Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beliall

Black Mirror SEASON 4

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

There was some programme a few years ago which he was on. He's full of himself (pot calling kettle I realise). He goes out of his way to try to make clever stuff but actually ends up making pretty banal points and thinks he's far cleverer than he actually is. That programme just made me think he's a nob and it's not a view I've let go of. 

Bizarre, he's always seemed an alright guy to me.  An arrogantly outspoken, flippant and cynical one it's true but that's just his brand of comedy and what makes Newswipe so great.  As for thinking he's cleverer than he actually is... watch Black Mirror and it will change your mind about that.  To be frank I think you've made a rash judgement based on this vague program you once saw.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Bizarre, he's always seemed an alright guy to me.  An arrogantly outspoken, flippant and cynical one it's true but that's just his brand of comedy and what makes Newswipe so great.  As for thinking he's cleverer than he actually is... watch Black Mirror and it will change your mind about that.  To be frank I think you've made a rash judgement based on this vague program you once saw.

Perhaps.

But I'm not convinced his arrogance is well placed. He's like a thick Stewart Lee.

Just now, toddybad said:

Perhaps.

But I'm not convinced his arrogance is well placed. He's like a thick Stewart Lee.

You can't seriously think Charlie Brooker's a thick person... Regardless of how you view the way he presents himself, he's easily one of the most genuinely intelligent and insightful people in the current media world, I'd say Stuart Lee is a good comparison and the fact that you seem to like him makes it even harder to understand your problem with Brooker, you make it sound like he's Russel Brand or something.

• Like 2

Only seen the first episode of this season which I thought was a slight let down. It was a bit too similar in concept to the White Christmas and San Junipero episodes. The twist wasn't as galling as the one in Shut up and Dance. If I hadn't watched those episodes and watched this as a standalone, I probably would've loved it despite not being enamoured by the Star Trek spoof.

Started the second episode and already getting deja vus with Playtest and Men Against Fire but will reserve judgement until I've finished it.

Edited by shen

44 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Just watched Black Museum, what a bloody hour of telly that is

A fully fleshed out episode about the doctor would have been great. Probably my favourite episode of the season though, between that and the first episode 

On 02/01/2018 at 01:11, Kopfkino said:

Black museum was easily my favourite episode of this series. Loved all the references to other episodes in particular. Sad I know.

same. not sad!

Loved all the episodes but Black Museum was the best.

Thought Hang The DJ was alright as well. Happier episode compared to the rest!

agree with the comments re black museum, very good episode. i also really enjoyed metal man and hang the DJ.. the last three episodes easily better than the first 3, except episode one which i thought was a fantastic start

Hang the DJ and Black Museum my favourites of this season.

Cheap tearjerker moment at the end of Metalhead, which I found was a bit of a weird episode.

Crocodile was extremely dark and didn't feel it was very plausible.

Surprised at the lack of originality of this season, but still a good watch.

Black museum was class, would've been interesting if the Doctor had been explored more in it's own episode I think though.

Thought Metalhead was poor really, it didn't go anywhere.

Although I liked Crocodile, I realised after the concept was pretty similar to an older one centred around a couple where they could revisit their own memories.

Seemed a bit of a copy after that.

• Like 1

Due to the comments in this thread I started by watching ep4, Hang the DJ. I have to say I found it to be a sweet, love story with only a small techy twist, one of the least dark Black mirror episodes ever. Normally that would have made it disappointing but the acting of Amy I found extremely good along with Frank's humour so I wasn't disappointed to have watched the episode.

Next I watched Black Museum. This was much more black mirror like and the twist (s) at the end were what I've come to expect and hope for. It was a good episode.

Then I moved onto Callister. Having read the comments here I was expecting good things but I was sorely disappointed at 1h20m it was basically a film but it didn't even measure up to the B movies of the mid 20th century. the tech idea was good and believable but there was only the one small twist early on then a very poor storyline (one done many times in pulp SF of the 70's) I felt sure that there'd be a great twist at the end having survived 1h20m but no. Nothing. I felt I wasted 90 minutes of my life. Please tell me that I missed something that made it all wonderful for you lot.

If the other 3 are worse than that I'm not sure I can be bothered, certainly in no rush. 

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Im almost coming to the end of 'The Killing' and I need something new to watch. I've heard of this Black Mirror. Can anybody just give me an idea on what its about? Ultimately is it worth watching?

It's my favourite program of all time, a couple of average episodes but otherwise it's consistently brilliant. The episodes are all individual stories also so don't need to be watched in any order 

18 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Im almost coming to the end of 'The Killing' and I need something new to watch. I've heard of this Black Mirror. Can anybody just give me an idea on what its about? Ultimately is it worth watching?

It's an anthology series much like Inside No 9; every episode is a different story, different characters, different setting and different cast and crew. with no major connection to each other except for overall themes revolving around technology ("Black Mirror" refers to a blank screen - when you turn off your device it becomes a black mirror...) and the effect it has on our lives.

The beauty of Black Mirror is that each episode will appeal to different people for different reasons and that you aren't restricted to watching the show in any sort of order, particularly now it's on Netflix.

Those "themes" mentioned tend to be expressed in science fiction stories that range from subtle to hard sci-fi; the first episode National Anthem, for example (spoiler), explores themes of the effects of social media on public opinion, politics and news, after a princess is kidnapped and held to ransom on the demand that the Prime Minister ****s a pig on national television. The second episode, 15 Million Merits, is much harder sci-fi - "Bing" lives in a technology controlled society where the lower class have to cycle on dynamo bikes to generate electricity and earn "merits" for personal use - like playing video games, watching talent shows or even dispensing toothpaste. (My personal favourite episode)

Even if you're still not sure, just give National Anthem a go. Each episode can range from bleak to horrifying and hilarious is the space of a few seconds. It is, however, relentlessly brilliant. You're bound to find something that appeals to your senses!

• Like 2