Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Anyone still have terrible internet?

We've just moved and kept sky broadband. No real issues in the old house - did a job and rarely any problems with Streaming / gaming although downloading PS4 updates took hours. Since we've moved it's dreadful and if someone is streaming a video, I can't even refresh a twitter feed. Going to have to look at upgrading to fibre as its ridiculous that we pay that much for broadband when the internet is faster if I set up a giffgaff sim card on an old phone and use that as a hotspot 

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Basically I might as well just move to the Amazon.

/wrists.

Biggest issue with living in flats, ****ing absurd that a tidy complex can't have a better internet connection. 

THIS!

Just bought a house so will be moving out of our listed apartment block that is only allowed one sky dish and everyone has to share broadband speed lollol 

Already signed up for BT 50mb, can't wait! 

A colleague of mine switched to one of those 'recommend us to ten other flats and we'll get you set up' people and got amazing internet in a big block of flats as everyone there signed up for fibre with this company. Think they're called Hyperoptic??

Virgin Media are meant to be doing a major expansion project. They've been digging up the local paths and making a lovely mess of putting them back together, all this without giving any of us any notice of the work happening. Hopefully the internet speeds will be worth it.

Could be worth checking this to see if you're going to be included.

5 hours ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

Virgin Media are meant to be doing a major expansion project. They've been digging up the local paths and making a lovely mess of putting them back together, all this without giving any of us any notice of the work happening. Hopefully the internet speeds will be worth it.

Could be worth checking this to see if you're going to be included.

Our neighbourhood is done and they claim 200mb but I know people with Virgin that get sub 100mb on this supposed speed.  These people also pay for the top deal to get those claimed speeds.  To get the lot you pay the full price.

I'll stick with BT.  They claim 50mb and you get 50mb.  You also get the TV cheaper and "the little black box" covers Sky Atlantic.  Netflix does the rest.

• Like 1

As mentioned before, our broadband is pretty pants. Average speed of 5mbps and if someone in the house streams a video, no one else really can! 

With sky at the moment and thinking of upgrading to the fibre unlimited package (costs an extra £6 a month). Will I notice a significant difference or are the speeds they mention going to be a fraction of what they are in reality and just wasting more money with them?

Sounds weird, but it actually had some bearing on where me and my girlfriend moved in. I said I wanted somewhere already compatible with Virgin's wiring and she thought I was being ridiculous. We've got a really nice place and 100Mbps fibre optic. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Sounds weird, but it actually had some bearing on where me and my girlfriend moved in. I said I wanted somewhere already compatible with Virgin's wiring and she thought I was being ridiculous. We've got a really nice place and 100Mbps fibre optic. 

I cannot stress enough how much I miss my Virgin media fibre optic. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I don't know you, I've never met you, but I can tell i'd really like you... that is spot on prioritisation right there! lol 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got BT Infinity 2 and get about 75Mbps but it dropped to half that just before xmas, plus the landline was crackling and kept dropping out. Did a line test from the BT website at about 10pm, it found a fault. Had an Openreach engineer at my door the following day at 8am. Fault traced to the manhole just up my street, another 2 Openreach engineers visited to confirm, another firm came along and dug up the manhole, followed by a further 2 Openreach engineers to fix the wiring in the manhole. Finally another 2 guys came along to reinstate the manhole and resurface the path. Took about 6 days from line test to completion, speeds back to normal, quite impressed by the response tbh. Fault was water ingress into the manhole and cable as it turned out.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2018 at 11:24, syston_fox said:

As mentioned before, our broadband is pretty pants. Average speed of 5mbps and if someone in the house streams a video, no one else really can! 

With sky at the moment and thinking of upgrading to the fibre unlimited package (costs an extra £6 a month). Will I notice a significant difference or are the speeds they mention going to be a fraction of what they are in reality and just wasting more money with them?

I had Sky broadband unlimited and at Christmas paid the extra £6 for Fibre Umlimited, getting around 40mbs now from the usual 5/6mvs, and it’s deffo worth it.....I would say go with it.

So jealous of you fvckers with fibre. 

I live out in the sticks and speed is about 6Mbps tops. There's a local company who are installing fibre village by village, but we're well down on the list and it could be another 2-3 years until we get it :(

Problem is I do a lot of work over Skype and Google hangout. If anyone else in the house decides to stream something at the same time my connection goes crap so I have to literally go around and switch every single device off beforehand.

First world problems I know but bloody frustrating when you need fibre for work :@

I've got BT Infinity and supposed to get 75 but only get 30ish plus it keeps dropping out and going slooooowwwwww.

Had a good offer from Virgin who tell me I can get ultrafast not sure about changing although will save me £40 in the first year and it's a 12 month contract.

Anyone got this virgin ultra?

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I'm supposed to get (upto) 38mbps. In my old house I used to get around 20 but I've just done a speedtest here  and I got 31. Not bad.

I'd give my right nut for 31mbps :(