Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

On 1/1/2018 at 11:43, yorkie1999 said:

One thing I don’t remember though was fat kids, I’m pretty sure no one was fat in the 70’s

I went to primary school in the 90's so not really too far back - out of 100 pupils, one was fat. The fat kid. Can't believe in 20-odd years it's near enough a 50/50 split between healthy kids and fat ones

On 01/01/2018 at 23:12, Tuna said:

Texas hardware stores. 

We went to a party( only a few years back)and this girl walked in who was much younger than us.She was a bit of a boastful sort and had a broken arm.

Someone asked her how did she break it.She replied” in Texas”

My mate said”what the diy shop”

most didn’t get it but we thought it was the best gag for a long time.

Kids doing the “Indian rope trick”

you might have called it something different,but in my case led to an unfortunate claim to fame.

The “Indian rope trick” was played by irresponsible youth trying to be funny but upsetting car drivers.Not got a clue why it was called that but anyway.

You and your mate stand opposite sides of the road and when a car approaches you lean back and pretend to pull a rope” tug of war” style.

The car driver brakes thinking you are pulling a rope ( nothing there)

Looking back we were total dicks.

word of warning ⚠️ in the 80s DO NOT do it to Geoff Capes like we did.He lived locally and of all the people to do it to.

Gave us a right lecture, I’m sure we were roaring.

please tell me that was a thing you did!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

Used to have to go meet my old man outside there every other sat, when he had access rights to see me. I guess it was better than meeting at the clock tower lol 

If the pick and mix wasn't the greatest thing about woolworths, then i don't know what was.

Oh yes i remember the pick and mix

All but a legend now sadly 

Thanx to the op for this thread brought back some great memories.

I remember having to polish the brass door knocker and letter slot on the front door and the exposed pipes in the kitchen and bathroom and the handles on the windows with Brasso. Putting a florin in the Tv box to keep it running another 2hrs and running round the neighbors for more when we ran out. Warming up on a cold morning by the big tube radio.

Picking the tar out of the concrete road seams and chewing it when we didn't have gum.  Freddie and the dreamers, the Dave Clark 5 and those Tetley Tea ads with the Chimpanzees moving piano's. Playing tag and hide and seek in the museum where daddy Lambert's chair was and getting thrown out, after going to the Sat matinee with friends.

Making rope swings with old bicycle tires and hooking them on the concrete lamp posts. Forming our own football league with kids from other neighborhoods. Making our own go-karts with pram wheels and whatever wood we could find. Playing conkers and marbles. Great stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

Finger of fudge 5p.

Only chocoate my nan would buy me after school. Tight wad.

On the other hand, a finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat. A finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat. 

It's full of Cadbury's goodness but very small and neat. A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat. You'd have to admit that, surely? :D

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

On the other hand, a finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat. A finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat. 

It's full of Cadbury's goodness but very small and neat. A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat. You'd have to admit that, surely? :D

You might want to be careful how you phrase that, what was ok in the 80s jimmy.....

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

If ever proof were needed of the power of advertising. :)

Bob-a-Job week. Cubs and scouts encouraged by scout leaders to knock on strangers doors and ask if there were any jobs they could do for them.

If you did a job, you got paid a "bob" (one shilling or 5p these days).

I weeded so many paths back then.

Playing footie in the street under streetlamps with a "goal" we'd painted on a factory wall.

Stick-on rear window heaters for your car.

Having a choice between coal or coke for your fire.

Going to Mablethorpe for the day on a train from Belgrave Road station with sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

• Like 1

Mario Kart (on Nintendo 64), used to be obsessed with it.

Lego Racers.

Kenan and Kel.

Amanda Bynes at her peak.

Paper fortune teller.

The Lighthouse Family.

Leicester Sound.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

You'd be amazed how many people think it's "full of Peppery goodness". Obviously I correct them.

Leicester being a decent night out....flaming colusses and palais then krystals and who can forget zanzi's

Standing on kop at filbert St. 

No globalisation and constant Liberal bullshit.

Long hot summers. 

Lack of mobile communication brought about a sense of community. 

21 hours ago, limeydale said:

My mom just said something that sparked another memory from yesteryear.

I remember when I was in Infant school I was unruly and got stood in the corner and made to wear a Red Dunce hat with the word DUNCE written on it.

So you're a Beano character?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

So you're a Beano character?

Haha, I quite forgot about Beano thanx for that. Is the Victory comics still going?

Just looked it up, it wasn't Victory it was Valiant.

Which goes to show not only am I old enough to remember, I'm also old enough to forget.

Edited by limeydale
Clarification