Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Col city fan

The dieting thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Starting to plateau out now, fluctuating between 12 stone 2 and 12 stone 5. My target weight was 12 stone.

 

I'm not too upset because I feel a lot better than I always did and I've definitely lost some size. I've definitely lost some muscle too, but there we are.

 

Not quite sure what do now. I'd like to lose a bit more of the belly weight, but have realised since I've been working so hard on my new company and also not really drinking, the combination is I just haven't seen my friends. I know its awful, but its the only time I see them! Since I also now work from home, I've become a bit of a hermit. 

 

Have decided to open a bottle of champagne  cava when we write our first risk over £10,000, so that's something to look forward to I guess. Not sure on the friend's front though - going down the club and having a tonic water isn't really my style, but perhaps it needs to be.

The last few pounds are the hardest in the world to lose and can take months of weight going a bit down and then up again and then down again. A few days or weeks of no weight change for the last part is nothing. Its upto you now, how hard you want to get rid or whether you are ok with what you have already lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your fit enough to do insanity do it . I went from tumor in the stomach last january to hitting the gym at 100 kg in april  got down to 86kg in 5 months and ripped up . I only ate sensibly and didnt diet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've hit 12 stone! That's over a stone lost now and I'm reasonably happy. Still got a gut but its really stubborn now and I'm losing more muscle than fat over recent days. Hard to know how to really target that belly fat.

 

Any suggestions?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I've hit 12 stone! That's over a stone lost now and I'm reasonably happy. Still got a gut but its really stubborn now and I'm losing more muscle than fat over recent days. Hard to know how to really target that belly fat.

 

Any suggestions?

 

 

You can't target fat loss in a specific area unfortunately. Where it's stored and where it comes off first is entirely genetic. All you can do is remain in a calorie deficit (which might need recalculating at a lower weight) and the weight will continue to drop. Resistance training and consuming adequate protein will help preserve muscle. You don't have to be chucking around massive weights at the gym - body-weight exercises or yoga are good alternatives. I'm down just over three stone in total now - it does get a lot harder the less you weigh! You've just got to stick with it and accept slower losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

I've hit 12 stone! That's over a stone lost now and I'm reasonably happy. Still got a gut but its really stubborn now and I'm losing more muscle than fat over recent days. Hard to know how to really target that belly fat.

 

Any suggestions?

 

 

How do you know you are losing muscle over fat? As long as you are eating enough protein daily and not going mental on excersizes you wont be losing muscle. 

 

As @egg_fried_ricesaid you cant target fat areas and if you are not losing weight should look into your macros in abit more depth. A couple of years ago i did what is known as 'lazy keto' where all i would count is carbs and stay below 20 a day. It did work and i lost weight but since January 1st i decided to go all out and actually look at what i was eating and remain not only low on carbs but also in a calorific deficit. As with all diets you over eat and you will not lose weight and this is true to Keto aswell. Eating ketogenically does NOT mean you will lose weight. 

 

Since weight loss is not linear and scales do sometimes lie (as in they show you total weight and not just fat weight) there will be days when you have ate great but yet have still put on weight. You need to remember this extra weight is most likely water and not fat. A truer representation of fat loss is actual measurements from waist hips bum arms etc. 

 

What helped me massively is i downloaded an app called Cronometer and i keep a daily diary of what i eat, it may seem like a pain in the ass but it really helps me see that im not overeating on fat and making sure my protein is bang on or slightly above. (Always staying in calorific defict.) In fact i have lost x2 as much weight on Keto this time around in half the time, than i did previously and this time i started at a lower weight. I also only eat between the hours of 12 and 6 (lunch and dinner) so basically fast for 18h per day which is where Keto really kicks in and burns the fat. 

 

Will post at end of month but i am on target again for this month to have lost 1/2 stone, which i am very happy with since i'm never hungry and can easily manage this diet/WoE. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Lost pretty much a stone since I last updated on here (6 Feb).

 

Keto, IF and now with running 3x a week.

IMG_20190321_104645.jpg

Excellent job, well done. 

 

8lbs down since i last posted, as you know i also do Keto and have been more strict with IF since i stalled for a few weeks. Also this week i started going on my bike again and trying to do 15 mins spinning but its hellish and my legs are killing me today, so day off with the bike. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Excellent job, well done. 

 

8lbs down since i last posted, as you know i also do Keto and have been more strict with IF since i stalled for a few weeks. Also this week i started going on my bike again and trying to do 15 mins spinning but its hellish and my legs are killing me today, so day off with the bike. 

Are you still off the booze Suze?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Izzy said:

Are you still off the booze Suze?

No i abstained all of January (as you know) which gave me a massive perspective of how much i was actually drinking. And i drink no where close to that amount now. Before i could easy drink a bottle of red most nights along with a few beers. 

Since Jan 1st ive not touched any beer, i do miss it and i know i will even more so when summer comes, but im so focused on getting healthier and losing weight its a massive no no. I still drink the occasional glass of red but do so now only socially when friends are here or if i go down the pub. Never thought i would have been able to do it tbh but i see now it was of a habit more than anything and i feel so much better for breaking it. 

 

Next target when weight is dropped is to stop smoking, will try cold turkey 1st but if that doesnt work out i will be coming to you for advice on vapping. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

No i abstained all of January (as you know) which gave me a massive perspective of how much i was actually drinking. And i drink no where close to that amount now. Before i could easy drink a bottle of red most nights along with a few beers. 

Since Jan 1st ive not touched any beer, i do miss it and i know i will even more so when summer comes, but im so focused on getting healthier and losing weight its a massive no no. I still drink the occasional glass of red but do so now only socially when friends are here or if i go down the pub. Never thought i would have been able to do it tbh but i see now it was of a habit more than anything and i feel so much better for breaking it. 

 

Next target when weight is dropped is to stop smoking, will try cold turkey 1st but if that doesnt work out i will be coming to you for advice on vapping. 

 

Nice one mate , great to hear that you feel so much better for it :thumbup:

 

I still miss a beer in the summer but I know that as soon as I have one I'll have another and then I'll be hooked again and back on a bottle of wine a night.

 

I'm so weak willed that it has to be all or nothing for me!

 

Good luck with giving up the dreaded fags and always happy to help with any vape advice :thumbup:

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Merging Cultures said:

Lost pretty much a stone since I last updated on here (6 Feb).

 

Keto, IF and now with running 3x a week.

IMG_20190321_104645.jpg

 

Nice going big boy ...   no, no ...   I’m now going to downgrade you to boy ...   :thumbup:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Countryfox said:

 

Nice going big boy ...   no, no ...   I’m now going to downgrade you to boy ...   :thumbup:

Cheeky git!

 

But yeah, officially, I am no longer obese just overweight!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Excellent job, well done. 

 

8lbs down since i last posted, as you know i also do Keto and have been more strict with IF since i stalled for a few weeks. Also this week i started going on my bike again and trying to do 15 mins spinning but its hellish and my legs are killing me today, so day off with the bike. 

I couldn't run today, my knees are screwed from having been so heavy. Although my times have been the best I've ran in 7 years. Geez, how did I let myself go so badly?!

 

IF will help get over the stall for sure. I mentioned it helped me get past the January plateau. I also lowered the calories for a week and boom. I'll probably lower my calories again next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still on keto - but have relapsed in to social drinking; I say social.. I mean mainly drinking when I have work meetings; since a lot of my brokers have become friends.

 

Down to 11 stone 8 though, which is good considering I was 13 stone 4 on the 4th January.

 

Not getting to the gym as much as I should; but hoping to improve that next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Still on keto - but have relapsed in to social drinking; I say social.. I mean mainly drinking when I have work meetings; since a lot of my brokers have become friends.

 

Down to 11 stone 8 though, which is good considering I was 13 stone 4 on the 4th January.

 

Not getting to the gym as much as I should; but hoping to improve that next week.

How are you finding keto? 

 

I've also been on it since Jan and lost about 25lbs. Plateaued for nearly 3 weeks now though and not very motivated.

 

You can still pretty much drink any spirit on Keto mind you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found this tread so apologies if I go over anything already said but cannae be arsed to read the whole thing.  I have always been pretty skinny so not looking to lose weight but I am interested in diet from a health point of view.  I started Time Restricted Eating a few weeks ago (I have my first food at 11am and last at 8pm, this includes all liquids apart from water).  I eat healthy foods in general, always cook from scratch and go to the gym but all the research I have done suggests that Time Restricted Eating or IF (I prefer the routine of Time Restricted myself, I like to keep things simple) have so many benefits not just weight loss.  I have actually lost a couple of kg in those weeks (from about 80kg to 78kg) although I was at about 76kg before Christmas so it is about my average weight.  The interesting thing is I do genuinely feel better and have been performing well at gym.  I also don't get mental hungry as often (I have always been one of those people that always gets hungry and gets grumpy if I don't eat every hour but that seems to have disappeared).  Wondered if anyone else had experience of TIme Restricted or IF?

 

The real test for me will be whether I lose the fat around my belly/torso as I have heard good things regarding Time Restricted Eatings ability to increase muscle and lose fat.  As I said, always been slim but any weight I do carry tends to go the the torso so it looks a bit "skinny fat".  Will see how it goes.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Just found this tread so apologies if I go over anything already said but cannae be arsed to read the whole thing.  I have always been pretty skinny so not looking to lose weight but I am interested in diet from a health point of view.  I started Time Restricted Eating a few weeks ago (I have my first food at 11am and last at 8pm, this includes all liquids apart from water).  I eat healthy foods in general, always cook from scratch and go to the gym but all the research I have done suggests that Time Restricted Eating or IF (I prefer the routine of Time Restricted myself, I like to keep things simple) have so many benefits not just weight loss.  I have actually lost a couple of kg in those weeks (from about 80kg to 78kg) although I was at about 76kg before Christmas so it is about my average weight.  The interesting thing is I do genuinely feel better and have been performing well at gym.  I also don't get mental hungry as often (I have always been one of those people that always gets hungry and gets grumpy if I don't eat every hour but that seems to have disappeared).  Wondered if anyone else had experience of TIme Restricted or IF?

 

The real test for me will be whether I lose the fat around my belly/torso as I have heard good things regarding Time Restricted Eatings ability to increase muscle and lose fat.  As I said, always been slim but any weight I do carry tends to go the the torso so it looks a bit "skinny fat".  Will see how it goes.  X

I do IF - eat a light lunch around 12.00 and and evening meal of meat and veg around 5pm so eat in approx a 6 hour window. It helps me to not have to worry about food and snacking etc and along with Keto i dont have ever feel hungry. My downfall though is if i go out and have a drink in the evening as technically that breaks the fast since you are consuming calories. 

 

IF or restricted eating as you call it has shown decent results for removing belly fat, compared to other diets/ways of eating. 

 

Try taking measurements around your tummy and see how you get on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on a stag do and I’m 100% becoming a vegetarian and not drinking for a month. I’ve just eaten a sandwich the size of my torso, absolute slob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Been on a stag do and I’m 100% becoming a vegetarian and not drinking for a month. I’ve just eaten a sandwich the size of my torso, absolute slob.

 

Make it vegan instead and I guarantee your body will love you for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buce said:

 

Make it vegan instead and I guarantee your body will love you for it. 

I may be a willy puller but I’m not that much of a willy puller lol.

 

Thats too much effort.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently a couple of stone lighter than I was early last year. Weight fluctuates quite a bit but I'm determined to keep it around 14-14 1/2 stone which is reasonable as I'm 6'2"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing alright at the moment, managed not to eat my body weight in Easter eggs last month and evening/lunchtime meals are pretty good. 

 

What I'm struggling with though is cake/chocolate/sweets being brought into my office by colleagues and being offered round. Literally just stuffed my face with those mini flapjack bites that someone brought in for their birthday, basically ruining my day of eating. Did the same yesterday with Maoams. When I can plan my day of eating I'm fine and don't eat crap but when it's in front of my face I can't help myself. Visible abs for the summer down here was the goal this year but I won't get anywhere near at this rate lol  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/05/2019 at 11:12, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Doing alright at the moment, managed not to eat my body weight in Easter eggs last month and evening/lunchtime meals are pretty good. 

 

What I'm struggling with though is cake/chocolate/sweets being brought into my office by colleagues and being offered round. Literally just stuffed my face with those mini flapjack bites that someone brought in for their birthday, basically ruining my day of eating. Did the same yesterday with Maoams. When I can plan my day of eating I'm fine and don't eat crap but when it's in front of my face I can't help myself. Visible abs for the summer down here was the goal this year but I won't get anywhere near at this rate lol  

TBH you have to get into the mindset of what feels better for you.... 'those 5 mins of eating chocolate' or the rest of the summer with abs. which feeling would you prefer the most? 5 mins or 3 months? 

 

I know for me, im way happier being slimmer after forfeiting chocolate/beer and eating much healthier its good buying new smaller clothes than i did 6 months ago. 

 

Habits are damn hard to break, but it feels great when you can break them. It may sound stupid but i actually get a buzz when i turn down a sweet or can walk away from something i know will **** me up ..... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TL;DR for the above but does anybody have any advice for Keto? 

 

Ive counted calories and been in a deficit for ages but I think that’s taken me as far as it can now, I’ve also got quite a lot of stubborn ‘chub’ round my middle that I’m keen to get rid of and after research I think upping my fats and lowering my carbs might help. 

 

Would calorie counting AND sticking to a Keto diet be advisable? Or would it not matter as much? 

 

For reference, I’m pretty active, I walk everywhere, enjoy sport and go to the gym 3/4 times a week. 

 

As said above I’m being incredibly lazy and not reading back through the thread so apologies if it’s been debated to death!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Manini said:

TL;DR for the above but does anybody have any advice for Keto? 

 

Ive counted calories and been in a deficit for ages but I think that’s taken me as far as it can now, I’ve also got quite a lot of stubborn ‘chub’ round my middle that I’m keen to get rid of and after research I think upping my fats and lowering my carbs might help. 

 

Would calorie counting AND sticking to a Keto diet be advisable? Or would it not matter as much? 

 

For reference, I’m pretty active, I walk everywhere, enjoy sport and go to the gym 3/4 times a week. 

 

As said above I’m being incredibly lazy and not reading back through the thread so apologies if it’s been debated to death!! 

Will reply when at PC as it would be typos4us on phone. But have a very good knowledge of Keto 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...