Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

45 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The birth of the internet (That does not even make me THAT old ffs :mad: )

I remember buying my first PC from Dixons - I think it would have been around 1995. It cost about 4 million pounds and I got it mainlto to play Championship Manager on. It was only a few weeks later I discovered it had an inbuilt "modem". Armed with a free Compuserve intro disc I blundered into the World Wide Web, Compuserve chat and waiting 10 minutes for a webpage to load which would more than likely induce a siezure anyway.

WinWorld: CompuServe Information Manager 2.x (Win)

• Haha 2

On 30/12/2017 at 19:58, Parafox said:

When New Years Day wasn't a holiday. 

Buses having no doors and the driver was in a separate cab and there were notices banning spitting.

TV's had no remote, you had to get off yer arse and twiddle a tuning knob. And it was black and white in 625 lines.

Corona pop wagons.

Coal holes/bunkers in the back yard.

3 penny (thrupenny) deposit on bottles of pop to encourage you to take them back to the shop to be re-used.

Steel rubbish bins which bin men had to put on their backs and empty into trucks with sliding panels on the side

Image result for old fashioned british refuse bins

Image result for old british refuse trucks

When Selling of Fireworks were for Guy fawkes only,Not New Year..

Jusoda,Tizer,Dandelion n Burdock,Ice Cream sodawater-lemonade,Vimto,Ginger beer,soft shandy, all before Corona-soft Drink delivery Kicked off.

When kids ,could still go to the off-license,and pick up a filled up Bottle of beer for grandad or the Dad.( With a letter) People turned a blind-eye.

No kids in pubs,only if they had an outside Family/kids-room or area,or closed Wedding parties.Some,Not all Social-clubs Family-day Sundays-lunchtime only.!!

The Bell Hotel...The Real old traditional Leicester-market.Product from around the world,and fish & Meat market,in the only large covered market in Europe.

Pubs on every-corner. Fish n Chip Shop on every 2-3rd corner. 5-7 on every Then New Estate...

The Original Woolworths,BHS.

The old Filbert street.

My Grandma & relations,my Mothers & Fathers Original neighbourhood,Melton road area,und alleyways before the start of "India-Town"... No racist-intention just an observation.

Busses,with no doors.

all Train-stations in Leicester. Steam trains. Holiday trips,with train or bus,Some Mystery tours...

A well presented & quite Beautiful Abbey-park...

Bradgate- Park walks,that were still a Good "countryside" walks

Oh and those Dustbins and the dustbinmen.

Not forgetting,the baker ,Milkmen deliveries....

Majority of Family and relations,being at least in the same county..

Edited by fuchsntf

4 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Grease paper loo roll 

Without fail it would smudge the fudge

That stuff was pretty pointless. We had it in our outside toilets at my junior school. In winter the water in the toilets would freeze solid so they had to close the school cos they were the only toilets we had. Bizarrely though we did have an outside swimming pool, and that was always freezing even in the summer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That stuff was pretty pointless. We had it in our outside toilets at my junior school. In winter the water in the toilets would freeze solid so they had to close the school cos they were the only toilets we had. Bizarrely though we did have an outside swimming pool, and that was always freezing even in the summer. 

The pool was probably a better cleaning agent than the paper ! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stivo said:

school milk (removed by a very famous politician )

ugh School milk is the reason I still don’t drink it. I had a bottle from school that must have been left in the sun and mr Anderson made me drink it, I threw up 🤮. My missus goes mad when I throw good milk away because I can’t sniff it without wretching. So if I even slightly suspect it’s gone off, I bin it.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I remember buying my first PC from Dixons - I think it would have been around 1995. It cost about 4 million pounds and I got it mainlto to play Championship Manager on. It was only a few weeks later I discovered it had an inbuilt "modem". Armed with a free Compuserve intro disc I blundered into the World Wide Web, Compuserve chat and waiting 10 minutes for a webpage to load which would more than likely induce a siezure anyway.

There's every chance I sold it to you if it was the Leicester branch :D

31 minutes ago, Strokes said:

ugh School milk is the reason I still don’t drink it. I had a bottle from school that must have been left in the sun and mr Anderson made me drink it, I threw up 🤮. My missus goes mad when I throw good milk away because I can’t sniff it without wretching. So if I even slightly suspect it’s gone off, I bin it.

Sounds like my worst nightmare.It tasted rank at the best of times.Semi/fully skimmed milk has been one of the best ever inventions

42 minutes ago, Strokes said:

School milk was the worst. I've never really liked it but we were forced to drink it too. I still don't drink it to this day either. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There's every chance I sold it to you if it was the Leicester branch :D

I think I've only just finished paying it off!

I do remember the salesman cracking some rubbish jokes, so it is a possibility! Unfortunately it was the now sadly lost Melton Mowbray branch. I can still remember the monthly instalments were 48 x £56.00, a staggering £ 2680 for a Pentium P100 with 8GB of RAM!

Did you really work for Dixons?

• Like 1

When everything was cooked in lard & you never tipped the fat out of the frying pan when finished with it.  You just put the pan back in the cupboard on top of some old newspaper & it was good to go for at least 12 months.  

Bacon had rind and could crack teeth.

I don't think Thatcher would have stopped school milk if she had known she was doing us all a favour

Kids choking from the overpowering chlorine (and zero ventilation) at Oadby swimming baths. 

Fox cubs from Midland Red

50,000 at Stoughton airfield and packed surrounding country lanes to watch Leicester Air Show (the knock down annual highlight of my childhood)

July fortnight

Buses and cars on gallowtree gate, high street and humberstone gate

9 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think I've only just finished paying it off!

I do remember the salesman cracking some rubbish jokes, so it is a possibility! Unfortunately it was the now sadly lost Melton Mowbray branch. I can still remember the monthly instalments were 48 x £56.00, a staggering £ 2680 for a Pentium P100 with 8GB of RAM!

Did you really work for Dixons?

Yeah, I started off working for Dixons in '89 on a YTS - remember them? By '95 I was just going into management roles in stores but working in Leicester at that time.

I loved selling PC's in them days. Mainly Packard Bell with free 'Encarta' CD-Rom :D

It was all about selling the extended warranties then and with interest over 48 months we made a fortune and loads of commission - thanks :thumbup:

We soon replaced Compuserve internet with 'Freeserve' which a salesman at Dixons Northampton co-invented. Freeserve made Dixons millions and it was revolutionary at the time. In fact, @freeserve.co.uk e-mail addresses only stopped working last year!

Happy days...

34 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

School milk was the worst. I've never really liked it but we were forced to drink it too. I still don't drink it to this day either. 

This is disappointing to hear.

I was so proud, aged 5-6, to be appointed to the position of Milk Monitor with responsibility for going with another kid to fetch the crate of milk into infants' class.

Now I learn that I might have left other kids traumatised for life.... :S

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

This is disappointing to hear.

I was so proud, aged 5-6, to be appointed to the position of Milk Monitor with responsibility for going with another kid to fetch the crate of milk into infants' class.

Now I learn that I might have left other kids traumatised for life.... :S

Fear not, I have never held the milk monitor responsible for my life long milk trauma. The head mistress, yes. But definitely not the milk monitor. 

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I started off working for Dixons in '89 on a YTS - remember them? By '95 I was just going into management roles in stores but working in Leicester at that time.

I loved selling PC's in them days. Mainly Packard Bell with free 'Encarta' CD-Rom :D

It was all about selling the extended warranties then and with interest over 48 months we made a fortune and loads of commission - thanks :thumbup:

We soon replaced Compuserve internet with 'Freeserve' which a salesman at Dixons Northampton co-invented. Freeserve made Dixons millions and it was revolutionary at the time. In fact, @freeserve.co.uk e-mail addresses only stopped working last year!

Happy days...

My first PC was a Packard Bell bought from PC World (part of Dixons Group?). I remember getting the Encarta CD-Rom as part of the package but barely used that - but I did have a freeserve email address for years, pretty reliable.

I also took out the extended warranty - and would have been easy pickings for commission if you'd served me. I signed up straightaway knowing I was clueless about computers and used mine a lot for work, so didn't need any hard sell.

I bought mine in Cov, though, so presumably it wasn't you who got the commission.

That Packard Bell served me fine for years - and with heavy use. Then, when I eventually upgraded, I passed it on to my Mum as she'd decided to become a silver surfer....and she had it for several more years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

My first PC was a Packard Bell bought from PC World (part of Dixons Group?). I remember getting the Encarta CD-Rom as part of the package but barely used that - but I did have a freeserve email address for years, pretty reliable.

I also took out the extended warranty - and would have been easy pickings for commission if you'd served me. I signed up straightaway knowing I was clueless about computers and used mine a lot for work, so didn't need any hard sell.

I bought mine in Cov, though, so presumably it wasn't you who got the commission.

That Packard Bell served me fine for years - and with heavy use. Then, when I eventually upgraded, I passed it on to my Mum as she'd decided to become a silver surfer....and she had it for several more years.

Yeah, PCWorld/CurrysDixons all part of the same. I managed the Cov Currys next door to PCW back in the late 90's but never worked in PCWorld (I wasn't nerdy enough :D)

Packard Bell's were decent bits of kit back then. Not cheap but pretty reliable and good spec for the time. Glad you both got your moneys worth over many years! :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Midland Red mystery tours,

Pretending to be a lift operator in the Silver Arcade lift

Irish clothing store selling unusual clothing.

Bailey's nightclub having Saturday afternoon disco's for the under 18's

Wicksteed Park being my first "theme park", with it's water splash roller coaster. ( I can't think of a better name, though I'm sure it was called something else), dodgems, paddle boats on the lake and the train that took you on a ride round the perimeter of the park. I loved that as a ten year old.

Having to wind car windows up and down by hand.

Cars having quarterlights. (look it up).

Hand gestures out of the window when driving to indicate turning left or right.

St. Margaret's baths diving boards.

The concrete bus shelters at St. Margaret's bus station.

Holiday cases before the zip closure.

21 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, PCWorld/CurrysDixons all part of the same. I managed the Cov Currys next door to PCW back in the late 90's but never worked in PCWorld (I wasn't nerdy enough :D)

Packard Bell's were decent bits of kit back then. Not cheap but pretty reliable and good spec for the time. Glad you both got your moneys worth over many years! :thumbup:

I bought my first computer from PC world. It was the cheapest in the shop, the salesman tried to sell me a dearer one but when I said no I wanted that one, he just walked off. I was stood there 5 or 10 minutes wondering if he was coming back. In the end I had to get somebody else to serve me. I wasn't you was it? :D 

• Haha 1