Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

The dieting thread

Apologies if already done, but I thought I’d start a thread related to getting slimmer (and fitter).

What is your favourite method to lose weight? What recipes do you follow? How much weight do you want to lose?

I’m a couple of stone overweight at the moment, linked to my diet but also due to medication I’m taking. I’ve started slimming world again today as it worked brilliantly for me before.

Does anyone want to share some ideas and stories?

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Get Swimming Col. If ever I get too fat *like right now* then swimming takes it off me dead quick if I knock bread and beer on the head for a few weeks.

Cheers chap. Bread is a killer for me too.

I was thinking about starting swimming again.

:thumbup:

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Move around on the Bergman a bit - use your upper body and shift your weight and counter steer to help get your knee down.

You should certainly ride it to the weight watchers group though Col.

You’ll be the coolest fat bastard in the group and people will want you despite your body being so abhorent on the eye.

Good luck shedding it buddy.

SL

lollol

I’ve about pissed misen with that post!

Its a serious thread though mate! Please see it as such...

• Haha 1

Get some kind of fitness tracker like a fitbit, and at the start, track what you eat. Worked for me, and I lost 4.5 stone last year. 

I put a few pounds on over christmas, but I know that'll be gone in a week or two. Fad diets are just that, fads. Change what you eat as a life change, (even if it means going veggie like Buce suggests) and treat yourself every now and then, and you'll see much better long term results.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I just know I'm gonna get shit for this, but go vegetarian with an exercise regime.

Guaranteed success.

Or he could try parking up and fingering a girl on a bench which should get his heart rate up ?

(Let’s face it the ride there won’t get anybody’s pulse racing)

Suzuki-Burgman-200-Scene.jpg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Or he could try parking up and fingering a girl on a bench which should get his heart rate up ?

(Let’s face it the ride there won’t get anybody’s pulse racing)

Suzuki-Burgman-200-Scene.jpg

Ffs!

lol

its a serious fookin thread!

lol

(And that is NOT the 650!)

Edited by Col city fan
  • Haha 1

I've deciced to give slimming world a go as the misses is doing it. Its pretty good it just means you have to be very organised and make you have everything you need to cook with.

I have 18 months till i get married and would like to lose a couple of stone (6ft2 & 19st currently)

Also downloaded a couch to 10k off Bupas website so going to give that a whirl to as its only been about 3 years since i ran my last half marathon.

Also if you havent watched it all ready get Tom Kerridge's program off the iplayer. Its really good quite informative and some good recipes on there.

• Like 1

As Facecloth suggests, I've found the best results come from wholesale lifestyle changes. Around five years ago I adopted a 3-5 day a week gym routine (usually cardio-based classes... You look like a tit, but get great fitness results), along with being more mindful about what I eat, and how much. 

It's really that simple. I lost 2 stone and have kept it off ever since. (I'm 6ft 4in and weigh 13 stone). With fad diets you might lose some weight, but will almost certainly put it all back on again once your normal habits resume. 

I usually stick to a 5-2 regime consisting of the following:

- Portion control and healthy eating (low carbs), cooked from scratch Mon-Fri.

- Regular high-intensity cardio, 30-45 mins a day, 3-5 days Mon-Fri.

- Eat and drink what the f**k I like at the weekend, whilst sitting on my arse.

Edited by RoboFox

Been using intermittent fasting for about 6 months or so now with some good results. Basically only eating between 13:00 for lunch and about 20:45 when I finish my evening meal. Theory is that 12 hours after you stopped eating your body will turn to burning fat to keep you going. Don't like eating much in the morning so skipping breakfast isn't an issue, and quite quickly after I started I found myself not really feeling hungry even into the late morning. 

I've always been a skinny guy but this combined with my exercise regime has reduced my body fat quite a noticeable amount and helped bring out the lean muscle gained from my gym work. 

As you said Slimming World Col, although I wouldn't say I was over weight

They were excellent for my missus and daughter......... In fact my daughter out did us all.

Plus I've installed an activity app on my mobile just to keep a check and target my self with xxxx steps daily

As I'm a Veggie who's not keen on fruit it's challenge. Weaknesses Beer, Beer and more Beer  :whistle:

Best of luck Buddy

• Like 1

Atkins/Keto for me.

Basically no carbs .. so bread, pasta, potatoes are all a big no. However as its a low carb high fat diet it has plenty of plus's, including some of my fave meals.

Egg, Bacon Mushroom and tomatoe.

Steak veg and peppercorn sauce.

CHEESE 

Its more of a way of life really now and less of a diet, but it was weird when i started it. Replacing low fat marg with butter, ,low fat mayo for full fat - all seemed wrong but i did lose alot of weight on it. Was able to stick to the low carb way of eating after aswell, although i wasnt as strict and just maintained my current weight.

However back on it strictly again after spending 8 days in Croatia, & living off Pizza, Pasta and drinking way to much of everything (especially beer)

Good look eveyone with your diets - inwards and downwards.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Atkins/Keto for me.

Basically no carbs .. so bread, pasta, potatoes are all a big no. However as its a low carb high fat diet it has plenty of plus's, including some of my fave meals.

Egg, Bacon Mushroom and tomatoe.

Steak veg and peppercorn sauce.

CHEESE 

Its more of a way of life really now and less of a diet, but it was weird when i started it. Replacing low fat marg with butter, ,low fat mayo for full fat - all seemed wrong but i did lose alot of weight on it. Was able to stick to the low carb way of eating after aswell, although i wasnt as strict and just maintained my current weight.

However back on it strictly again after spending 8 days in Croatia, & living off Pizza, Pasta and drinking way to much of everything (especially beer)

Good look eveyone with your diets - inwards and downwards.

Cheers for that. I've done Atkins before and coupled it with lots of cardio exercise. I literally lost a stone in 2 weeks! Probably is, how do you maintain it? It can't be good eating fat all the time surely?

• Like 1

Been trying the Joe Wicks fat loss plan with the missus. I quite like it so far, it's not about calorie counting, nor obsessing over weight, but a lifestyle change. To be honest he is pretty annoying in a Jamie Oliver kinda way, but he does talk sense (except when he calls broccoli midget trees).

The basic premise is a  high intensity workout 5 days out of 7, on those days you have one high carb meal and 2 low carb meals, 2 rest days where you have  3 low carb meals. All meals are high in protein and most of them have tasted good. Nothing is banned except processed foods, but the emphasis really is on cooking from scratch with healthy fresh ingredients. So curries, stews, burgers, bacon, cheese, sausages etc all included in his recipes. The other thing is the portion sizes are massive (we've cut them back, because it is just too much). You don't go hungry but you do eat a lot good food and do intense exercise.

The main difference I've found is that we have made time to plan our weekly meals, buy in the fresh ingredients and cook from home more, having the food in and the meal plan on the fridge means there is no, "I can't be arsed tonight, let's just have a pizza" or heat up some processed crap and veg on the sofa. That goes alongside basic principles that you know but probably ignore, keep hydrated, get a good nights sleep and don't eat shit.

It's not a fad diet it is lifestyle change, and once we have reached our target weight we may not keep up the exercise 5 times a week, but we'll definitely keep up the meal planning and cooking.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

I find it bemusing that people feel the need to follow all these complicated diets - most of it is just pseudo science.

Losing weight is just primary school arithmetic - burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. Simple.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Cheers for that. I've done Atkins before and coupled it with lots of cardio exercise. I literally lost a stone in 2 weeks! Probably is, how do you maintain it? It can't be good eating fat all the time surely?

Funnily enough i asked the same question when i started. But was told that not all fats are bad for you. Natural fats are now know to reduce bad colestrial and have no detrimental effect on your health. Its the hydrogenated fat/Trans fat thats the you need to avoid (un-natural and bad for your health.) 

On Atkins/keto diets you only eat the natural fats (butter, bacon fat - basically anything natural not man made.) 

I found this website https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/  when i started, easy to read and super useful. What you can and cannot eat .. how it all works & what other benefits you can get from it other than losing weight etc. 

Hope it helps.

• Like 2