Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

2 hours ago, Raj said:

People moan about Slim non stop now and he's the No.1 target for the Boo Boys.

Yes he moans and waves his hands about...because he gets NO decent service.

He IS NOT going to run around like Vards. He scores if he gets decent service and as yet no manager has got a plan B if there's no Vardy.

He's been throwing his arms around since he came here. Service is a factor, but he doesn't create or offer much when he has the ball anyway. I don't understand what people see in him, especially considering the price tag. Ulloa has given us far more over the years compared to Slimani. It's time for him to move on too though.

• Like 1

Bless him, poor Slimani throwing his gangly hands all over the place when a League 1 defender called Pond back pockets him for 90 minutes. As said before, 1 good finish against Huddersfield changes nothing. Poor poor footballer. Put him in the dustbin along with Musa and King.

13 hours ago, Raj said:

People moan about Slim non stop now and he's the No.1 target for the Boo Boys.

Yes he moans and waves his hands about...because he gets NO decent service.

He IS NOT going to run around like Vards. He scores if he gets decent service and as yet no manager has got a plan B if there's no Vardy.

Its symptomatic of his attitude, he will close down the keeper and then throw his arms around when it gets passed around him - that happens when you play as a lone striker.

And this no service argument, Vardy regularly gets no service but will make something out of nothing by constantly making runs down channels and harrying defenders. Slimani does it once and gives up.

The negativity aimed at Slimani following yesterday's game is over the top.

My main concern is/was the inexistent service from midfield, be it Silva/King/James in the middle, or Barnes or Gray on the flanks.

I can't recall any decent ball into Slimani's feet - the only instance was a long ball provided by Okazaki, a substitute, somewhere around the 70th (?) minute.

Blame our crappy, underperforming midfield that put more effort in losing the ball or passing it backwards for most part.

Shameful.

Slimani is a good to very good player, but without any support from midfield, no link-up play, his talent is wasted.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Its symptomatic of his attitude, he will close down the keeper and then throw his arms around when it gets passed around him - that happens when you play as a lone striker.

And this no service argument, Vardy regularly gets no service but will make something out of nothing by constantly making runs down channels and harrying defenders. Slimani does it once and gives up.

Vardys game IS chasing and harrassing opponents. THATS his game. Yesterday Slim chased down the keeper BUT Not ONE player was assisting him.

I can see why he gets pi$$ed off. But as he's the new target of abuse nothing he does will stop people having a go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I disagree. He'd at least put their backline under pressure. They're not great on the ball and they'd have given more away. The thing that bothered me today was a lack of pressing, especially from the front. 

Disagree to a point because Vardy wouldn’t be able to play that way as just 1 upfront 

How about making something happen for yourself if the service isn't the best?

No one would be complaining if Slimani had run his arse off, put himself about but ultimately not scored. Or even if he'd had limited service and missed one or two from that service.

It's about attitude and desire with him. Okazaki is one of our most appreciated players for having looked limited but completely committed for three years now.

Is it too much to ask that a £29m player who's supposedly trying to force his way into the team give it 110% against opposition from the third tier of English football? Or does me wanting that mean I'm a 'boo boy' or just scapegoating?

• Thanks 1

Slimani almost scored in the first 3 minutes of the game. He likes to be in the box from what I saw and most of the time when he was running at defenders he was completely isolated and perhaps because of this he gave up a little.

I was frustrated with Slimani but I still saw some tremendous talent. He just struggles in the role of lone striker, he didn't really know what to do when holding the ball up.

However let's also remember his unbelievably good goal the match before against Huddlesfield.

Vardy was missed yesterday and he knew how to play against his former team mates and side. But then so was Mahrez. Everyone in the midfield looked nervous and the defence looked uncomfortable with the ball. Gray was the only one taking the ball and running with it. He even beat 2 or 3 players by himself to win a corner. He just needs to do it more often. He would also do well in a striker role. 

Just wondering if all the reports of Watford and Newcastle are true and whether he’s going through the motions rather than put the effort in at Fleetwood, as we’ve seen far better performances from Slimani where he’s been more aggressive forward  yesterday he hardly made an effort to jump for balls that usually he’d be ploughing through to head the ball  !?

Everyone was poor yesterday he had no service plus he didn’t looklike he could be arsed . I just wish he would stop constantly running in to players , I lose count of how many times a game he does it and how many free kicks he gives away . He even ran into one of there defenders yesterday and injured himself . 

47 minutes ago, Area88 said:

Slimani almost scored in the first 3 minutes of the game. He likes to be in the box from what I saw and most of the time when he was running at defenders he was completely isolated and perhaps because of this he gave up a little.

I was frustrated with Slimani but I still saw some tremendous talent. He just struggles in the role of lone striker, he didn't really know what to do when holding the ball up.

However let's also remember his unbelievably good goal the match before against Huddlesfield.

Vardy was missed yesterday and he knew how to play against his former team mates and side. But then so was Mahrez. Everyone in the midfield looked nervous and the defence looked uncomfortable with the ball. Gray was the only one taking the ball and running with it. He even beat 2 or 3 players by himself to win a corner. He just needs to do it more often. He would also do well in a striker role. 

I don’t get playing a lone striker against a mid table league one side, that have lost 3 on the bounce at home, if I’m honest.

If you do, you have to play attack minded centre mids to help the striker, not a mid that doesn’t pass forward, or more than about 10 feet, and another that is so immobile, and unfit from his latest injury, gray barely got involved, but a lot on here blame slim, who only service was aimless hoof balls, to no one, and dealing with 4 defenders, who had it easy with only him to deal with, and any support a long way away lol 

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

How about making something happen for yourself if the service isn't the best?

No one would be complaining if Slimani had run his arse off, put himself about but ultimately not scored. Or even if he'd had limited service and missed one or two from that service.

It's about attitude and desire with him. Okazaki is one of our most appreciated players for having looked limited but completely committed for three years now.

Is it too much to ask that a £29m player who's supposedly trying to force his way into the team give it 110% against opposition from the third tier of English football? Or does me wanting that mean I'm a 'boo boy' or just scapegoating?

100%. Service matters, but quality players are able to make things happen for themselves. If Slimani never gets the service he needs, what does that say about his positioning and suitability for our tactics?

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

His ability to pass I seriously lacking. That’s nothing to do with service. Overrated and doesn’t suit us at all. Sound familiar?

Who did that first time pass to Iheanacho on his first goal? Thought it was him... maybe you can enlighten me.

Edited by Eagle10

I don't think he was taken off because he didn't play well, but rather because Puel wanted to try Nacho as the main striker.

Slim is still lacking in some departments, but had a good performance overall. 

Still, as much as it pains me to say this, I think we would be better off playing Nacho as the alternative for Vardy.

It sucks that Slim came here, he could've have had such a better career in Sporting. But I guess not many could turn down such a large salary and more exposure

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think that's the last that we saw of Slim tonight, didn't look happy at all when he came of, threw his gloves on the floor.

Yes he was seriously cheesed off, maybe because it happened so early in the second - maybe after 65-70 minutes he would have accepted it.

Did a good pass for the first goal, but I have never seen a so called goal scorer with his back to goal so often. About the only time he got a sniff from Nacho's chip, he fluffed a routine shot and that maybe made up Puel's mind. It was a pathetic effort for a £25m striker.

• Like 2