Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Portugal's radical drug policy is working...

Why hasn't the world copied it?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

Sorry, the article is far too long to paste it, but it's a fascinating read giving a fairly compelling argument, and I think it would be interesting to hear the views of the prohibitionists on here.

33 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

As I said in the What's Changed about Leicester thread, you can smell cannabis practically everywhere you go now so the enforcement of that is really working well

I often do maintenance work at halls of residence for universities across the country, we usually do the bedrooms in one hit over a week or two. Id wager near on 50% of the rooms stink of weed overall. If they don’t stink of weed they stink of something else.

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I often do maintenance work at halls of residence for universities across the country, we usually do the bedrooms in one hit over a week or two. Id wager near on 50% of the rooms stink of weed overall. If they don’t stink of weed they stink of something else.

The smell of muff.

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Well that's what I'd expect from those goddamn longhairs, but in the last few years I seem to be smelling it in increasingly random places, like in supermarket car parks and basically any outdoor event, anywhere

46 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

As I said in the What's Changed about Leicester thread, you can smell cannabis practically everywhere you go now so the enforcement of that is really working well

The whole idea of this war on drugs is ****ing daft. 

I watched one of those cop shows a few months back, they raided a house in a drug bust. Man and woman owned the house and lived there. Found a cannabis farm in the attic, couldn't charge them as they said they didn't know they had an attic lol

What's the point really. Just wasting money. Regulate drugs. Tax them. Use money for the problem druggies. Then you won't have kids dying from taking some bullshit and you won't be wasting police hours in futile drugs raids. 

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well that's what I'd expect from those goddamn longhairs, but in the last few years I seem to be smelling it in increasingly random places, like in supermarket car parks and basically any outdoor event, anywhere

Are you sure you haven’t just got some in your coat pocket?

Time to legalise imp, the taxes gathered would certainly help the economy. Gonna happen across more US states soon as they need the money 2. Canada's next though, we are way behind the times when it comes to weed.

9 hours ago, Buce said:

Why hasn't the world copied it?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/05/portugals-radical-drugs-policy-is-working-why-hasnt-the-world-copied-it

Sorry, the article is far too long to paste it, but it's a fascinating read giving a fairly compelling argument, and I think it would be interesting to hear the views of the prohibitionists on here.

Personally I'd take a tougher line than we currently do as I fundamentally disagree with the idea cannabis does no damage. Life sentence for supplying, minimum 5 years for dealing, significant money into enforcement.

I'd also completely ban tobacco.

Don't worry, I'll allow you alcohol though!

Just now, toddybad said:

Personally I'd take a tougher line than we currently do as I fundamentally disagree with the idea cannabis does no damage. Life sentence for supplying, minimum 5 years for dealing, significant money into enforcement.

:o

Toddy the Tory!

As a fundamental point of principle I agree with Toddy. I think the notion that drugs aren't harmful is bollocks. They are. Some of them might be less harmful of alcohol, which makes a mockery of the law, but they are still harmful and the people producing and supplying them are still *****. Even if cocaine was legal, the coca still has to come from somewhere pretty dodge.

That said, the evidence that legalisation reduces the societal and public health impact of drugs is really quite compelling.

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Bang on torybad.

18 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The hypocrisy of that is astounding.

I’m not convinced legalising drugs (heroin/crack etc) that are seriously addictive would be the right choice, not that having them illegal is working. I’m neither here nor their with cannabis or ecstasy, for most users it is quite harmless and it happens regardless. Legalise it and tax it, is probably an option we should be looking at now.

34 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It's ok to provide a substance responsible for thousands of deaths a year but cannabis with its death toll of nil deserves a life sentence?  You might want to reconsider your position pal.

The article had too many words and not enough pictures.

Either legalise all drugs, regulate it, tax it and sell it at Boots, OR go zero tolerance on all drugs.  Really tough sentences for simple possession, don't worry about having to prove the "supply" element. Do away with classifications, it's either a controlled substance or it isn't, none of this class A, B or C, this creates too much of a grey area.

15 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Either legalise all drugs, regulate it, tax it and sell it at Boots, OR go zero tolerance on all drugs.  Really tough sentences for simple possession, don't worry about having to prove the "supply" element. Do away with classifications, it's either a controlled substance or it isn't, none of this class A, B or C, this creates too much of a grey area.

This would have wider implications, drug control in that sense is actually probably more applicable to prescribers and dispensers of medication than drug abusers. Codeine for example is a controlled drug.

22 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's ok to provide a substance responsible for thousands of deaths a year but cannabis with its death toll of nil deserves a life sentence?  You might want to reconsider your position pal.

The position on alcohol is hypocritical. The idea cannabis is responsible for zero deaths is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The evidence for cannabis-related mortality is poor and conflicting. It's hubris to say there are 0 deaths related to cannabis.

59 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

:o

Toddy the Tory!

53 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Bang on torybad.

Surely any Tory worth their salt would want unregulated free market competition in the drugs industry?

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

The position on alcohol is hypocritical. The idea cannabis is responsible for zero deaths is ridiculous.

I'd be interested to hear in greater detail what you base your opinion on.  Your views seem to me to stand in opposition to the scientific consensus on the drug's harm.

1 minute ago, Bryn said:

The evidence for cannabis-related mortality is poor and conflicting. It's hubris to say there are 0 deaths related to cannabis.

It's not hubris to say there are 0 deaths directly linked to the consumption of cannabis.  If you want to look up research on indirect deaths and compare it with other drugs I won't stop you.

34 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Sell it at Boots. Bring it on. Presriptions counter or the leisure section? I'd love to see the look of shock on the faces of the orange ladies on the perfume stands as they discover their new found customers.

Archived