Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What do you typically eat for breakfast?

5 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Wish I had the luxury of having time for two breakfasts. To do what you do would mean getting up at 4 am.

Generally I have whatever cereal was on offer in the supermarket when we did the weekly shopping, so one week it might be shredders, the next cornflakes, then weetabix. Of course, a pack doesn't usually last exactly a week, so I might sometimes mix the last shredding with the last two weetabix or cornflakes with sheriffs.

On days off, the full English is a nice treat!

N.B. my first "weetabix" was auto-corrected to "Germanic" :dunno: , the second to "waterslide" :blink: and the last one (in this sentence) to "Westland", with a capital W, which means it recognizes Westland as a brand name, but not Weetabix ("ecstatic", in case you were wondering. lol )

Yeah, I have the good fortune of working from home, so I get to eat when I like. 

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’ve never tried cereal. I’m not keen on milk, I don’t mind it in stuff like tea and I don’t mind yogurts but milk on it’s own makes my skin crawl. 

You’ve never tried cereal? Not even as a kid? 

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think I’ve picked at it dry before but not really understood it’s appeal, like I say it’s the milk that’s off putting.

I know it’s wierd, I love porridge but cereal just looks grim.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think I’ve picked at it dry before but not really understood it’s appeal, like I say it’s the milk that’s off putting.

Yeah, It’s full of sugar mostly and without milk it’s nutritionally bereft. 

Do you let your kids have it?

Edited by Buce

4 minutes ago, Strokes said:

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t cereal a load of crap ..   I’m sure I read that it would be better for you to eat the cardboard box than what’s inside ...   whereas porridge is very good for you, especially at breakfast. 

Just now, Buce said:

Yeah, It’s full of sugar mostly. 

Do you let your kids have it?

Yeah, they love it. My wife eats it too, it’s just me that’s strange. Like I said earlier though I’m not big on eating anything sweet as soon as I get up. I couldn’t have jam or honey on toast either, even though I quite like both.

Just now, Countryfox said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t cereal a load of crap ..   I’m sure I read that it would be better for you to eat the cardboard box than what’s inside ...   whereas porridge is very good for you, especially at breakfast. 

No, you’re spot on. It has to be fortified with vitamins by law to make it anything like nutritious. 

I won’t let my daughter eat it. 

Full of salt and sugar too. 

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I love malt loaf but tend to avoid it because I assumed it was fattening. Maybe it's the half inch of butter I tend to spread on each slice.

You ever tried it bareback? Well odd, needs the slab of butter

I was in Aldi the other day and they had a Soreen with Winter Spice, well nice. Tastes like malty mince pie

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I was in Aldi the other day and they had a Soreen with Winter Spice, well nice. Tastes like malty mince pie

I bareback it every time. Could also smash a full loaf or even a 50% extra free loaf (often more expensive than buying two normal loaves) in one sitting without blinking, have done so many times. 

The winter spice was a bit bit dry for my liking, nice enough flavour but didn’t have the soft chewiness of the ordinary loaf. The banana loaf is great too.

14 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah I tried that winter spice one, it was great. The best bit was nobody else liked it, so I smashed the lot, my own little treat.

• Like 1

Friday morning is cob day. Bacon, sausage and egg from Bradgate Street. To be honest, I'll sometimes treat myself on a Monday on the way to work as well. 

If I'm at home, tea and toast. You can't beat some nice fresh, thick cut toasted bread covered in butter. 

Otherwise I take a plastic tub of weetabix and cornflakes to work. 

12 hours ago, Strokes said:

I’ve never tried cereal. I’m not keen on milk, I don’t mind it in stuff like tea and I don’t mind yogurts but milk on it’s own makes my skin crawl. 

Do you like almond flavoured stuff? Marzipan or praline or anything like that? 

If you do, almond milk on cereal is a revelation. 

12 hours ago, Strokes said:

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Do you like almond flavoured stuff? Marzipan or praline or anything like that? 

If you do, almond milk on cereal is a revelation. 

I didn't think to mention plant milks - I'm not keen on almond, and soya is a no no because of it's oestrogenic (and tastes vile), but I absolutely love oat milk.

Has to be porridge, the perfect all year round breakfast. Jam or Curd, or if I'm feeling really flush some fresh raspberries.

Fair to say, however, that there really is no better breakfast than hotel buffet breakfast. Cooked breakfast THEN a bowl of cereal and fruit is a glutton's dream.

My childhood memories do include Coco Pops, Nesquick, Golden Nuggets, Strike, Frosties 

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

I didn't think to mention plant milks - I'm not keen on almond, and soya is a no no because of it's oestrogenic (and tastes vile), but I absolutely love oat milk.

Well for a start it's because they're not really milk. I'm with Lewis Black on this, it's juice, the only reason we don't call it soy juice is just thinking those words makes you gag. Haha. 

But yeah, my oh is lactose intolerant. We've done almond, hazelnut, coconut, rice, soy. 

Almond is definitely my favourite for cereal but I love almond flavour stuff anyway. It's crap in tea though. To be honest, they're all crap in tea. If I can't have real milk I'd rather just have black, oolong or green tea. 

Rice is the most pointless, it's basically just slightly cloudy water.