Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

We need to talk about Wilfred Ndidi

Wolf has not gotten worse since last year, what has changed is the inclusion of Mendy next to him. We now win the ball a lot because these two work excellently together defensively. The problem is we are getting a lot of opportunities for quick transition and now a lot of the time Will is getting the chance to make that transition pass and this is where he is woeful. He just cannot weigh a pass or shot at all. If anything we should try playing Madison a little deeper so he can collect a short pass from Wilfred or Mendy as he has the ability to pick a pass. When you look at us defensively in games over the last eight games we are pretty good at dictating the play in I our half . It’s when we try to break forward when we shoot ourselves in the foot.  Spuds did a good job breaking ON US by waiting for our inevitable wayward pass in the middle of the park. Problem is if we move Madison a bit deeper we expose our lack of forward options. I don’t think Puel is stupid, we just have an unbalanced squad. The only weird thing is that with Evans Maguire and Wes and Soyunco we have the personnel to try 3 at the back and give ourselves more opportunities to get another player forward against weaker sides but Puel seems not willing to do this. I think we squandered a few points not doing this in our recent run of draws. All in all 9th is not bad in a transition year, it could be a lot worse.

• Thanks 2

Ndidi has not regressed as a passer.  He was never good.  He’s improving slowly.  What has changed, is fans’ patience running out, combined with our inability to create enough outside of cross-and-hope.

I’m OK with rotating him out against the likes of Burnley.  But would be more OK if we signed a more than just decent option (Iborra).

Against offensively proficient sides, it’s nuts to suggest removing Wilf’s speed and ball-willing ability.  He is a top, top tackler and interceptor at this level.  Guys who can do that and quickly pick out a pass are rare -- the reason the one we had is now making £290K/week at Stamford Bridge.  The same reason the Club remain patient trying to develop Wilf.

When he uncorks his long row Z shot each game, at least it’s a shot.  He should be told to aim straight at the keeper.  Some would spray into the top corners.

With Harry back in, we’ll have another option for playing the ball out -- and another reason to keep two proficient DMs in the formation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

His use of the ball is Championship level.

In regards to physicality, athleticism, defensive capabilities and effort level is everything you want. However there’s no point to all that if you can’t perform the main role of a midfielder in a modern day side, which is be composed on the ball and have a confident passing range. The difference between him and Kante is that when N’Golo wins the ball, he doesn’t give it straight back. 

He needs to be replaced for the foreseeable future by a more creative player so he can develop that side of his game, whilst being away from the spotlight and not getting slammed for piss poor football. 

• Like 1

The surprising form of Mendy has probably placed N'Didi in a less favourable light. N'Didi was fine as long as he was the one doing more of the defensive work but now of the 2 he is the one expected to get forward and make something happen. Similar to Sarri playing Kante in attack it's not his strength.

N'Didi is still valuable to us. As much as Vardy's loss hurts us if anything happened Wilf we would be in a lot of bother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fleckneymike said:

His passing accuracy in the three seasons he's been with us is 75%, 76% and 77%.

By comparison, that 77% this season is against Mendy 89%, Iborra 86% and Maddison 84%.

That's because when your duty is to win the ball back your're not always going to be in good position to make a perfect pass after recovering the ball. Maddison has to be one of the most overrated  midfielders ever. Where are the assists and  through balls ?He has too much of the ball for the paltry returns he has this yr. He should be making big plays, if he can't then put okazaki back and lets just sweat out every game and play long ball.

2 minutes ago, Usafox1 said:

That's because when your duty is to win the ball back your're not always going to be in good position to make a perfect pass after recovering the ball. Maddison has to be one of the most overrated  midfielders ever. Where are the assists and  through balls ?He has too much of the ball for the paltry returns he has this yr. He should be making big plays, if he can't then put okazaki back and lets just sweat out every game and play long ball.

Kinell.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Usafox1 said:

Oh my days. 

So close to being done with this site with statements like this lol

• Like 1

It's simple to me - he's a low-block, counter attacking type midfielder playing in a side that wants to dominate the ball. Therefore his gradual pass completion percentage going up isn't particularly valid - because it matters more now than it did when we first signed him (based on the style we're playing).

Have him anchoring the back four. Don't let him get forward.

No idea what's happened to his shooting. He scored a couple of brilliant goals for us early doors and had a couple of very near screamers too. This season and last he has one goal and it was a complete fluke.

Still think he's of use to us but his limitations are being badly exposed in this system and that's too often the case for us now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

Opinions and that but i think that is bullshit. I think Maddy has done remarkably well so far considering that lack of confidence/creativity in this side. Unless you'e expecting him to be like a certai lionel messi and rinse 4 players? He is one of the only outfield playsrs I have confidence in to make something happen when he's got the ball. I would worry abouy peoples movement around him as the problem. Hes a bloody good player. And in all honesty Ndidi picks the ball up in decent areas more often than not, hes just got poor vision and even worse shooting technique. 

Edited by bfox

18 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

Wolf has not gotten worse since last year, what has changed is the inclusion of Mendy next to him. We now win the ball a lot because these two work excellently together defensively. The problem is we are getting a lot of opportunities for quick transition and now a lot of the time Will is getting the chance to make that transition pass and this is where he is woeful. He just cannot weigh a pass or shot at all. If anything we should try playing Madison a little deeper so he can collect a short pass from Wilfred or Mendy as he has the ability to pick a pass. When you look at us defensively in games over the last eight games we are pretty good at dictating the play in I our half . It’s when we try to break forward when we shoot ourselves in the foot.  Spuds did a good job breaking ON US by waiting for our inevitable wayward pass in the middle of the park. Problem is if we move Madison a bit deeper we expose our lack of forward options. I don’t think Puel is stupid, we just have an unbalanced squad. The only weird thing is that with Evans Maguire and Wes and Soyunco we have the personnel to try 3 at the back and give ourselves more opportunities to get another player forward against weaker sides but Puel seems not willing to do this. I think we squandered a few points not doing this in our recent run of draws. All in all 9th is not bad in a transition year, it could be a lot worse.

Exactly. Other than a good backup for Vardy, I think this is our biggest problem.

We need a more creative CM to play next to one of Ndidi or Mendy. I really think that would make a massive difference.

8 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

Woah. Let's not get carried away.

21 hours ago, KingsX said:

Ndidi has not regressed as a passer.  He was never good.  He’s improving slowly.  What has changed, is fans’ patience running out, combined with our inability to create enough outside of cross-and-hope.

I’m OK with rotating him out against the likes of Burnley.  But would be more OK if we signed a more than just decent option (Iborra).

Against offensively proficient sides, it’s nuts to suggest removing Wilf’s speed and ball-willing ability.  He is a top, top tackler and interceptor at this level.  Guys who can do that and quickly pick out a pass are rare -- the reason the one we had is now making £290K/week at Stamford Bridge.  The same reason the Club remain patient trying to develop Wilf.

When he uncorks his long row Z shot each game, at least it’s a shot.  He should be told to aim straight at the keeper.  Some would spray into the top corners.

With Harry back in, we’ll have another option for playing the ball out -- and another reason to keep two proficient DMs in the formation.

Of all the comments in here this is closest to my thoughts on Wilf.  There were spells against Spurs where he was outstanding, closing down, getting a foot in and breaking up the opposition play and getting the ball to a blue shirt.  Every team needs a hod carrier to do the hard yards and behind Vardy and Kapser he'd be the next player on the team sheet for me.

Yes it's frustrating when he doesn't always find a blue shirt with a pass, especially the 10 yard ones but he has also moved the ball on nicely to start attacking plays.  He's not 22 until next week so from a maturity point of view still years to go, despite him playing a massive 65 premier league games already :ph34r:

Lets face it, if his passing were 10% more successful on a consistent basis then the big clubs, not just in England, would be knocking on our door with a very fat offer.  Let's enjoy and encourage him while we still have him.

6 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Nobody told me we were calling him Wolf!

Brilliant idea, hope it catches on.  Think of the chants!  We could have chants with howls in them

Good shout…. I approve of this comment 

There are never enough Wolfs about!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

His use of the ball is Championship level.

In regards to physicality, athleticism, defensive capabilities and effort level is everything you want. However there’s no point to all that if you can’t perform the main role of a midfielder in a modern day side, which is be composed on the ball and have a confident passing range. The difference between him and Kante is that when N’Golo wins the ball, he doesn’t give it straight back. 

He needs to be replaced for the foreseeable future by a more creative player so he can develop that side of his game, whilst being away from the spotlight and not getting slammed for piss poor football. 

Yeah, good luck with that. As if the type of player you have in mind grows up on trees.

15 hours ago, Usafox1 said:

Mate, Maddison has created 8 major chances in 15 games. Mahrez by comparison created an average of 13.25 big chances in 38 games over his full PL seasons with Leicester. Is it his fault that nobody is ever on the end of his crosses or the other forward players miss sitters?

Your statement there is genuinely baffling.

• Like 3