Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

I thought I was watching a combination of Carl Cort and Mark De Vries in the first half. 

Besides a well taken goal in the second half, he offered very little once more. Had Mahrez not provided some magic and Huddersfield had not opened up, we would have been talking of the Slimani clown show again.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I thought I was watching a combination of Carl Cort and Mark De Vries in the first half. 

Besides a well taken goal in the second half, he offered very little once more. Had Mahrez not provided some magic and Huddersfield had not opened up, we would have been talking of the Slimani clown show again.

Gone Fishin’

Despite how he looks he’s not a traditional target man, lumping it up to him isn’t going to work. He’s played for years at Sporting who just don’t play that way. 

Looked much better in the second half. Cute finish for his goal. 

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

i'll get dogs abuse on here for saying this but I think we'd be a better side (in some games) with Slimani playing the main striker instead of Vardy.

with confidence and a run he'd be absolutely devastating. 

he's strong, can control the ball (despite what some will have you believe) has a very good ability to hold the ball up and an eye for a pass at the right time as well. 

add to that his heading capability so +1 for set pieces and he could play a much bigger and more important role for us than he'll ever be allowed (in my opinion).

a shame, because a confident Slimani with Mahrez and Albrighton feeding him (and being fed by him) and Okazaki creating space for him and he'd be superb.

we will absolutely 100% regret letting him go to another side who will build around him more than we have.

vardy is amazing (on his day), but he shouldn't be our only plan - because a lot of people have him sussed and we're predictable when we set up with him.

in the second half today Huddersfield didn't have a ****ing clue who to mark.

I'd actually say that if you watched a video of Slimani's efforts today versus Vardy in recent games, you'll find that Slimani worked harder and bought more of his teammates into play than Vardy has. 

ALSO - credit to Puel today because he used Slimani the right way, the proper way for that player to excel - instead of previous managers who've just tried to slip him into Vardy's role and then wonder why he doesn't play the same as Vardy. 

Well constructed post, excellent points.

Just to add ,Now as in the past , I always wanted to see Slim and Vardy, be teamed up on 4-5 game run.

When we have paired them, our midfield went missing, so has a front pair they haven't really been let loose.

A selection I would love to see over January games...

Vardy

Slim

Mahrez/Albrighton

Iborra/James

Silva

Ndidi

Chilwell

Maguire

Drago

Amartey

Schmeichel.

Sorry wanted to put up a good background formation...having sys-probs, and bloody slow.

The../ symbols I would have has 1st subs.

I would love to see a real 3 man midfield. 

Plus this does not mean Gray, or any others not mentioned, are non contenders or are  out of the Picture...

We still might see player movement, in both directions, but that 3 man midfield, will not get interrupted this season...

• Like 1

Scored a great goal, had a big part in creating the third, certainly put a shift in, not bad for a player thats probably quite rusty. Give him a run of games as a striker and then he can be judged, it's taken okazaki at least a season to come into form and he plays the same position

Changed from his hob nail boots in the first half into some proper footy boots in the second ...    hope he stays.

Loved his praying bit after the goal ...   mind you if he’d have stayed down a bit longer he may have been booked for time wasting ...   not sure anyone has been booked for over praying ?!?

• Haha 1

I'm not sure we're right for him.  He did well in the second half, but he needs service of a accurate kind, he doesn't have the control, first touch or elegance to position himself.

With a real clever midfielder, with play that is more.posession and poise he turn to be a good player.  Still not convinced he is a player for the top 6 or really trouble those teams.

19 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Just fcking lol. Which game did you ever watch?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Absolutely.

I've never seen a set of fans want a decent player to fail SO badly just so they can preach their 'I told you he was shit' rubbish.

Morons.

It wouldn’t be the first decent player the crowd have turned on. It’s been a while but off the top of my head, Mark Bright, Ashley Ward, Graham Fenton, Yann Kermagant, Harry Kane. 

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Absolutely.

I've never seen a set of fans want a decent player to fail SO badly just so they can preach their 'I told you he was shit' rubbish.

Morons.

On TV it seemed to me that he didn't go to the crowd after he scored. Is that right? 

Just now, Strokes said:

It wouldn’t be the first decent player the crowd have turned on. It’s been a while but off the top of my head, Mark Bright, Ashley Ward, Graham Fenton, Yann Kermagant, Harry Kane. 

People were ready to stick the boot into Slimani before he even kicked a ball - price tag, bla bla bla.

The problem is, these same people completely lack the ability to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong, so they'll keep finding little things to pull him up on even though other players get away with the same shit.

He could turn into ****ing Messi and there'd still be some old twat within ear shot losing his shit over a single mistake. Even during the latter parts of the second half some bellend behind me was still slagging him off for misplacing a pass even though he was an engine today and many of our attacks were starting with him holding up / laying off, etc.

Vardy has had a bum time of it recently - someone else deserves a run in my opinion. I love Vardy and I still think he's a vital part of this team but we need OPTIONS if we're going to become multi-dimensional and difficult to set up against.

We have played everything around Vardy for years now and teams know as soon as he's on the sheet what we're going to do.

I'd love to see Slimani get enough of a crack to show he's worthy of rotation into games that suit him and his abilities better than Vardy. 

It shouldn't be a case of 'oh well, Vardy is better than Slimani so he's not getting near the team when Vardy is back!' - that's shortsighted bullshit. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

On TV it seemed to me that he didn't go to the crowd after he scored. Is that right? 

he ran toward the crowd for a little bit and then celebrated with ALL of his team-mates who couldn't give him enough love and affection for his effort.

seems like they don't have a problem with him like many on here do. 

9 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Just fcking lol. Which game did you ever watch?

I'm sorry but he was lucky not to be dragged at half time. Touch of a donkey, out of position, won nothing in the air, constantly moaned at our own players after he plays a bad pass or loses the ball himself. Anyone who thinks he had an OK first half, never mind a good one is clueless. Some of our fans on here are making him out to be a world beater because he dinked the Huddersfield keeper when 1 on 1?!

• Haha 1

In some ways I thought he was better than Vardy. Vardy had a similar chance to Slimani's goal on Sunday and lost the ball. Slimani was equally as quick onto the ball and provided a classy chip over the keeper.

Somebody recently said Vardy was an impact player but I thought Slimani led the attack well today by bringing other players, including the midfield, into play. On that performance I wouldn't be too hasty in getting rid of him.

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

People were ready to stick the boot into Slimani before he even kicked a ball - price tag, bla bla bla.

The problem is, these same people completely lack the ability to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong, so they'll keep finding little things to pull him up on even though other players get away with the same shit.

He could turn into ****ing Messi and there'd still be some old twat within ear shot losing his shit over a single mistake. Even during the latter parts of the second half some bellend behind me was still slagging him off for misplacing a pass even though he was an engine today and many of our attacks were starting with him holding up / laying off, etc.

Vardy has had a bum time of it recently - someone else deserves a run in my opinion. I love Vardy and I still think he's a vital part of this team but we need OPTIONS if we're going to become multi-dimensional and difficult to set up against.

We have played everything around Vardy for years now and teams know as soon as he's on the sheet what we're going to do.

I'd love to see Slimani get enough of a crack to show he's worthy of rotation into games that suit him and his abilities better than Vardy. 

It shouldn't be a case of 'oh well, Vardy is better than Slimani so he's not getting near the team when Vardy is back!' - that's shortsighted bullshit. 

I wouldn’t be against rotating them and pitting them against each other for form. They don’t fit together in the same team that’s for sure, if Puel could solve that riddle I’d kiss his shiny ball bag.