward,after

getting Into a promising Position,then forced to layoff,breaking off the momentum and that

Moments  intiative gained.Only in his last couple of player games,has Nacho shown More

Interest in getting Ingo the box.

I also believe out of Frustration,some forget Albrighton good crosses,because the receivers,are

not finding the target,or wasting a layoff chance. The Team need to see,their positioning and

Movement,give not only Albrighton,but also Gray and Chilwell,more reason not to holdback

and check their runs.Of Late  and last season,we lost our flow,because that frontfoot pass,

was not there for them to make,or sometimes either Vardy,Slimani,Nacho,Oki took their space,

ball watching instead of running off, opening then another space,

we have stopped moving off the ball. England have had also that problem,and top Teams

of Manu and Chelsea,struggled in their games because their offball players have drifted or been

Stagnant or pedestrian ,in movement.

Thats why MC,Spurs and L'pool look descisive and Seen to play with purpose.

They are always looking to move and offer themselves.Even when Holding the ball,or not

in chance-creation areas.

Albrighton Vardy,maybe Silva need that movement,and area discipline from their teammates,

Maguires intent and purpose would also look more potent,when he drives forward with players

not just standing there,or run Into reach other...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

I think he's still a very valuable player for us and I hope we keep him around for a long time yet. I think he'll become our go to utility player in years to come our own James Milner if you like.

Thats how I can also see him.

On 26/03/2018 at 10:19, ZeGuy said:

He's neither a creative player nor a game changer though. He's more of a very good support player. You can't compare him to De Bruyne, MKhitaryan, Eriksen, Silva or Mahrez who pull the strings and lead the attack. His assists come from crosses only. No through ball for example and he rarely beats his man. He neither has their game vision, their ability on the ball, nor their passing range or variety. He also doesn't score much.

Albrighton's a monster when it comes to work rate and defensive committment. Totally devoted to the team, one of those players you're happy to have in your team. But a creative one he ain't.

He doesn't really need to beat his man tbf. It's not like Guppy ever needed to either. 

He's more than capable of getting a cross in without needing to. 

England don't really play with a target man either mind. 

Guest MattP

He's been terrific for us and I hope he stays here for the rest of career, very few players can offer you both an attacking option going forward and someone who does as much defensive work from an attacking position as he does. I do fear for him though now, it's hard enough to perform at this level consistently and it's going to be even harder if he is going to be shifted around the pitch into numerous different positions (sometimes in the same match).

Along with us deciding to clear off every target man we had you can't say we have made life easy for him, but he'll get on with it and keep giving his best whatever happens because that's what he does.

I always thought that it was ridiculous that he was never even considered for an England call-up, given his performances since he has been with us.

He may not be the most fashionable player, but he always gives 100% - you could maybe make the accusation that he has off days with regards to concentration and the quality of passes he makes etc but the fact that he has still managed as many assists as Sterling (many of them quality crosses) this season in a struggling side should at least give something Southgate to think about. But alas, I don't think he will ever be picked now!

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Albrighton and Vardy ,are simply the 2 players I enjoy watching the most,including Mahrez.

They are simply 2 honest English players.When I question players commitment and attitude

these 2 are never the ones in thought.

I echo this sentiment, though Riyad is pretty good to watch on his day too :cool:.

For sure though Albrighton and Vardy always put in a shift. That's why Albrighton will always be loved by the fans, because anyone that has seen him play knows he gives it his all. As someone said above, he is like our version of Milner or Phil Neville and I don't use that as an insult but as a compliment. Both those players were / are incredibly valuable for their respective teams. In fact it just adds weight to the "why hasn't he been picked for England" argument. I'm not saying he should be a starter or even in the tournament squad, but if you look back down the years at players who have been capped, he can consider himself to be incredibly unfortunate not to have got at least one call-up.

Despite this, I still stick to my statement about him not being quite as good as previous seasons.. He has had some great games, but I think he's had more average or even poor ones this season than last time round. Maybe the inconsistency is to be expected with Puel's change in style, though ironically when he, Mahrez and Gray were in the starting 11 for a few games, he was our most improved player.

On 26.3.2018 at 11:19, ZeGuy said:

Hes neither a game changer,nor creative.??  Thats all relative surely!!

Any player who assists,or scores regularly though not often with forethought and creates a moment,

that leads to success of chance conversion,is by Definition changing a game and beeing creative.

Whether he or any player is has good or better than,those mentioned depends exactly on

those unique moments when that quality is produced.

There as Been times,when I have Been More than happy,to have had Albrighton on the spot,

instead of any one of those you mentioned.Its exactly this question in the topic,that such thoughts

are confirmed.He might not be as good as players mentioned,in many Fans opinions,but he is damn

Surely...underrated. If you get a cross in ,or score,you have already beaten your man....or not!!

Our 1st CL scorer I believe...but thats just by n by.He more than any,has come up with the unexpected,

and as been involved in our best moments,even in the Bad games, since hes been at our Club.

I never understand the Posters who question him,but hey ho.

Emergency call-up for England, now with doubts over Oxlade-Chamberlain's condition?

You can't but like Marc Albrighton, always calm, never mucking about, always professional, keeps the head down, works hard, helps grinding out results whenever possible, does a great job with fantastic crosses up front and can also defend - well, against the less threatening sides, he does a very respectable job. A true teamplayer.

Underrated and overlooked.

But so important to our club. Hope he ends his career here. He's got to stay.

• Like 2