Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

My earliest memory was the tv at my uncles house when watching the moon landings when I was 4, pretty sure it had a blue leather cabinet. I can remember walkers being 2.5p and jubilees at 5p. Also remember those mint chocolate things that were like glass fibre inside and my dad moaning about a gallon of petrol going up to 40p and saying people would stop driving cars. One thing I don’t remember though was fat kids, I’m pretty sure no one was fat in the 70’s

50 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

One thing I don’t remember though was fat kids, I’m pretty sure no one was fat in the 70’s

As a kid at school in the 70’s/early 80’s I recall that ‘fat kids’ were definitely the exception rather than the rule. Each class seemed to have one fat kid who was picked on - like Roland from Grange Hill.

I’m sure it’s linked to exercise. Back then we played football or cricket all day long until it got dark. God knows how many calories we burnt off but it was non stop football at every opportunity. Or wally, curby, British Bulldog, BMX or skateboarding.

I look at my son who’s 8 and he’s pretty average build but I’d say at least a third of his classmates are porky little fookers. But all they do is sit on their arse playing on gadgets and eating sweets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I delivered papers and occasionally removed page 3 from copies of the Sun :nono:

One year there was a centre spread of the best page 3 models of the year and I nicked it from the paper of an old chap I delivered to. 

He noticed straight away and stormed out of his house shouting at me as I sped away on my bike. Then he complained to the newsagent and I got a bollocking and had to go round and apologise.

Never been so humiliated in my life :ermm:

Did you go knob in hand to apologise?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

As a kid at school in the 70’s/early 80’s I recall that ‘fat kids’ were definitely the exception rather than the rule. Each class seemed to have one fat kid who was picked on - like Roland from Grange Hill.

I’m sure it’s linked to exercise. Back then we played football or cricket all day long until it got dark. God knows how many calories we burnt off but it was non stop football at every opportunity. Or wally, curby, British Bulldog, BMX or skateboarding.

I look at my son who’s 8 and he’s pretty average build but I’d say at least a third of his classmates are porky little fookers. But all they do is sit on their arse playing on gadgets and eating sweets.

I used to love British bulldog. British bulldog 1 2 3, and that chicken game with the knife, no way would that be allowed now days.

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I used to love British bulldog. British bulldog 1 2 3, and that chicken game with the knife, no way would that be allowed now days.

Where you threw a penknife into the ground and your opponent had to put his foot where the knife was stuck and vice-versa?

Then you had to split him by throwing the knife into the ground between his legs. The wider you made him spread, the closer his nuts got to the floor so there was a decent chance he might be castrated. Not easy to do with a penknife lol

• Haha 2

Just now, spacemunky said:

We had those here in Canada.

Shame that all those kinds of stores are now gone and there's only one option left: Wal-Mart.

Just out of interest, where abouts are you? I started school in Canada in the early 70s. I remember being overawed by a huge shopping mall and a massive hypermarket called the Dominion near our apartment. Nothing like that back in England. 

1 minute ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

.... and Chinese burns

.... and that towel flicking thing in the changing room , one kid was so good at it he used to draw blood

..... and that taking it in turn to slap each other hands as hard as you could

..... and spud guns ... bloody painful when hit 

Hands? We used  to do knuckles now that was painful.

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

Just out of interest, where abouts are you? I started school in Canada in the early 70s. I remember being overawed by a huge shopping mall and a massive hypermarket called the Dominion near our apartment. Nothing like that back in England. 

I'm about 40 minutes west of Toronto.

Dominion was more of a grocery store if I recall.

I'm about 40 minutes west of Toronto.

Dominion was more of a grocery store if I recall.

Then I'm sure you'd know Kitchener? 

I remember it selling a whole range of things and like I say, there was nothing like that in the UK at the time. Probably seemed much bigger than it was given that I was in First Grade. 

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Then I'm sure you'd know Kitchener? 

I remember it selling a whole range of things and like I say, there was nothing like that in the UK at the time. Probably seemed much bigger than it was given that I was in First Grade. 

Yeah I know Kitchener.

I think the Dominion here at one point was connected to a Kmart, so it was pretty massive.

It sucks here now with just Wal-Mart's in that sort of all purpose category.

We had Zellers, but Target bought them up and redid all the stores into Targets. Lasted maybe a year and they were gone.

Yeah I know Kitchener.

I think the Dominion here at one point was connected to a Kmart, so it was pretty massive.

It sucks here now with just Wal-Mart's in that sort of all purpose category.

We had Zellers, but Target bought them up and redid all the stores into Targets. Lasted maybe a year and they were gone.

Is the zoo still there? I recall back then as a small boy being fascinated by the Mennonites, all in black in their horse drawn buggies that seemed to own the town. 

7 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Is the zoo still there? I recall back then as a small boy being fascinated by the Mennonites, all in black in their horse drawn buggies that seemed to own the town. 

Ok, maybe I don't know Kitchener that well lol

I can only think of the African Lion Safari, but thats not in Kitchener.

TBH, it's been a long time since I've been there. I think it's mostly known for Germans and Octoberfest.

29 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

.... and Chinese burns

.... and that towel flicking thing in the changing room , one kid was so good at it he used to draw blood

..... and that taking it in turn to slap each other hands as hard as you could

..... and spud guns ... bloody painful when hit 

I remember seeing a lad take a particularly vicious towel flick to the todger in the school changing rooms once, probably still suffers ptsd to this day. Incidentally he was the 'one fat lad' in the year ?

52 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Where you threw a penknife into the ground and your opponent had to put his foot where the knife was stuck and vice-versa?

Then you had to split him by throwing the knife into the ground between his legs. The wider you made him spread, the closer his nuts got to the floor so there was a decent chance he might be castrated. Not easy to do with a penknife lol

'Split Kipper' we used to call it?

Savings Stamps.

People used to collect stamps for all kinds of stuff.

And put them in books. 

And redeem them for stuff.

It’s hard to explain to kids nowadays just how big savings stamps were.

WW1 veterans marching on Remembrance Day

WW2 veterans being the age I am now

Fruit chews going up from 8 for 1d to 4 for 1d

Stuff on sale at old prices: e.g. 19/11d, £1/10/-

Clyde Best being a novelty as a black footballer

People speculating seriously as to whether Hitler was alive and well in South America

Bottles of orange juice on the NHS

Daily spoonfuls of cod liver oil

6-packs of football cards with rigid pink bubble gum & fold-out mini-poster of Paul Madeley, Peter Bonetti or whoever

Getting Mumps, German Measles & Whooping Cough 

People debating Common Market v. Commonwealth with reference to NZ lamb

Threepenny bits, sixpences, half-crowns, old pennies & halfpennies, some with Victoria on (too young to remember farthings!)

Everyone (apart from Leeds fans) hating the all-powerful Leeds Utd FC

FA Cup Final biggest match of the season

No live football on TV

West Indies dominating world cricket

Most people believing homosexuality was disgusting, unnatural and should be illegal

My Dad making cross-Channel trips and bringing back exotic food like French cheese & yoghurts

Rural regional accents in Kent, not just Mockney, RP or Estuary English 

Irish cousins milking cows by hand

No McDonalds, only Wimpy Bars

My Grandpa's horse and cart

Ireland black and white with priests and nuns

Rod Stewart releasing good records

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

Getting paid in CASH.

I now have no idea actually how much I earn, it goes into the bank, the Mrs organises the bills get paid and I have enough in my wallet ( which rarely gets spent coz I pay with a card).

I also used to collect the weekly pay for a factory I worked at (about $12,000). No security, just drove to bank,handed bag with cash, drove back to work.

On 01/01/2018 at 11:31, sk3since03 said:

Woolworths in town 

Used to have to go meet my old man outside there every other sat, when he had access rights to see me. I guess it was better than meeting at the clock tower lol 

If the pick and mix wasn't the greatest thing about woolworths, then i don't know what was.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:41, Izzy Muzzett said:

I was a porky fooker when I was at school. I peaked at 16 stone aged 17, and I distinctly remember I was 10 stone aged 10 at one point. I now weigh just over 9/5 stone and am the right size with the build and frame I have

My problem was a mixture of my parents feeding me the same as they ate (inc portions), unregulated access to food in the house and just a lack of education on their part, really (not that I blame them, they didn't sneak into the garden with Penguin bars and throw the empty wrapper in the pond to hide the evidence :dry:, and my older sister was skinneh) I'd play football at school, break, after school, at home. Badminton on a Tuesday. Probably not as much exercise as older folk cause I had my Playstation and TV to enjoy. I was still probably the exception to the rule though, and that was in the late 90's/early 00's, though I rarely got poked fun at for my size at school.

I always assumed my parent's lack of knowledge/education on food & portions was generational, yet parents seem to have gotten worse as the years drag on...