Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

Ahhh, the Corona Man, Spangles, Pink Paraffin delivered to your door for that awful smelly paraffin heater in the kitchen/front room, the coal man missing the coal shed with half a bag of coal because mum couldn't afford to tip him at Christmas...and getting chased by "fatty Farmer" over City Farms before the Beaumont Leys Estate had ever been thought of.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

I still remember half my childhood mate's home phone numbers even though I haven't rang those numbers for about 15 years.

Bet the younger generation can't do that, can you, eh? Don't know you're born.

I find it odd the things that we can and can't remember. For example, I can easily remember our home phone number from when I was a child and the registration number of my father's car from the same period, yet I have to really concentrate hard to remember my current mobile number or car registration.

Abbey Park Music Festival.

Basically a showcase for local bands (cornershop, crazyhead, prolapse, Mick Pini etc)  with a higher profile "headliner" Loop Guru, Mega City 4

Was great when it started, free entry, bring your own beer, all day Saturday, just one stage and a dance tent

Then the council tried to make it bigger, more stages, charging for entry and it was rubbish. Didn't last much longer after that.

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Thanks.

What reminded of the place was quite a tragic story I saw in the Leicester Mercury recently.

Some poor kid fell over whilst playing in one the of the game zones and got flattered on by someone the twice the size of him.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

3 hours ago, Buce said:

I find it odd the things that we can and can't remember. For example, I can easily remember our home phone number from when I was a child and the registration number of my father's car from the same period, yet I have to really concentrate hard to remember my current mobile number or car registration.

This applies to almost everyone, I think. Early memories are somehow more deeply embedded in the brain. I'm sure a biologist could explain it.

I can recite the whole register for my secondary school class and can remember the birthdays of kids from primary school, yet I'd struggle to recite the LCFC team from 10 years ago or to remember the names of all my daughter's friends.

It seems to be commonplace in elderly dementia sufferers that they have vivid memories of childhood/youth, often imagining themselves back with their parents, yet completely lose more recent memories.

My Dad had mild dementia in his last 1-2 years. He'd ask me to remind him what my Mum's name had been and would regularly get confused, imagining that the flat he'd lived in for 2 years was a hotel room, not his home.

Yet, a few months before he died, an Irish cousin sent us a 1941 photo of Dad as a teenager in a Gaelic football team group, hoping that, as last man standing, he could name a few teammates. He named every single one.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 4