Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SouthStandUpperTier

Did someone just try to scam their way into my house?

Funnily enough I heard of a similar incident in Grantham last year but without the daughter story - strange woman knocking on doors at 11pm at night. It turned out to be a woman who lived nearby and had an alcohol problem. Nonetheless I'd still report it to the police just in case it's something else.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

There are some right cvnts about.

Surely I'm not the only one to sleep with a baseball bat next to the bed?

not to mention the battleaxe next to you in the bed.

12 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

So earlier tonight, just after midnight as I'm about to retire to bed, there is this frenzied knocking on my door that lasts for a good 30 seconds or so. Then this woman with a northern accent starts shouting through my letterbox.

"Is there a _______ _______ in there, she's my daughter and she rang me to say she was at this address."

There was no way I was going to open the door to a stranger at that time of night so I replied, "There's no such person here, you must have the wrong address.".

She then says, "No, she definitely gave me this address. Her car is outside. She must be in there. I'm going to ring the police.".

I feared that this was a scam to get me to open my door and that she might not be alone, so there was still no way I was opening the door.

Eventually she disappeared. I still haven't heard from the police she said she was going to ring. And I couldn't see any cars in my street that I didn't recognise that might have belonged to her daughter.

So do you think it was a scam to get me to open my door and gain entry into my house? Or was it a genuinely distressed woman looking for her daughter who maybe had the wrong address? It's really shit me up. I'm now lying in bed with a golf club next to the bed just in case she/they return.

If it was a scam you can rest assured they won't try it again at the same address so I wouldn't worry yourself anymore. 

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:
2 hours ago, Collymore said:
If it was a scam you can rest assured they won't try it again at the same address so I wouldn't worry yourself anymore. 

Well I've now reported the incident to Lincolnshire police. Thought it the right thing to do.

Lincolnshire police will do what all police forces do in situations like this.

Feck all.

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Funnily enough I heard of a similar incident in Grantham last year but without the daughter story - strange woman knocking on doors at 11pm at night. It turned out to be a woman who lived nearby and had an alcohol problem. Nonetheless I'd still report it to the police just in case it's something else.

Blimey, she did well to walk that far in that state.

Although it took a year, so maybe...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

Feck all.

Not necessarily true. We had one of those community support officers knock on the door to warn of "suspicious activity" in the area. Not much help I'll admit, but I did appreciate the warning. 

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Not necessarily true. We had one of those community support officers knock on the door to warn of "suspicious activity" in the area. Not much help I'll admit, but I did appreciate the warning. 

Have you thought that he could have been scamming you? Be careful.

6 hours ago, boots60 said:

Feck all.

Unless there's a speight of attempts with decent descriptions attached exactly what do you expect them to do? They'll gather up reports until they have information they can act upon.

You might have noticed that their resources are somewhat scarce these days.

Telling them was exactly the right thing to do. 

21 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

So earlier tonight, just after midnight as I'm about to retire to bed, there is this frenzied knocking on my door that lasts for a good 30 seconds or so. Then this woman with a northern accent starts shouting through my letterbox.

"Is there a _______ _______ in there, she's my daughter and she rang me to say she was at this address."

There was no way I was going to open the door to a stranger at that time of night so I replied, "There's no such person here, you must have the wrong address.".

She then says, "No, she definitely gave me this address. Her car is outside. She must be in there. I'm going to ring the police.".

I feared that this was a scam to get me to open my door and that she might not be alone, so there was still no way I was opening the door.

Eventually she disappeared. I still haven't heard from the police she said she was going to ring. And I couldn't see any cars in my street that I didn't recognise that might have belonged to her daughter.

So do you think it was a scam to get me to open my door and gain entry into my house? Or was it a genuinely distressed woman looking for her daughter who maybe had the wrong address? It's really shit me up. I'm now lying in bed with a golf club next to the bed just in case she/they return.

I would have looked through the window to see if there was others with her and then set up the house with traps home alone 2 style 

In All seriousness you did well just invest in a aluminium baseball bat

Edited by DatfoxesKid23
  • Like 1