Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Crazy Politically Correct happenings and issues thread

19 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Haha! It's very un-PC to mock the afflicted. But CF can given we suffer from the same condition!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm with ya on the mixed race mrs front mate. Both Jamaican too aren't they?

Fiery customers!

:o

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Fair play for writing what you believe mate, though you'll win few friends on here with a post like this, I suspect.

Victorian London contained many Asian immigrants and black freed slaves, so the issues Dickens was writing about would have affected all races, creeds and colours.

In terms of 'A Christmas Carol', the issue is, was Dickens writing about white characters? I'd assumed Scrooge to be white, Bob Cratchitt, Tiny Tim etc..

If so, then to make the play multi-racial in essence, is misleading. If you didn't know the story and thought that Scrooge had an Asian sister, when he didn't, the play would then not be real to the story. 

That's my take on it. If 'being PC' detracts from how something was written or meant to be perceived, it's 'being pc for pc's sake'. That's my opinion.

Your opinion is err well, y’know...

What you are actually saying is black children shouldn’t be eligible to audition for traditionally white roles as it might detract from the meaning or be misleading? 

Nothing wrong with sticking up for your friends Col but be careful where that leads you. Maybe think it through a tad further first - you’re better than this.

you shouldn't have a problem with the race of the actor as long as it does not affect the realism of a historical figure.

do people realise that calling people "racists" all the time isn't gonna help, neether is making fun of the OP. why not ask! why not try to talk about it and get to the root of the "issue".

i'm not a dr who fan but, why did they change the MC from a male to female? next it will be james bond! aren't males allowed to say that they find a problem with that without being called "sexist".

just look at what happened to lewis hamilton, people went for his neck when he posted a video of him saying to his nephew , and i'm paraphrasing here "why are you wearing a dress, boys shouldn't wear a dress", he even said it with joking tone.

let's cut the crap, people can do whatever they want with THEIR life (i couldn't care less) but it seems that it is a race for which side can be offended the fastest.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 2

I find this comparison bizarre, and it's not the first time I've heard it.

James Bond was a character in Ian Fleming's novels and explicitly written as an Oxford educated white British Secret Service agent. Christ, I remember there being mutterings over Daniel Craig being cast as the character because he was blonde rather than dark haired as per all of his predecessors. It's based on a series of novels and much of the characterisation that comes with James Bond would work only with actors who had very specific attributes. The idea of there ever being a 'Jane Bond' (that should be a clue, the fact an iconic character would have to be renamed) as per the 'slippery slope' logical fallacy is therefore absurd. Daniel Craig will be replaced by a man, and the most likely candidates according to the odds are Tom Hardy, Jack Huston and Aidan Turner. I'll grant that there may be a chance of 'colour blind casting' if they want to give something like Idris Elba a bash, but that wouldn't require a complete fundamental overhaul of the character and the series. Ultimately, James Bond will be always be played by a bloke because his characteristics would make it being played by a woman a bit of a stretch to say the least.

The Doctor as a character is entirely different. Firstly, we're not even talking about a human being. The Doctor is supposed to be over an alien who's a thousand years old, has a time machine that can travel anywhere in time and space, can completely change their personality and body if fatally injured and can destroy an army of psychopathic robots armed only with a laser pen that makes a buzzing noise. If you think the idea of that character being played by a woman is the most implausible idea about the show, you're probably missing the point. There's nothing about the character of The Doctor that would stop it being played by a woman. It's not as if he's like James Bond where he's as much about brawn as he is brains and he plays park the pole with a gaggle of supermodels every film.
Great post.

2 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Definitely! I hope they don't inherit my gut!!

I was actually going to write 'who ate all the coconuts' but feared somebody might take it the wrong way!

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Fair play for writing what you believe mate, though you'll win few friends on here with a post like this, I suspect.

Victorian London contained many Asian immigrants and black freed slaves, so the issues Dickens was writing about would have affected all races, creeds and colours.

In terms of 'A Christmas Carol', the issue is, was Dickens writing about white characters? I'd assumed Scrooge to be white, Bob Cratchitt, Tiny Tim etc..

If so, then to make the play multi-racial in essence, is misleading. If you didn't know the story and thought that Scrooge had an Asian sister, when he didn't, the play would then not be real to the story. 

That's my take on it. If 'being PC' detracts from how something was written or meant to be perceived, it's 'being pc for pc's sake'. That's my opinion.

Wait. So you're saying the Victorian London was home to all races, creeds etc but because you ASSUME Dickens only wrote white characters then it must be that way for all time?

Just now, Merging Cultures said:

More like who drank all the rum and red stripe, and ate all jerk pork, festival and rice and peas.

Back at the gym next week!!

Sounds like the life that mate

2 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Happy NYE everybody!!

Greetings from the Caribbean and my mixed race family!!

Soooo PC!!! cdf7182c20a0121ef417a873bc65a5f2.jpg

What a lovely pic porky! ...    not hard to guess what you’ve been doing over Christmas ...   no pies left I should imagine (always wondered who ate them all) ..   :)

Anyway ...    you have a great time and in a week I’ll be over there with you.   Happy New Year to you too mate ..   I’m off out in a bit for the last piss up of the year ...   (must admit ..   I have put a few pounds on too) ...   :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Happy NYE everybody!!

Greetings from the Caribbean and my mixed race family!!

Soooo PC!!! cdf7182c20a0121ef417a873bc65a5f2.jpg

That's a lovely pic. You all look so happy. Beautiful kids (I'm NOT Jimmy Saville).

All the best and a Happy New Year to you all.

• Like 1

That's a lovely pic. You all look so happy. Beautiful kids (I'm NOT Jimmy Saville).

All the best and a Happy New Year to you all.

Thanks! We are celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary. Time disappears!

Anyone thinking about getting married, I can highly recommend it. It's had work for sure, especially if you marry an Island girl.

Happy New Year to you too!

You know me too well Bucey ! ...     consider it done ! ...    and Happy New year to you too !! 

What a lovely pic porky! ...    not hard to guess what you’ve been doing over Christmas ...   no pies left I should imagine (always wondered who ate them all) ..   [emoji4]

Anyway ...    you have a great time and in a week I’ll be over there with you.   Happy New Year to you too mate ..   I’m off out in a bit for the last piss up of the year ...   (must admit ..   I have put a few pounds on too) ...   [emoji106]
How rude!

Right that's the last time I'm posting on here (this year)!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, the fox said:

I'm not a dr who fan but, why did they change the MC from a male to female? next it will be james bond! aren't males allowed to say that they find a problem with that without being called "sexist".

Yeah, I mean the character in the past has gone from grouchy northerner, to a young scot, to baby faced lad with foppish hair, to old angry Scotsman in the space of 12 years, but the idea of them going to woman is obviously insane... The entire point of the character is that they can replace the actor with anyone when whoevers playing it gets bored.