Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

Just now, Strokes said:

I wouldn’t be against rotating them and pitting them against each other for form. They don’t fit together in the same team that’s for sure, if Puel could solve that riddle I’d kiss his shiny ball bag.

How do you know it's shiny?

2 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I'm sorry but he was lucky not to be dragged at half time. Touch of a donkey, out of position, won nothing in the air, constantly moaned at our own players after he plays a bad pass or loses the ball himself. Anyone who thinks he had an OK first half, never mind a good one is clueless. Some of our fans on here are making him out to be a world beater because he dinked the Huddersfield keeper when 1 on 1?!

the entire team was ****ing doggo in the first half. 

he moans at people because he expects better from those around him and if you'd take off your anti-Slimani specs for just a moment you'd notice than a lot of his 'misplaced passes' are actually lay-offs that those around him have failed to predict. 

if Slimani had a run in the side and the players around him knew to expect those kinds of balls he lays into space then they'd be aware of it, awake to it and they wouldn't go astray so often.

• Like 3

also - to put another 'Slimani bullshit myth' to bed - this whole 'yes he's got a good goal ratio for his minutes but it's all been against shit teams in the cup' - a goal is a goal I'm afraid and goals against shit teams in cups count just as much and they are by no means guaranteed.

absolutely sick of hearing that bullshit excuse. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I'm sorry but he was lucky not to be dragged at half time. Touch of a donkey, out of position, won nothing in the air, constantly moaned at our own players after he plays a bad pass or loses the ball himself. Anyone who thinks he had an OK first half, never mind a good one is clueless. Some of our fans on here are making him out to be a world beater because he dinked the Huddersfield keeper when 1 on 1?!

From what I read the whole team was shit in the first (didn't see it). Did it ever cross your mind that he didn't start a game since forever and always played patches of 15 minutes or so? Don't you know that a player, no matter how good he is, needs some time to "get in the game" after such a prolonged period of almost not playing? Do you even know what run of games means?

Anyone thinking he offered nothing other than "a goal" in the second half is clueless. Anyone thinking he's a donkey although he scored 10 6 and assisted 4 in 15 starts should stick to curling. 

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

the entire team was ****ing doggo in the first half. 

he moans at people because he expects better from those around him and if you'd take off your anti-Slimani specs for just a moment you'd notice than a lot of his 'misplaced passes' are actually lay-offs that those around him have failed to predict. 

if Slimani had a run in the side and the players around him knew to expect those kinds of balls he lays into space then they'd be aware of it, awake to it and they wouldn't go astray so often.

The crowd went mad at him when he played a ball to James at the end of the first half, he put it exactly where james pointed and then didn’t run. It was classic crowd stupidity.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

He's amazing, he's shiite, he's world class, he's not even championship standard, he's a clown, he should start every game.... 

Ffs the guy has one of the best goals per games ratio.... He didn't suit our previous (counter attacking) style of play that's all! Today showed that with a bit of confidence he's actually pretty good! He holds the ball well and is powerful. 

• Like 3

He was very poor in the first half. Didn't seem to have a first touch and nothing was really coming off for him. 

One decent header later and he couldn't do anything wrong! Every flick every touch and turn was perfection. If we play to slimanis strengths he will score goals. Only wish we would whip it onto his head more.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I really think that Slimani might be an option against poorer quality opposition. They often sit deep and set up purely to counter the impact of Vardy.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Vardy scores lots of goals against the better sides. They try to play with the ball and don’t set up to stop us playing and Vardy is able to exploit the space behind.

In short it’s more important to play on the counter against the big sides and more important to break down sides that park the bus with a plan B that might come with a striker who brings an aerial threat.

just a thought.

Its a lovely notion but hes going by all accounts, that display kept his price up so its a win win 

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

ALSO - credit to Puel today because he used Slimani the right way, the proper way for that player to excel - instead of previous managers who've just tried to slip him into Vardy's role and then wonder why he doesn't play the same as Vardy. 

This is absolutely key. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

This is absolutely key. 

Wasn't this correct only second half? I didn't see the game but from all the reports (and a couple of my mates WERE at the game), Slim didn't work in the first half. None of them did. It was pants?

What changed btw? Why so good second half?

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Wasn't this correct only second half? I didn't see the game but from all the reports (and a couple of my mates WERE at the game), Slim didn't work in the first half. None of them did. It was pants?

It really just seemed to me as if they turned up, like Puel had given them a kick, encouraged them to play confidently. Told them they could perform better and they went and did it.

It was one of those when the whole team just werent at it first half and went for it second half.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

yeah, like that's the easiest thing in the world!

and for the "won nothing in the air" or the "slimani can't dribble" brigade, here's something to look at

11.PNG.c07a906a58dc6f4719b164d0d327a435.PNG

5 aerial duels won and 4 take-ons completed!

no one is saying he is a world beater, but he deserves credit

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Your mates are correct. First half was bad, we couldn't string passes together, and Slim was chasing long aimless hoofs. Second half we took control of the game and overwhelmed them. Mahrez goal changed the game and momentum swung our way. Slim (and the team) were poor firzt half, but turned up second half and started passing and linking up play. 

Slim can't play like Vardy, he will not chase a hopeless ball down, but we used him correctly second half and it showed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Your mates are correct. First half was bad, we couldn't string passes together, and Slim was chasing long aimless hoofs. Second half we took control of the game and overwhelmed them. Mahrez goal changed the game and momentum swung our way. Slim (and the team) were poor firzt half, but turned up second half and started passing and linking up play. 

Slim can't play like Vardy, he will not chase a hopeless ball down, but we used him correctly second half and it showed.

We spent far too long playing at their boring tempo of slow it all down and do feck all with it. As soon as we play at a high tempo they couldn't live with us. The first goal did wonders for everyone, passes and flicks that missed the mark first half all found their target second half.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I spent 65 mins wondering how he's a professional footballer, and then he was awesome. He's the most baffling footballer I've ever seen.

That's incredibly harsh. We didn't even get forward first half and rarely one ever played to his strengths. Keep hoofing it every minute and you know what's going to happen, he's going to jump under the ball ans miss the flick on.

Second half he was fantastic, he link up play and understanding was exceptional I thought. With Silva knowing his game and Mahrez, it's an exciting trio to have on the pitch as they can get the best out of him.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

That's incredibly harsh. We didn't even get forward first half and rarely one ever played to his strengths. Keep hoofing it every minute and you know what's going to happen, he's going to jump under the ball ans miss the flick on.

Second half he was fantastic, he link up play and understanding was exceptional I thought. With Silva knowing his game and Mahrez, it's an exciting trio to have on the pitch as they can get the best out of him.

He spent most of the first half chasing his first touch 

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

I really think that Slimani might be an option against poorer quality opposition. They often sit deep and set up purely to counter the impact of Vardy.

I don’t think it’s coincidence that Vardy scores lots of goals against the better sides. They try to play with the ball and don’t set up to stop us playing and Vardy is able to exploit the space behind.

In short it’s more important to play on the counter against the big sides and more important to break down sides that park the bus with a plan B that might come with a striker who brings an aerial threat.

just a thought.

Never looked at it that way... Good post, although I am one of those where the die is cast and I can't see a way back for slim from what I've heard direct from players that's he's a bad apple, and from what I've seen in his 15-20 min cameo's. I just can't see him ever being g a regular for us, we need another option, just not him