Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Should we cash in?

So I'm just gonna put this out there...

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

Edited by Nick

Agree that if silly money is offered for Vardy (£35 million) we should take that for a 31 year old if reports are true, Mahrez has got to be worth at least £75 million in today’s market. Who could we get in or do we have them already in the pipeline....

Let's see how this 'secure' midfield copes for the rest of the season it's mostly untried

Ndidi could easily be enticed away in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

We have spent more than £110m on Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Iheanacho, Amartey, etc so absolutely not. We would be up shite creak without a paddle.

Very true. I'd sell all of them as well!

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

That should happen organically though. Vardy will get to a point where he drops off a little bit in the coming years so naturally he wont start every week. Riyad has stayed for longer than we expected so the summer seems about right for him going (Obviously I don't want this to happen).

Just changing for the sake of change with two incredibly important players would be a recipe for disaster.

Yeah I think I was thinking of ripping the plaster of quickly rather than the painful and slow deconstruction!

We struggle to buy established players.  If we were a big team who could attract decent players with any kind of money, maybe yeah, but we're not.  If Man U's interest is really there its because we're a small team and we're expected to sell.  We wouldnt benefit enough from the money to do it I think

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

No, we shouldn't. We could still achieve something this season (Europa League / FA Cup) and should avoid jeopardising that if at all possible.

We shouldn't sell either player in Jan unless it would deprive them of a massive move, leaving them resentful at being here AND we were paid a massive fee and could buy good replacements (unlikely, short-term).

I'm pretty resigned to Mahrez leaving in the summer (hopefully not now), unless his form collapses in the next few months. But that would allow us summer rebuilding time.

I'd hope that Vardy will stay and contribute for at least 2-3 more years - and think his game adapts better to other styles of play than you're suggesting, Swan.

Although he'll probably score fewer goals in a team playing more possession football and less counter-attacking, he can still contribute with his excellent awareness of teammates' movement, energy, finishing & play off the shoulder.

Unless we're made an offer we truly cannot refuse, we should keep Vardy and look to integrate at least 1 potential replacement. That might be a striker already here (Iheanacho the only chance, I think - and that doesn't look good) or might mean selling most of Slimani, Musa, Ulloa & Iheanacho and bringing in 1-2 new strikers, maybe including a young player who will take time to reach PL level.

Also, as @Costock_Fox says, if we sold Vardy and Mahrez things could quickly unravel unless we were very wise or lucky in acquiring replacements. We could easily end up with a massive summer rebuilding job and a relegation struggle next season.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 2

nope not for me we dont need the money, and what message does it send out for potential signings / the rest of the squad.

For me Vardy stays people say he will lose his pace? How many goals this season has he scored where he has needed his pace? For me Vardy is getting better and better he is techincally a better player than people give him credit for.

Mahrez 75mill i would sell him for anything less and its a no deal.

The club need to be careful as losing drinkwater and kante was painful but the replacements have been good so far, losing Vardy and Mahrez you are lumping a lot of pressure on players to step up to replicate what these two have been doing for 4-5 years now.

• Like 1

Absolutely not. I would like to think we are going to have some stability now in terms of Puel, and he is going to focus on building a team for the future. However, he has to start with where we are, and right now that is a team with centres around Mahrez and Vardy. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

So I'm just gonna put this out there...

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

No.

The money means nothing especially if you can't get the replacements. We've bought 3 very expensive "replacement" strikers. 

IMO we shouldn't sell Mahrez nor Vardy and we should ride them into the ground and then let them go as used up husks without fee.

2 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

Keep. Kane gets injured, Vardy World Cup golden boot. Sell for £150m to Barca plus Film sequel rights. Just waiting to happen.

I am still daring to dream of Vardy scoring the winning goal to round off the perfect story for a film. Saying that I had the same dream before the Euros, and we know how that went... 

42 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

We have spent more than £110m on Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Iheanacho, Amartey, etc so absolutely not. We would be up shite creak without a paddle.

This is effectively the problem for me now. We've blown so much money it's unreal and it would totally defeat the object of selling high. The whole idea for me, is buy low, sell high, buy low but higher than your original buy, sell higher and so on (I get that's a simple way of putting it) and gradually you progress, but you've got to have excellent recruitment for it to work and now I'm not sure we do.

• Like 3