Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Malabo Fox

Best Away Day

For me it was Man City away in 2016.

In terms of weather it was an awful day, pissing it down no end and the stadium had lots of empty seats despite being 1st versus 2nd but in the away end it was absolute joyful bedlam! The whole day started with nervous excitement and we were rewarded with in my opinion our best ever away performance. Literally all our fans were looking at each other with a “Is this really happening” expression. Riyad’s sensational second then Huth for 3-0! I can even vividly remember Fuchs from pitch side screaming “****ing hell!” when that one went in!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, sylofox said:

Would loved to have been at palace 15/16 ssn doing a commentary on our fans singing. Even reporting police going in now to remove leicester fans. Still singing "we know you won't believe us" lollol classic ssn reporting.

I  couldn't get a ticket with the away fans so managed to get one in the Holmsdale end. I was there when Mahrez scored but got asked to leave at half time when somebody noticed i had  blue scarf on under my coat. Thought i was going to get arrested but they just threw me out. It wss worth it though.

Luton in the FA Cup way back in the Bloomfield era in the  70’s. Won four nil and Weller  and co were unplayable. Was with our fans in the open end in the wind and drizzle. Pitch was pretty awful but we played incredible football that day. Never forgot that day. 

8 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

This is one of my favourites. A boozed up day in London, 8500 City fans down round side of the ground all standing, a noisy and very boisterous crowd, mini pitch invasion, and stranded in London. I think every one of the 8500 lost their shit that night.

Yeah, that was a mental away day, felt like we were the home team that night. Problem for me now is all those 90’s play off and league cup semi finals merge into one now! We were really spoilt looking back...

I haven't been to many away games.

One of my faves was Spurs away in the cup a couple of seasons ago. Schluup scored with like 2 minutes to go for a 2-1 win. The crowd went mental with people falling over seats and hugging random strangers.

Its one of the only victories I have seen away from home, I can pretty much recite every away game i've been to (not including Wembley)

Blackpool away FT 3-3

Nottingham Forest away FT 0-0

Spurs away FT 1-2

Sunderland away FT 0-0 (Great escape, secured survival)

Newcastle away FT 1-0 (Obertan :mad:)

In fact I think the Spurs cup match is the only win i've seen away from home lol. I went to Porto, Seville and Madrid last season and didn't see a victory.

Think I will stick to the Home matches, i'm clearly a bad omen lol 

8 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Was a great away day, the four hour train journey home will always live in the memory, particularly all the durex blown up filled with spit sticking out of every window. 

Big shout out for the Fulham game and also QPR 72 away, Joe Waters Day - that was an unbelievably atmosphere.

WBA semi in 69 was fantastic as they had parked all the coaches together - so our Midland Red was in between two WBA coaches. The aggro was brilliant, after the game, no punches from them just plenty of verbals. Once we were on our coaches obviously gave them plenty of grief - good times!! 

Apologies to the under 35's, but standing and sitting no comparison. 

4-4 at Villa away was also memorable. 

Feel really blessed having moved from Paddington to Leicester in 61, the old man had job offers in Bristol! Thank God he made the right choice!  

I was behind the goal amongst our fans for the QPR game, what a day!!! Joe Waters, what a debut. Also was in the home end for the WBA semifinal in 69. Both amazing away games. Were you at Luton fro 4-0 Cup game ? That one is my favorite one from “the old days”. We played just brilliant football that day. This club has given us all some priceless memories!

Too many to mention but some of my particular favourites:

Man City 3-1 win

Man Utd when we virtually won the league 

Brugge

Cheltenham in league 1

Forest in the league cup 07

WBA (3-2 to stay up and 4-1 when Howard got a hat trick)

Wimbledon semi final mentioned was one of the best.

Also when we were in division 1, drew Fulham premiership at the time in the Cup,  August 2008.

We filled the away end, every fan there was loyal to the core, a midweek match in London, newly relegated to the lowest league we had ever been in, but we didn’t stop singing the entire match,  in virtually an empty stadium.

We were 1-0 down, but  then 2 quick goals straight after half time put us ahead, que proper mental celebrations. Dickov jumped into us for the second goal!

Went down 3-2 in the end, but I remembered Pearson, came over to clap us at the end and I thought fair play to him, he might be alright..and from that moment, its been a pretty decent 10 years! 

Edited by coatsworth999
  • Like 1

Both from the title season:

Everton 2-3 Leicester - going top at Christmas was big. Drinkwater was sat a few seats along from my brother and I too.

Man City 1-3 Leicester - quite possibly the best football match I've been too. We were f**king class. Only Sevilla at home comes close.

Edited by LCCFox96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

For pure drama and atmosphere in the away end I always think Cardiff away in the playoffs is right up there. Just a shame it turned out how it did.

What a great shout. That game had everything, it was a fantastic experience at the time, even if it was the most heartbroken I'd ever been at the end of it all.

From the initial hope to the Chopra opener standing there and thinking it was all over. Then the own goal to level the tie at 2-2. King's header put me in bedlam. I genuinely didn't utter a single word when they scored to level the tie up until the end of penalties. The tension, the hope.

Sometimes you have to detach yourself from a game and say "oh wow, that was entertaining" and that's exactly what it was.

14 hours ago, LCFC FOX said:

Burnley in the championship winning year.

West Brom in the great escape.

They both make my top 5.

Brugge 2016, Forest 2013 and possibly one of the ones from the title run in would fill the remainder, contenders there being Watford, Palace and Sunderland. I wasn't at Man City though. Still sick about it now.

14 hours ago, steveherbe said:

Swindon league 1, we still talk about it. West Brom away for the curry, Saints 4 1 cos we beat the locals, Forest 0 0 in the cup, we turned Nottingham blue, Watford 3 0, Knocky scoring, scenes as the youngdters say.

When we were 2 up with 5 minutes left and drew? lol Might be a personal one for you but I don't remember that being one of the good ones of that season.

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

When we were 2 up with 5 minutes left and drew? lol Might be a personal one for you but I don't remember that being one of the good ones of that season.

Thats the one. Personal favourite of ours, first time Tom stood on a proper terrace, good pre-match pub - again one of Toms firsts- friendly home fans, me freezing my nuts off in a replica shirt, and it wasnt too far from home. Just a good banter day, result kind of spolied it as you say.

16 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

Thats the one. Personal favourite of ours, first time Tom stood on a proper terrace, good pre-match pub - again one of Toms firsts- friendly home fans, me freezing my nuts off in a replica shirt, and it wasnt too far from home. Just a good banter day, result kind of spolied it as you say.

I never want the club to be in league one again but the away days were brilliant. 

Cheltenham is still up there for me. Just a great day.

And looking at league differences now. I actually went to Stockport County away for a league fixture lol Seems bizarre to think given how far they've fallen.

Edited by Fox92

Remember Scunthorpe being a fairly decent away day, Mainly due to the fact their was a Samuel Smiths pub which was about £1 a pint.

I always enjoy Newcastle away most seasons, easy ground to get to, enough pubs before kick off to chose and always found the Geordies I have spoken to a friendly bunch.

3 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

Remember Scunthorpe being a fairly decent away day, Mainly due to the fact their was a Samuel Smiths pub which was about £1 a pint.

I always enjoy Newcastle away most seasons, easy ground to get to, enough pubs before kick off to chose and always found the Geordies I have spoken to a friendly bunch.

Scunthorpe is superb, as is Barnsley.