Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SouthStandUpperTier

Did someone just try to scam their way into my house?

So earlier tonight, just after midnight as I'm about to retire to bed, there is this frenzied knocking on my door that lasts for a good 30 seconds or so. Then this woman with a northern accent starts shouting through my letterbox.

"Is there a _______ _______ in there, she's my daughter and she rang me to say she was at this address."

There was no way I was going to open the door to a stranger at that time of night so I replied, "There's no such person here, you must have the wrong address.".

She then says, "No, she definitely gave me this address. Her car is outside. She must be in there. I'm going to ring the police.".

I feared that this was a scam to get me to open my door and that she might not be alone, so there was still no way I was opening the door.

Eventually she disappeared. I still haven't heard from the police she said she was going to ring. And I couldn't see any cars in my street that I didn't recognise that might have belonged to her daughter.

So do you think it was a scam to get me to open my door and gain entry into my house? Or was it a genuinely distressed woman looking for her daughter who maybe had the wrong address? It's really shit me up. I'm now lying in bed with a golf club next to the bed just in case she/they return.

you did good, don't lose sleep over it. that my have looked like the start of an adult movie and would have ended just like one (the one where you end-up kissing the dirt to the end of time)

she lost all credibility by saying her daughter's car was outside. 
Thanks man. Needed some reassurance. Can't stop thinking it over.
  • Like 1

As mentioned ring the Police and report it, you may have done the right thing the next might not be so lucky. Quite an elaborate but easy to believe for some trick to gain access to a property. Scams are on the increase and you would not believe some of the cons people fall for

You did the right thing by not opening the front door. Did you look out the window whilst she was at the door to get a look at the woman? 
Unfortunately not. My front door doesn't have a spy hole (going to get one now, or maybe have a camera fitted). And the only other views to the front (out of the kitchen window and main bedroom window) you can't fully see the porch area.

Absolutely 100% did the right thing. You need to ring the police and let them know.

Her daughter's car is outside but she disappears after a minute? Seems farfetched, if she was in so much trouble (by the sounds of it) why leave after the initial panic?

Did the right thing, mate. 

To to reduce the likelihood of any future occurrences why not invest in a dummy cctv dome and stick it on the front of the house. 

Or even a real one! With ours you can log in with the phone/iPad and see who’s there. 

2 for £10 for the dummy ones might ease your concerns and deter any dodgy late night visitors. 

• Like 2

Easy to say but it’s a shame you didn’t call the police immediately and then use delay tactics till they arrived.  

Sounds like a text book scam, if you had opened the door you probably would have   been barged out of the way and robbed.

Where do you live?

South Lincolnshire. Deepings area. In hindsight I should have questioned her about her daughter's car (model, reg no.). 

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:
9 minutes ago, Strokes said:
Just let her daughter go you bastard.

Who do you think I am? Josef Fritzl?

lol

I’m just kidding mate, what area are you in? If you need CCTV feel free to pm me, I do It for a living.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

My mate had something similar where he lives on the saff...   people banging on doors late at night saying some old cobblers to get you to answer the door ...   when late one night it happened to him he opened the door ...    “oh hello grandad”  said his grandaughter ...   “ I wondered if i could stay here tonight?” ...  “And why have you got an axe in your hand ?” ...    :)

• Like 1

Just now, Countryfox said:

My mate had something similar where he lives on the saff...   people banging on doors late at night saying some old cobblers to get you to answer the door ...   when late one night it happened to him he opened the door ...    “oh hello grandad”  said his grandaughter ...   “ I wondered if i could stay here tonight?” ...  “And why have you got an axe in your hand ?” ...    :)

By axe, you don’t mean his chopper, do you?

• Haha 2