Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mendi

Robert Huth

If we got another centre half in - whether it be in the next few weeks or in the summer - then Huth, naturally, should be moved on. I think Morgan might actually be older but he has that bit of pace Huth lacks. 

Huth is a cult hero but football is all about progression and if we continue to evolve as we do under Puel then we'll need a centre half with the ability to play football anyway (and Dragovic didn't look out of place on Saturday).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

If we got another centre half in - whether it be in the next few weeks or in the summer - then Huth, naturally, should be moved on. I think Morgan might actually be older but he has that bit of pace Huth lacks. 

Huth is a cult hero but football is all about progression and if we continue to evolve as we do under Puel then we'll need a centre half with the ability to play football anyway (and Dragovic didn't look out of place on Saturday).

Maguire + another new CB next season with Wes and Huth as subs would be perfectly fine I think. If one of the young lads if capable of stepping up now and again.

3 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Would rather stick with draga and give him a chance.

Huth is going to have to be brought in slowly, because of lack of match fitness and serious injury 

I may be completely wrong on this but my take on his injury was not that it was especially serious, but more that after the operation complications set ie infection? Will have lost a lot of fitness but has been training a little while now.

When fit I saw him as our best centre half. He gave Morgan confidence when he came and is imo the better of the two. He's a stopper. Problems arouse when he was required to do things he couldn't when trying to compensate for a weak midfield. Hopefully we have that covered a bit more now. His steadfastness would provide good cover for Maguires forays forward and the latter would learn some invaluable defensive lessons from him just as Morgan did. The very best of luck on his comeback.

• Like 3

It's a shame he's missed so much of the season, I'm sure he'll have a role to play between now and the end of the season. He's a good organizer and an excellent defender and worth keeping on even if only for backup next season.

3 hours ago, shen said:

True, but he's not displacing Morgan, who generally has been solid and Maguire who is arguably our key man defensively. Dragovic, while we haven't seen much of him, has already displayed that he's comfortable with the ball at his feet which will suit us more than hoofs over the line.

I think we would conceded less from set pieces........ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shen said:

Huth is probably our worst defender on the ball, which will not suit this new style. Morgan, despite looking odd doing so, is quite OK with the ball at his feet so I don't see Huth displacing anyone in the current backline.

It's all very well being good on the ball but we are diabolical at defending set pieces without Big Bobby

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think we would conceded less from set pieces........ 

Possibly. The odd thing is, we might well have scored less from set pieces too had Maguire not been playing.

There's also the factor of the stricter enforcement of body checking, jersey pulling and holding in the penalty areas this season, which we know Huth loves a little bit.

3 hours ago, shen said:

True, but he's not displacing Morgan, who generally has been solid and Maguire who is arguably our key man defensively. Dragovic, while we haven't seen much of him, has already displayed that he's comfortable with the ball at his feet which will suit us more than hoofs over the line.

Sounds like Morgan will be out for some time. In the meantime I’d be happy with Huth (if fit) and Maguire with Dragovic as cover. Not sure we really need 2 ball playing CBs, 1 is probably sufficient with a proper old fashioned defender as well.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Sounds like Morgan will be out for some time. In the meantime I’d be happy with Huth (if fit) and Maguire with Dragovic as cover. Not sure we really need 2 ball playing CBs, 1 is probably sufficient with a proper old fashioned defender as well.

Would never hurt to have more ball players. I can't say I've seen enough of Dragovic to say how competent he is in the 'old fashioned defending' department, but he's not stood out like a sore thumb in central defense so far.

1 hour ago, M0901 said:

I swear there was an instant last season where he grappled someone to the floor, kicked them, and didn't get booked ?

It's like watching a scene out of Tekken, sometimes...

4 hours ago, shen said:

Possibly. The odd thing is, we might well have scored less from set pieces too had Maguire not been playing.

There's also the factor of the stricter enforcement of body checking, jersey pulling and holding in the penalty areas this season, which we know Huth loves a little bit.

I would have Huth and Maguire, Harry has to be first choice as he is the future! Just think Huth is a better defender than Morgan.

I’m really surprised people are so quick to write off Huth. I’ve no idea whether he can regain fitness, but at 33 he should be capable. It’s not like his game relies on pace.

He’s a limited player, but still our best defender. He’ll never be a ball playing CB like Maguire, but the latter could learn a bit about the art of defending from Huth just as Morgan did.

There have been several goals this season where Maguire has been beaten where Huth wouldn’t have been. Take the Huddersfield away goal for example. Huth would definitely have been stronger and held the forward off long enough for the cavalry to arrive, before committing a foul if he was beaten.

I’m not saying that he should replace Maguire - who is the future -, but he’d be useful to have around to help with his development.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

Let's be honest in purely defensive terms Huth is by far the best defender at the club. Not the best footballing defender but he's tough, uncomprimising and sometimes exactly what we have been missing.

Agree with this. 

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

I’m really surprised people are so quick to write off Huth. I’ve no idea whether he can regain fitness, but at 33 he should be capable. It’s not like his game relies on pace.

He’s a limited player, but still our best defender. He’ll never be a ball playing CB like Maguire, but the latter could learn a bit about the art of defending from Huth just as Morgan did.

There have been several goals this season where Maguire has been beaten where Huth wouldn’t have been. Take the Huddersfield away goal for example. Huth would definitely have been stronger and held the forward off long enough for the cavalry to arrive, before committing a foul if he was beaten.

I’m not saying that he should replace Maguire - who is the future -, but he’d be useful to have around to help with his development.

Don't want to write off Huth at all. But he's coming back from a serious injury, he's ageing and he was part of the team that severely declined under Ranieri where notably his weaknesses were exposed. 

I think it's reasonable to doubt whether he can play at the immense level he showed during his first 1,5 years.

More than happy to give him a chance to prove himself though!

Whatever happens with Huth..fond memories and will remain a legend in our colours.

Worthy of the badge...

If he does comeback , from his injury, and carries no baggage.....He definitley should be kept on.

Hes proven quality goods. At 33 ,2-3 seasons if Puel sees he is capable.He would know ,even if he became

back has one of top 3, he wont be expected to put in a 30+game season...

Dont underestimate neither Morgans  nor Huths future services. IN THESE 2 we have automatic proven  known cover.

Stones, Keane, Gomez and even Maguire, I am sure appreciate time-outs.

Just decent quality PL CBs are far from 10 a penny.

• Like 3