Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Should we cash in?

There's a one word answer; Southampton

For years they seemed to buck the hypothesis that you can't keep selling your best players and keep improving. Now after a few years they look to be potential relegation candidates.

Even if we sold them for 150 million we wouldn't be able to replace their quality and we would end up with inferior players. There are only so many top players out there and the so-called big clubs are hell bent on acquiring as many as possible even if they spend time on the bench or worse. All of course fueled by the greed of agents for whom big deals to big clubs mean loads of cash.

• Like 2

Wow. This isn’t football manager you know. This is reality. 

1) £100m is less than you think it is

2) Vardy has defined the entire way we’ve played for years

3) Mahrez similarly has given us some magical moments over the years

4) a £50m player purchased by Leicester is always likely to be of lower quality than one signed by a ‘big club’. 

Are we likely to hold onto one and not the other? Out the two key players in the team, obviously Mahrez is going to go first, and if he goes in the summer it'll be very a tidy sum and outrageous profit.

The player that concerns me at the moment is N'didi. We need to hold onto him for as long as possible and not be the DM stepping stone club. But when he does go, his price will be eye-watering.

Also Maguire is crucial for our defensive future. We should be building a defensive team around him.

If we sell our players wholesale, it sends a message out to the vultures, a very bad message. We don't need the money, we need to maintain some continuity within the team, and prepare to replace where needed, but also supplement the team with a strong under 23s and burgeoning u18's, which seemingly at this moment are doing well, and under Puel I'd like to hope we'll bring through at the right time so we don't have keep buying.

• Like 1

I don't think it's the problem finding suitable replacements out there or players of the similar calibre, it's that we have a rather terrible record when it comes to buying "established" or young talent abroad (with the exception proving the rule).

Mahrez and Kanté were the last two great finds, and since then, we have wasted millions on

Slimani (£28m)

Iheanacho (£25m)

Musa (£16m)

Ndidi (£17m)

Amartey (£6m)

Mendy (£13m)

Iborra (£15m)

Kapustka (£7.5m)

for a total of roughly £127.5m!

That doesn't mean that I disregard the individual player's qualities and some of these names may come good with time at LCFC, but our record with the amount of players that haven't clicked or struggled to "fit in" in recent months (read: in the last one and a half years) is pretty disappointing.

Our recruitment policy comes across as very sketchy. Value for money? :nigel:

Plus several loanees that haven't left a lasting impression, with Molla Wagué springing to mind, for instance.

We seem to be focusing on the African touch a bit too often for my liking. Benalouane (£7m) hasn't really convinced me since he joined us, either (although I do see talent there still).

And now this Diabaté kid...

I wonder whether we'll ever learn. I realize that scouting isn't an easy task, but why can't we improve? Why won't we improve? Why do we fail to discover talent that fits our work ethic? What happened to thriving on the "underdog" tag? Why can't we resurrect that movement? Just because of one league title?

I think we ought to keep Mahrez and Vardy at all costs, and finally start planning more long-term now with Silva on board, with a clear strategy in mind of where we want to go. When I look at the list above with all these names, I usually see a lot of confusion and despair.

A tabula rasa is desperately needed. If we somehow manage to sell most of the high earners to other clubs, we'll still make a loss on each and every one, that's how bad it is. No team outside the Premier League will want to pay Premier League prices. But we're damned if we do and damned if we don't...

Edited by MC Prussian

IF we need the money, then there are several overpriced shit players who we can sell to bring it in.

Selling our best players is pointless. Even if they demand to leave, I'm happy for them to sit on the bench until we have adequate replacements. Which we don't, currently.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

I don't think it's the problem finding suitable replacements out there or players of the similar calibre, it's that we have a rather terrible record when it comes to buying "established" or young talent abroad (with the exception proving the rule).

Mahrez and Kanté were the last two great finds, and since then, we have wasted millions on

Slimani (£28m)

Iheanacho (£25m)

Musa (£16m)

Ndidi (£17m)

Amartey (£6m)

Mendy (£13m)

Iborra (£15m)

Kapustka (£7.5m)

That doesn't mean that I disregard the individual player's qualities and some of these names may come good with time at LCFC, but our record with the amount of players that haven't clicked or struggled to "fit in" in recent months (read: in the last one and a half years) is pretty disappointing.

Plus several loanees that haven't left a lasting impression, with Molla Wagué springing to mind, for instance.

We seem to be focusing on the African touch a bit too often for my liking. Benalouane (£7m) hasn't really convinced me since he joined us, either (although I do see talent there still).

I wonder whether we'll ever learn. I realize that scouting isn't an easy task, but why can't we improve? Why won't we improve? Why do we fail to discover talent that fits our work ethic? What happened to thriving on the "underdog" tag? Why can't we resurrect that movement? Just because of one league title?

I think we ought to keep Mahrez and Vardy at all costs, and finally start planning more long-term now with Silva on board, with a clear strategy in mind of where we want to go. When I look at the list above with all these names, I usually see a lot of confusion and despair.

A tabula rasa is desperately needed. If we somehow manage to sell most of the high earners to other clubs, we'll still make a loss on each and every one, that's how bad it is. No team outside the Premier League will want to pay Premier League prices. But we're damned if we do and damned if we don't...

:nigel:

And by the way, I don't really think any of the top clubs really want our best players, I think they're back up options.

Vardy is irreplaceable for a team like ours but at his age he isn't going to be top of the list at club's competing for European trophies. I mean ye they'd take him tomorrow for £10m but they aren't going to pay the money we'd demand for a 32 year old.

Mahrez's inconsistent form over the last season and a half has definitely reduced the demand for him and the bigger clubs will be able to attract younger players with as much potential.

5 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Hating on Ndidi is a bit harsh.

But Amartey has certainly been a crap signing and the Iborra money looks wasted so far, despite a couple of encouraging performances he's been largely off the pace and I can't see him starting many games going forward.

21 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Sunderland wanted Iborra for £7m in 2016, a year later and a year older, he's suddenly worth more than double that amount?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good player. But we've clearly been mugged left, right and center since that league title.

Selling Kanté for £32m and Drinkwater later for £35m acts as a bit of a dampener, I admit that.

Maybe I'd just love to see our club to invest money a bit more wisely.

Whether Ndidi is worth £17m remains to be seen. I see flashes of genius, but he needs to be played in the proper position and become more consistent.

Including Amartey in that list was a bit harsh, but still...

I'd say we tend to pay twice the actual amount/transfer value, just because we're in the Premier League and a one-time Premier League winner.

I don't like and I guess we'll have to live with squandering money like that for the rest of the club's existence in the top flight.

Edited by MC Prussian

22 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So I'm just gonna put this out there...

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

With our record in the transfer market recently, we would be relegated.

Alternatively why not sell Ulloa, Benalouane and Musa for whatever we can get and use the money saved in wages towards a RB. 

We should not be a selling club any longer. The owners have enough money to write off the £40m the club may be able to get for selling Mahrez over the next 4 years. All companies have depreciation in their accounts.

I wouldn't even sell Simpson and I don't like the man and want a definite upgrade in his position but as back-up he's worth keeping.

Small club mentality is for small clubs.

On 12/01/2018 at 10:55, Swan Lesta said:

So I'm just gonna put this out there...

Mahrez will leave at some juncture whether its this window or the summer and Vardy has a couple of years of pace left in him sure, although playing him week in week out as our first choice striker also dictates our style of play as Vardy is set up to pounce on the break in counter attacking moves rather than possession based football - which we increasingly seem to be attempting to gather personnel capable of doing....

If we were to cash in and say get around £110 million, would now be the time to buy a couple of £50 million a piece forwards to play in a three up front and go 4 3 3 with the second half of a season and a security net of points to do so?

I of course I would like them to both stay with us for the remainder of their careers but I'm wondering if now might be the time to capitalise, bite the bullet and overhaul the squad in the knowledge we have a very secure midfield, and half a young defensive back line to build with.

For better or worse* Vardy is everything about the way we play (*almost alway for the better, hence our successes)

If we sold the pair for £100m-ish, would you trust the club to get suitable replacements... look at who we've signed since Walsh left, the misses far outnumber the hits and the money we've paid is astronomical Vs the return we've got.

Look at other clubs who tried to rebuild their whole team after selling their 'difference-makers', Spurs 'swapped' Bale for Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue, Chiriches, Chadli, Eriksen & Lamela with only Eriksen stepping up & none of the rest being a patch on later signings... & our record at signings since Walsh left is probably way worse.

15 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Slimani (£28m)

Iheanacho (£25m)

Musa (£16m)

Ndidi (£17m)

Amartey (£6m)

Mendy (£13m)

Iborra (£15m)

Kapustka (£7.5m)

Ilborra  and Ndidi are not wasted transfers in fact they have both gone up in value Ndidi is and would be one of the most valued players at the club 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamlcfcbevo85 said:

Ilborra  and Ndidi are not wasted transfers in fact they have both gone up in value Ndidi is and would be one of the most valued players at the club 

Never said they‘re wasted transfers, I just wanted to show that we‘re massively overpaying for players that then go on to fail to make an impact.

How much have Iborra‘s and Ndidi‘s transfer value gone up since joining us, though?

Iborra‘s 30 now, I wonder for how much longer we‘ll be able to see the best of him.

54 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Never said they‘re wasted transfers, I just wanted to show that we‘re massively overpaying for players that then go on to fail to make an impact.

How much have Iborra‘s and Ndidi‘s transfer value gone up since joining us, though?

Iborra‘s 30 now, I wonder for how much longer we‘ll be able to see the best of him.

Ndidi is worth over double what we paid for him in a season. I get the point you made but Ndidi & Iborra IMO with today’s market have been great buys. As well as Amartey for £6m. That’s peanuts these days.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:04, Costock_Fox said:

We have spent more than £110m on Slimani, Musa, Mendy, Iheanacho, Amartey, etc so absolutely not. We would be up shite creak without a paddle.

Indeed, still cannot understand why people think mahrez can just be replaced.  Football is nowhere near that simple, its not football manager.

Also we shouldnt assume mahrez will go next summer either, arsenal have kept sanchez right till the last 6 months of his contract and may even let it run all the way down, mahrez still has 2.5 years left on his contract.

If we had at least half a decent replacement ready to go then perhaps it would be different, but we dont.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Indeed, still cannot understand why people think mahrez can just be replaced.  Football is nowhere near that simple, its not football manager.

Also we shouldnt assume mahrez will go next summer either, arsenal have kept sanchez right till the last 6 months of his contract and may even let it run all the way down, mahrez still has 2.5 years left on his contract.

If we had at least half a decent replacement ready to go then perhaps it would be different, but we dont.

The general consensus is that Arsenal have ****ed up with Sanchez and should have cashed in in the summer. I think Riyad only has 1.5 years left but may be wrong.

We're only going to sell if Mahrez really, and I mean really wants out. We wouldn't "cash in" because we don't need to. Like others have said he is irreplaceable, even if we got £100m for him (which I think his is current market value) we'd end up wasting it. 

I think i'd prefer to invest the transfer fee into the stadium and build a new tier called the "Mahrez band" where he would then be forever in our memories and we could see and feel the transfer fee at matches. 

Also isn't it mad to think we could receive a transfer fee for Mahrez that would be able to build 3 new KP stadiums and we don't actually need it. Mad but great situation to be in....

Edited by Collymore
  • Like 2