Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Parking charge notice

Got one from Lidl - £100 or £60 if paid within 14 days.

Parked in there for 3 hrs 16 mins as the road to my office was gridlocked due to a crash so just parked and walked the final half mile. Recovered the car in my dinner break.

Anyone appealed one of these ??

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Got one from Lidl - £100 or £60 if paid within 14 days.

Parked in there for 3 hrs 16 mins as the road to my office was gridlocked due to a crash so just parked and walked the final half mile. Recovered the car in my dinner break.

Anyone appealed one of these ??

No but I’ve ignored plenty.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Did they come after you ??

What was the outcome ??

They have no legal basis to prosecute you.  Basically they’ll send you shitloads if threatening letters then give up.

Its only if its a Council car park it can be enforced.  Otherwise they bank on people just paying out of fear of reprisal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Did they come after you ??

What was the outcome ??

Just now, Realist Guy In The Room said:

They have no legal basis to prosecute you.  Basically they’ll send you shitloads if threatening letters then give up.

Its only if its a Council car park it can be enforced.  Otherwise they bank on people just paying out of fear of reprisal.

Pretty much this.

• Like 1

I think the previous advice was to ignore, but now plenty of people have been successfully prosecuted for not paying. Check out Moneysavingexpert for more detailed advice.

You could try appealing to Lidl - did you shop there on the day and have a receipt?

Ignoring could work but is not without risk...

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think the previous advice was to ignore, but now plenty of people have been successfully prosecuted for not paying. Check out Moneysavingexpert for more detailed advice.

You could try appealing to Lidl - did you shop there on the day and have a receipt?

Ignoring could work but is not without risk...

the Lidl near me (and presumably most Lidls round the country now) has a system where you park up, shop, get receipt, use code on receipt to type in to a device near the exit, that gives you an hour free.

Not sure if the time limits are different for each store. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

the Lidl near me (and presumably most Lidls round the country now) has a system where you park up, shop, get receipt, use code on receipt to type in to a device near the exit, that gives you an hour free.

Not sure if the time limits are different for each store. 

Yeah some do but not all. Some just have the camera in and out. Having a quick read shows some people have successfully appealed to Lidl if they have a receipt for the day/time when the fine was issued. The parking company won't entertain appeals, especially if the @Spudulike parked for over 3 hours and didn't shop there...

Chances are the appeals process is a bit of a sham and even if you’ve got a good case (which it doesn’t sound like you have tbh) then they’ll reject it. The only way I’ve ever successfully got them off my back is by talking to the landowner or whoever holds the contract with the parking company and getting them to request to the parking company that they withdraw the charge. But in those cases I’ve had a legitimate reason why the charge shouldn’t have been issued. Not sure you’ve really got a leg to stand on if they have appropriate signage and you’ve broken the rules. Be careful with ignoring them in case it wrecks your credit score (not sure about this though so dyor).

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Chances are the appeals process is a bit of a sham and even if you’ve got a good case (which it doesn’t sound like you have tbh) then they’ll reject it. The only way I’ve ever successfully got them off my back is by talking to the landowner or whoever holds the contract with the parking company and getting them to request to the parking company that they withdraw the charge. But in those cases I’ve had a legitimate reason why the charge shouldn’t have been issued. Not sure you’ve really got a leg to stand on if they have appropriate signage and you’ve broken the rules. Be careful with ignoring them in case it wrecks your credit score (not sure about this though so dyor).

Because if you don't pay they can hand it over to the County Court and you can end up with a County Court Judgement against you which will cost you a lot more than sixty quid.

Safer just to cough up I think!

Ignoring it would have been good advice however recently they have been Morse successful in the courts. It's a civil matter which means that they need to do all the leg work to get it through the courts. They tend to focus on easy and efficient results so your best way forward is to add difficulty. Deny it, ask for evidence, etc etc.

14 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Ignoring it would have been good advice however recently they have been Morse successful in the courts. It's a civil matter which means that they need to do all the leg work to get it through the courts. They tend to focus on easy and efficient results so your best way forward is to add difficulty. Deny it, ask for evidence, etc etc.

Morse.jpg.144d1767472208a95db1f9f0f6716bce.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmmm, thanks for the advice.

I haven't go a Lidl receipt but it's one of those shared precinct things with a couple of other shops (Home Bargains or something). Should've just sat in the traffic jam and got to work an hour late like most colleagues did who now haven't got a parking fine.

Tricky one :ermm:

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I haven't go a Lidl receipt but it's one of those shared precinct things with a couple of other shops (Home Bargains or something). Should've just sat in the traffic jam and got to work an hour late like most colleagues did who now haven't got a parking fine.

You could always ask about it on an internet football forum. 

I've still ignored one these successfully very recently, had a few threatening letters from the parking company and then from a fake debt collection company which is conveniently located at the same address as the parking company, after a while they gave up.

Appealing is useless, these firms are led by crooks who only care about extorting money out of you and only offer you that option because they have to legally.

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Maybe ask your boss to pay it?lol

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My apologies.

As this is called General Chat I thought this was an area for general chat. But I'm no expert.

:rolleyes:

Don't apologise - it wasn't directed it at you more the subjective range of opinions that the internet can generate. This site isn't renowned for its consensus which is I suppose what makes it so compelling. 

If it hasn't been mentioned there should be an appeal process but that will make little difference because they tend to be quite arbitrary.  

44 minutes ago, Patrick said:

I've still ignored one these successfully very recently, had a few threatening letters from the parking company and then from a fake debt collection company which is conveniently located at the same address as the parking company, after a while they gave up.

Appealing is useless, these firms are led by crooks who only care about extorting money out of you and only offer you that option because they have to legally.

Rather ironically, I recently received a letter (copied and pasted below) a few day ago, the day I appealed against my parking charge - I park in a residential permit area, and accidently forgot (which was daft of me, as the warden around my location comes quite regularly) to leave my permit card on display whilst parked in my designated bay.

After receiving this letter. I attached a photographed a version of my vehicle registration on the car and parking permit as evidence that I have a right to park, and that I just forgotten to display it when leaving the car on the day I got penalised.

-

After appealing, I received a quick notification appeal from them stating that they'll decide within 14 days of my appeal, but wouldn't be too surprised if they reject it and I still have to pay the full fine cost (as, as you've mentioned, they're keen to get as much out of it as possible).

-

10 January 2018
Reference No : 1198473411***
Registration Number : - *** ***
Dear Mr P,

Thank you for your recent correspondence in relation to the above parking charge.
In order to make a final decision regarding your appeal, please provide a copy of a valid permit for this site to our
Appeals Department within fourteen days of the date of this letter.
Failure to provide this information will give us no alternative other than to make our final decision based on the
previous information received. At this stage a POPLA verification code will be provided.
Further correspondence can be sent by visiting our website at www.ukpcappeals.co.uk or by post to the address
overleaf. Please ensure that if sending evidence by post that you include the parking charge reference number and
vehicle registration.
The parking charge has been on hold whilst under appeal and may be settled in full at the reduced rate of £60.
PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER. UKPC REGULARLY TAKES MOTORISTS TO COURT WHO IGNORE
THEIR PARKING CHARGES. PLEASE SEE: www.ukparkingcontrol.com/parking-legalities FOR FURTHER
INFORMATION.
Yours faithfully,
Appeals Department
UK Parking Control Limited

Edited by Wymeswold fox