Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

Just now, Buce said:

That's it, or with a black Crombie coat in the winter.

Crombie with stitched in red hanky sticking out of the top pocket & Leicester City blazer badge below.

There's still footage of my young self haring on to the pitch in that coat after we beat Spurs in the cup 1974.

That's when the cup mattered.

• Like 1

Playing knackeroo in the playground.

Linking arms around your mates shoulders chanting " All join in if you want to play... (insert game you wanted to play)

until you had enough players!

And "kiss chase" with the girls.

Edited by one F in Fox

4 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

gambling in the playground for marbles. A small pot hole would be the target. The one who got his marble in the hole first would get to keep the other guys marble or steely 

Getting a steely was an absolute triumph. a bit like getting a KDR of 5.0 on COD.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

When this were all fields for as far as you can see.

That's always going to be a thing old guys say. But you're right. So much of the spaces I remember as countryside are now housing and commercial estates. Shame really, but that's progress. What else can they build houses on?

When you could stand along London Road near Viccy Park on a Sunday and you'd see a car go by every 5 to 10 minutes and they'd all be black.

Leicester Corporation buses for city only routes and Midland Red for County destinations 

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

When this were all fields for as far as you can see.

Diversion alert!

Living in Clarendon Park, it fascinates me to imagine what the place looked like c. 1880-1890 (which I'm not quite old enough to remember).

If you look at the dates on the houses, they're almost all from that era - quite literally thousands of houses built in one small area over the course of a decade or so (plus more finishing off Highfields and in Aylestone, Stoneygate etc.).

Before then, all fields for as far as you could see (apart from city centre & Vicky Park, which was then a racecourse, I believe). Can you imagine the level of activity and transformation?

I imagine it a bit like this (preferably with Claudia Cardinale included):

Sometimes I'm a little concerned that I'm living in a fantasy world....it isn't true, is it, Carl?

10 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Diversion alert!

Living in Clarendon Park, it fascinates me to imagine what the place looked like c. 1880-1890 (which I'm not quite old enough to remember).

If you look at the dates on the houses, they're almost all from that era - quite literally thousands of houses built in one small area over the course of a decade or so (plus more finishing off Highfields and in Aylestone, Stoneygate etc.).

Before then, all fields for as far as you could see (apart from city centre & Vicky Park, which was then a racecourse, I believe). Can you imagine the level of activity and transformation?

I imagine it a bit like this (preferably with Claudia Cardinale included):

Sometimes I'm a little concerned that I'm living in a fantasy world....it isn't true, is it, Carl?

Great film, and yes, Claudia Cardinale looks amazing in it.

I'm old enough to remember kids in primary school playing the circle game in the mid 90's - and the mid 90's is where it should have stayed. God knows why it's made a comeback recently, but you can't go on any social media without seeing it these days. It was funny when i was 7. Just pointless now.

For those of you who don't know what i'm talking about...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The Circle Game

4 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I'm old enough to remember kids in primary school playing the circle game in the mid 90's - and the mid 90's is where it should have stayed. God knows why it's made a comeback recently, but you can't go on any social media without seeing it these days. It was funny when i was 7. Just pointless now.

For those of you who don't know what i'm talking about...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The Circle Game

Ah yes, got to thank Malcolm in the Middle for that one.

On 10/01/2018 at 18:44, winteriscoming said:

The big breakfast on channel 4 with chris evans and gabby roslin. Although I preffered johny and denise. And obviously when kelly brook was on. 

She was useless, used to go boss eyed trying to read the autocue.

In fairness, a lot of viewers probably weren't looking at her eyes

When there was only one car owner in town and the roads were too rough for any cars to go over in any case.

When a neighbour rented out seats at 50 centavos a go to watch the nightly soap opera on his TV, as though it were a cinema.  Although it was not their house, some regular attendees would shout and complain if someone else sat in their chair or sofa spot!

Bank notes signed by Che Guevara

che+signed+currency.jpg

Edited by La-Sayona

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

when working people supported those going on strike, because they recognised that unless they were supported, we would all be worse off. I think that stopped around 1988 and now where are we?

I don’t know how it is down under, Oz, but a succession of changes in the law have severely curtailed the effectiveness of strike action in this country.