Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I don’t know how it is down under, Oz, but a succession of changes in the law have severely curtailed the effectiveness of strike action in this country. 

Pretty much the same.. but its more than the law. It is the working class believing they arent working class because theyve got two grands worth of blue chip stocks and then siding with "management" rather than supporting people around them.

We are reaching a time where there will never be enough jobs and we will have to provide a basic living wage just to ensure we can continue to consume.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Parafox said:

When road works used to have a night watchman who sat in a 3 sided tent thing with a coal brazier to keep him warm.

....and when filling a pot hole in didn't require the whole street to be shut down for a week (exaggerated to make a point)

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2018 at 05:17, ozleicester said:

when working people supported those going on strike, because they recognised that unless they were supported, we would all be worse off. I think that stopped around 1988 and now where are we?

The unions in the 70s had way too much power. They thought they could continue that in the 80s but Thatcher took them on and walloped them. Had the unions been reasonable, rather than militant, there could well have been a different story. The unions, for all the good they've done (especially pre-70s), can be too aggressive.

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The unions in the 70s had way too much power. They thought they could continue that in the 80s but Thatcher took them on and walloped them. Had the unions been reasonable, rather than militant, there could well have been a different story. The unions, for all the good they've done (especially pre-70s), can be too aggressive.

Better a militant, over aggressive over powerful union, than the world we live in today. Where people who work still cannot support their family, where people are forced onto zero hour contracts, where corporate profits go up by 20% while wages only rise by 2%. 

#eattherich

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Better a militant, over aggressive over powerful union, than the world we live in today. Where people who work still cannot support their family, where people are forced onto zero hour contracts, where corporate profits go up by 20% while wages only rise by 2%

Nope, not really. 

Zero hour contracts and large tax avoiding corporations are abhorrent. 

But as the title of the thread says, I’m old enough to remember 3 day weeks, bankrupt country, piles of stinking rubbish on the streets because the bin men were on strike, train stiles (oh, hang on...), etc. 

Not all all unions are bad, and rightly protect people at work. Not all companies are bad and abuse their employees. 

Powerful militant unions are bad, and greedy abusive companies are bad. 

Theres a whole happy, productive  workforce in between your two polar examples. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I'm old enough to remember the Abbey Park show. It was brilliant, as I recall.

And this...

Image result for abbey park show

I think the train rides still go on from Easter or at least certain weekends throughout the summer.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Nope, not really. 

Zero hour contracts and large tax avoiding corporations are abhorrent. 

But as the title of the thread says, I’m old enough to remember 3 day weeks, bankrupt country, piles of stinking rubbish on the streets because the bin men were on strike, train stiles (oh, hang on...), etc. 

Not all all unions are bad, and rightly protect people at work. Not all companies are bad and abuse their employees. 

Powerful militant unions are bad, and greedy abusive companies are bad. 

Theres a whole happy, productive  workforce in between your two polar examples. 

Id like to agree.... but that doesnt seem to be true.

It appears to be an either/or situation... and i prefer the unions have power rather than the super rich (current)

• Like 1

The Odeon cinema in the Market Place.

Bailey's cabaret club.

When you were taught hand signals in your driving lessons, having to manually wind the window down first.

Setting spark plug gaps and rotary arm contacts with a feeler gauge.

When petrol had a star rating. There's a garage in Rothley that still sells leaded 4 star.