Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scanchez

Nice pubs in Leicester

21 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

It's a peanut butter biscuit imperial stout and it's really quite a phenomenal drop mate. Fairly expensive but not very often it pops up in pubs so it's a must try 

Sounds decent, I’m probably in there before the match on Saturday so might give it a taste.

I had the Buxton sunriser beer or whatever it’s called there last week, tasty stuff.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sounds decent, I’m probably in there before the match on Saturday so might give it a taste.

I had the Buxton sunriser beer or whatever it’s called there last week, tasty stuff.

They have a Buxton X Omnipollo collaboration beer in there which is an ice cream pale ale. Probably my favourite beer of all time 

Ended up the The Shires Peatling Parva last night, great beef wellington. 

Currently in brewdog, imperial chocolate stout by Tiny Rebel is the only 9%er that’s socially acceptable to drink at midday... if I keep saying that I might believe it. Delicious either way.

On 16/08/2018 at 22:05, Samilktray said:

They have a Buxton X Omnipollo collaboration beer in there which is an ice cream pale ale. Probably my favourite beer of all time 

Sitting here trying both of your recommendations, cheers for the 11%er. Probably not taking much of the match in today to be fair.

22 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ended up the The Shires Peatling Parva last night, great beef wellington. 

Currently in brewdog, imperial chocolate stout by Tiny Rebel is the only 9%er that’s socially acceptable to drink at midday... if I keep saying that I might believe it. Delicious either way.

Glad you enjoyed it ?

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:03, Cardiff_Fox said:

Went Two Tailed Lion yesterday for the first time. Excellent pub and they’ve done a great job with the interior too. Cans/bottle selection was unreal. 

I finished the night off with a Left Handed Giant Pisatcho and Honeycomb Stout - bloody lovely 

I was in there on Saturday for the first time too. Really nice place.

Great beer selection.

I notice they have an upstairs bit too but I didn't go up.

Edited by Scanchez

• 3 months later...

Amazed to hear, a few weeks after the event, that my old local The Clarendon has closed down.  :(

Nice people running a decent pub that must have had a decent turnover as it got packed at times. It had a big catchment area with little direct competition (poncy bars nearby but not traditional pubs).

I gather that the problem was high overheads (rent & business rates) and, allegedly, the owners turning the financial screw. No news of it opening under new management as far as I'm aware - maybe the owners want to sell it off or profit from converting it into rental flats or something, though I'm not sure the latter would be viable. Anyone have any inside info? :dunno:

I hadn't been in there for more than a year as it was just round the corner from my ex and too closely associated with my "old life". Had been in less frequently even before that, due to quitting the booze. Even so, sad news.

Unless there are specific circumstances then, if places like that are going to close down, then an awful lot of pubs are going to close.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Amazed to hear, a few weeks after the event, that my old local The Clarendon has closed down.  :(

Nice people running a decent pub that must have had a decent turnover as it got packed at times. It had a big catchment area with little direct competition (poncy bars nearby but not traditional pubs).

I gather that the problem was high overheads (rent & business rates) and, allegedly, the owners turning the financial screw. No news of it opening under new management as far as I'm aware - maybe the owners want to sell it off or profit from converting it into rental flats or something, though I'm not sure the latter would be viable. Anyone have any inside info? :dunno:

I hadn't been in there for more than a year as it was just round the corner from my ex and too closely associated with my "old life". Had been in less frequently even before that, due to quitting the booze. Even so, sad news.

Unless there are specific circumstances then, if places like that are going to close down, then an awful lot of pubs are going to close.

That's sad news.  Like hearing an old friend has died.

I used to live on Springfield Road & would spend a lot of time in there.  Even when I moved away from the area, I still considered it my 'local' & would be in there most Saturdays.

Like you, I haven't been in for about a year. It was it's traditional style, friendly staff & colourful characters that was the main draw.  Clarendon Park can be up it's own arse sometimes, but I always felt completely at home in The Clarendon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

That's sad news.  Like hearing an old friend has died.

Like you, I haven't been in for about a year. It was it's traditional style, friendly staff & colourful characters that was the main draw.  Clarendon Park can be up it's own arse sometimes, but I always felt completely at home in The Clarendon.

Agree with all of that.

I'm not keen on any of the places on Queens Road. I'm not in pubs much now, anyway, after quitting the booze. Keep meaning to frequent The Donkey occasionally but have only been in a couple of times in the past year.

Astonishing that The Donkey has outlasted The Clarendon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Agree with all of that.

I'm not keen on any of the places on Queens Road. I'm not in pubs much now, anyway, after quitting the booze. Keep meaning to frequent The Donkey occasionally but have only been in a couple of times in the past year.

Astonishing that The Donkey has outlasted The Clarendon.

It will be sad to see it turned into flats, but without actually knowing anything, that seems to be the most likely outcome.  Even if it was to re-open as a pub, it will probably get a refurb more in line with the rest of Queens Road.  Whatever happens, I think it's the end of The Clarendon I remember.

I'm quite worried about my mate.  I think he's going to be genuinely devastated.  I better give him a ring 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

It will be sad to see it turned into flats, but without actually knowing anything, that seems to be the most likely outcome.  Even if it was to re-open as a pub, it will probably get a refurb more in line with the rest of Queens Road.  Whatever happens, I think it's the end of The Clarendon I remember.

I'm quite worried about my mate.  I think he's going to be genuinely devastated.  I better give him a ring 

Yes, I can think of a few people whose lives largely revolved around the place. I also hope the landlady and staff have something decent to move on to.

27 minutes ago, Stadt said:

@The soup nazi you know anymore about why it's closed?

Someone fairly reliable just told me that the owners jacked up the rent based on turnover in recent years, which had gone up sharply due to LCFC title win, England World Cup run etc.

But that turnover/rent was unsustainable given the economic climate and given that football events like that don't happen every year!

Of course, the owners may have had ulterior motives - or those terms (rent based on recent turnover) may have been written into a contract.

Pretty dense if the owners have been inflexible over a couple of years' exceptional turnover without having some other plan, frankly.

All speculation, though. Very sad, even though I wasn't planning to return (purely for personal reasons).

• Like 1

Current gossip is that:

1) Enterprise Inns was the landlord, who are more a property type company. They want set returns on capital. Also it would almost certainly be a tied house, which means you have to buy everything off EI at the price they set.

2) The increased rent, plus cost of SKY, / BT which I believe was in the region of £15000 per year, based on the rateable value, plus cost of the booze and then general overheads, meant the place had been losing money for at least two years. 

3) The quality of the real ales had dropped and therefore footfall.

I live 150 yards away and was in there most weeks and you could tell the place was unfortunately going down hill, although the landlady and staff did their best. It was packed in 2015/16, obviously, but a recent game featuring Spurs a couple of months ago only had maybe six punters in! 

Google EI to see what sort of company they are. It will take a brace person to take the place over. Sad it's gone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

@The soup nazi you know anymore about why it's closed?

Like most have said mate rent was crazy and and with it being empty most of the time it was no.surprise really.

Apparently Steamin Billy are really interested though. Hope that's true as we need another boozer round here as there's a cocktail bar and a Champagne bar coming to the area soon, oh joy!