Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

Ahhh, the Corona Man, Spangles, Pink Paraffin delivered to your door for that awful smelly paraffin heater in the kitchen/front room, the coal man missing the coal shed with half a bag of coal because mum couldn't afford to tip him at Christmas...and getting chased by "fatty Farmer" over City Farms before the Beaumont Leys Estate had ever been thought of.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I still remember half my childhood mate's home phone numbers even though I haven't rang those numbers for about 15 years.

Bet the younger generation can't do that, can you, eh? Don't know you're born.

I find it odd the things that we can and can't remember. For example, I can easily remember our home phone number from when I was a child and the registration number of my father's car from the same period, yet I have to really concentrate hard to remember my current mobile number or car registration.

Abbey Park Music Festival.

Basically a showcase for local bands (cornershop, crazyhead, prolapse, Mick Pini etc)  with a higher profile "headliner" Loop Guru, Mega City 4

Was great when it started, free entry, bring your own beer, all day Saturday, just one stage and a dance tent

Then the council tried to make it bigger, more stages, charging for entry and it was rubbish. Didn't last much longer after that.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Thanks.

What reminded of the place was quite a tragic story I saw in the Leicester Mercury recently.

Some poor kid fell over whilst playing in one the of the game zones and got flattered on by someone the twice the size of him.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 hours ago, Buce said:

I find it odd the things that we can and can't remember. For example, I can easily remember our home phone number from when I was a child and the registration number of my father's car from the same period, yet I have to really concentrate hard to remember my current mobile number or car registration.

This applies to almost everyone, I think. Early memories are somehow more deeply embedded in the brain. I'm sure a biologist could explain it.

I can recite the whole register for my secondary school class and can remember the birthdays of kids from primary school, yet I'd struggle to recite the LCFC team from 10 years ago or to remember the names of all my daughter's friends.

It seems to be commonplace in elderly dementia sufferers that they have vivid memories of childhood/youth, often imagining themselves back with their parents, yet completely lose more recent memories.

My Dad had mild dementia in his last 1-2 years. He'd ask me to remind him what my Mum's name had been and would regularly get confused, imagining that the flat he'd lived in for 2 years was a hotel room, not his home.

Yet, a few months before he died, an Irish cousin sent us a 1941 photo of Dad as a teenager in a Gaelic football team group, hoping that, as last man standing, he could name a few teammates. He named every single one.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

This bloke on TV, amazing what used to pass for entertainment in the 70s

Reminds me of this bloke, use to see him at Great Yarmouth, he was top of the bill and use to whistle most of his songs

When films just had one company listed as the production company like MGM, now there's a never ending list of them that seem to exist for just one film, then there's all the Executive and Asst Producers.

After looking at the above people on stage, does anyone old enough remember when Tommy Cooper tragically died on stage (when apparently the audience and television viewers at the time thought it was part of his show and was just 'acting' it..)?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

After looking at the above people on stage, does anyone old enough remember when Tommy Cooper tragically died on stage (when apparently the audience and television viewers at the time thought it was part of his show and was just 'acting' it..)?

Yes I watched it as it happened and didn't realised until after the show was over. I thought it was part of his act and thought "god he gets worse", I assumed it was a crap joke.

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Yes - I must’ve been about 13/14 ish. Was watching the show on tv and remember him collapsing and the curtain being pulled across. Laughter, then nervous laughter from the audience. 

I think the show carried on. Can’t have been much fun for the acts that followed. 

17 hours ago, davieG said:

When films just had one company listed as the production company like MGM, now there's a never ending list of them that seem to exist for just one film, then there's all the Executive and Asst Producers.

That is the new business model though? :blink:

On 17.2.2018 at 10:28, norwichfox said:

Ahhh, the Corona Man, Spangles, Pink Paraffin delivered to your door for that awful smelly paraffin heater in the kitchen/front room, the coal man missing the coal shed with half a bag of coal because mum couldn't afford to tip him at Christmas...and getting chased by "fatty Farmer" over City Farms before the Beaumont Leys Estate had ever been thought of.

And that bloody Bull in the field,while cutting across,to start the Walk to braggy...

10 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

And that bloody Bull in the field,while cutting across,to start the Walk to braggy...and the annual hunt for shed antlers, I only ever found 1

Can't remember bulls on way to Braggy, only deer,bracken.old John and the stream I recall drinking from because I was so thirsty. I was chased by a bullock when walking fishing with a mate near Foxton Locks.

The winters of 1963 and 1967, when there was REAL snowfall, not the dusting we have here at the moment that the media are getting all juiced up about.

Me and my mate dug an igloo type hole in a 8ft high snow drift out at Shearsby. I remember jumping feet first into drifts to see who could get the deepest.

Image result for winter of 1963 pictures

11 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

And that bloody Bull in the field,while cutting across,to start the Walk to braggy...

28 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

Can't remember bulls on way to Braggy, only deer,bracken.old John and the stream I recall drinking from because I was so thirsty. I was chased by a bullock when walking fishing with a mate near Foxton Locks.

My late father (who was even older than you ancient pair) lived in Newfoundpool when he was growing up in the twenties. At that time, New Parks hadn't even been built and it was fields all the way to Bradgate. Apparently, he and his friends would camp in the field behind Newtown Linford Church and the farmer provided them with eggs and fresh milk in return for a few chores. A different world then.

2 hours ago, Buce said:

My late father (who was even older than you ancient pair) lived in Newfoundpool when he was growing up in the twenties. At that time, New Parks hadn't even been built and it was fields all the way to Bradgate. Apparently, he and his friends would camp in the field behind Newtown Linford Church and the farmer provided them with eggs and fresh milk in return for a few chores. A different world then.

Was your dad, may he rest in piece, in the famous 5? Sure this used to happen in nearly every book.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Was your dad, may he rest in piece, in the famous 5? Sure this used to happen in nearly every book.

lol I've not read the books but it was a similar time period I think.

• 1 month later...