Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

FA Cup 2018

So, 5th round draw tonight and the big two left in at the final 16 stage are Manchester United and Chelsea... Is it me or is this a real possibility for us this year - I can't remember so few big teams being left in at this juncture?

The draw ball numbers

1. West Bromwich Albion (Premier League)

2. Leicester City (Premier League)

3. Huddersfield Town (Premier League)/Birmingham City (Championship)

4. Notts County (League Two)/Swansea City (Premier League)

5. Manchester United (Premier League)

6. Sheffield Wednesday (Championship)

7. Cardiff City (Championship)/Manchester City (Premier League)

8. Coventry City (League Two)

9. Millwall (Championship)/Rochdale (League One)

10. Southampton (Premier League)

11. Brighton & Hove Albion (Premier League)

12. Wigan Athletic (League One)

13. Hull City (Championship)

14. Newport County (League Two)/Tottenham (Premier League)

15. Chelsea (Premier League)/Newcastle United (Premier League) 

16. Sheffield United (Championship)

Edit: I may have overlooked Man City and Spurs but they're not big teams right?

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

I have to say that this weekend was the first time since that epic quarter final loss to Wycombe in the MON era that I got a case of FA Cup fever! We have a great squad, playing well and are basically safe in the league already. We have an outside chance for sure!

You'd put the 4 teams in the league that are above us as clearer favourites, but since Puel has come in we look like we can actually compete against those teams. We beat Spurs, should have beaten Chelsea, drew with Man United and though Man City are easily the best team we've played this sesason, I don't feel like we looked hopeless against them. In the league match, Maguire hit the post for 1-1 and then Kevin De Bryune hit a worldy for game over. If we get home draws against those teams, or only play them in the Semi's of the Final, we would stand a chance. Also these teams could well be involved in the later stages of the Champions League and might have injuries or not be as fresh, whereas with our squad and league position we should probably be in a better place.

Looking forward to the draw tonight!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

If we're going to win it then we'll still probably have to beat two of the big four left to do it. No real FA Cup fever for me as in years gone by I would have been happy to have a good run but now it's win it or nothing. It probably highlights the level the club is at now.

If we avoid the big four and don't get another PL team away that's a good draw. So we have a 58% chance of getting a favourable draw by those metrics.

Just now, ttfn said:

We’ve had 8 successive away draws. 

Time for a home one.

Definitely up for a home tie.

We will have to see what the draw gods have for us, but I am very hopeful for a good run here. Our main competitors have more to balance in terms of competing for Champions League places and obviously the current European competition. 

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

That's a great question - I'd like to say 3 x 16/1 shots but have a feeling a mathematical gambling type will correct me very quickly indeed! lol 

I think you also have to add in the "FA want the top clubs to not play each other until the quarter finals" bit into the equation.

I'm definitely in the camp of wanting lower league teams for as long as possible. 

If we did draw one of the bigger 4, at least as we found last year, the Champions League is a significant distraction over the next two FA cup rounds, so there is an argument in terms of winning the thing it would be good to take them on in the next two rounds. 

• Like 1