Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Everton 2-1 A Post Match Thread

Key notes off memory.

Chilwell not good enough to be premier league left back atm.

James, Ndidi absolutely lacks any sort of creativity especially without Mahrez on the pitch.

Okazaki is poor every time he starts but always looks good when coming on.

Gray is not an effective attacking player.

Are iborra and silva not rated? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Watford and now Everton on terrible runs yet turn us over. Are we being prepared properly mentally for these games?  I’d also throw fleetwood away in although a completely new team didn’t help there. 

You're undersetimating the Mahrez Circus and his absence on the pitch. It was clear that, except for a miracle, we'd lose this game.

6 minutes ago, les-tah said:

Key notes off memory.

James, Ndidi absolutely lacks any sort of creativity especially without Mahrez on the pitch.

All legit concerns

I think Puel reverted to our standard 442 defensive tactics, maybe having little faith in us without Mahrez

Hopefully will see a more positive team at the weekend.

41 minutes ago, F1_AN said:

Watford and now Everton on terrible runs yet turn us over. Are we being prepared properly mentally for these games?  I’d also throw fleetwood away in although a completely new team didn’t help there. 

Same old Leicester  on another day though those chances that hit the woodwork go in so onward &upwards 3 points Saturday ??

At least Puel now has an excuse to drop Albrighton and James for the next game and bring in the creative Silva and ball-keeping, controlling influence of Iborra.

Gray was quiet and ineffectual but had to feed of scraps, yes he could've done more but there was no creativity from behind.

Chilwell is still learning and will come good.

6 hours ago, KJT said:

Without Theo Walcott Everton wouldn't have scored a goal, he was brilliant last night good all round player, can't understand why Arsenal sold him, great signing for Everton at  only £20m

Without Ben Chilwell Everton wouldn't have scored a goal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, les-tah said:

Key notes off memory.

Other key notes off memory.

Without Mahrez we are a good Championship side. Yes, it's that bad

We really did shoot ourselves in the foot last night. Everton weren't any good, it was on us being poor and giving goals away. Chilwell I'm not convinced will ever make it at this level as a left back and Gray will never hit Riyad's level. He's got something about him, sure, but he hasn't got anything like the creativity and there's no way he can be the replacement yet.

Midfield was poor. Okazaki I completely forgot even played. Amartey was OK bar that brain fart that nearly gifted Niasse a goal. Maguire had a poor game. Dragovic was OK.

Just a collectively shocking performance and we have these too frequently. We've improved under Puel but we've turned in some shockers under him as well and this was another.

We were fine for 20-25 minutes but what happened after our first was just criminal. It was unbelievable that league table says those two are the 9th and 7th best teams in England.

Shocking performance.

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Really poor from what I saw, the last 10 minutes was terrible. Got easily wound up by the time wasting in what was a angry performance all round. 

Big Sam killed us with the double sub that took 5 minutes. 

Should have had another penalty when Sigurdsson was on his knees holding someone, before iheanacho hit the post. 

Absolutely laughable refereeing. It's stuff like that that annoys me more than wrongly given offsides. It's absolutely blatant and yet they just stand there and watch it happen.

7 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We really did shoot ourselves in the foot last night. Everton weren't any good, it was on us being poor and giving goals away. Chilwell I'm not convinced will ever make it at this level as a left back and Gray will never hit Riyad's level. He's got something about him, sure, but he hasn't got anything like the creativity and there's no way he can be the replacement yet.

Midfield was poor. Okazaki I completely forgot even played. Amartey was OK bar that brain fart that nearly gifted Niasse a goal. Maguire had a poor game. Dragovic was OK.

Just a collectively shocking performance and we have these too frequently. We've improved under Puel but we've turned in some shockers under him as well and this was another.

We were fine for 20-25 minutes but what happened after our first was just criminal. It was unbelievable that league table says those two are the 9th and 7th best teams in England.

Shocking performance.

I agree with most of this but I'd certainly take what happened the 24 hours before into account. The last ten minutes were telling. The most baffling football I've ever seen in the PL. The players were like drunk. I think even I could have had a go a that moment of the game.

Raging because they were as poor as Watford if not more. With Mahrez and a settled team we'd have won.

6 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

I agree with most of this but I'd certainly take what happened the 24 hours before into account. The last ten minutes were telling. The most baffling football I've ever seen in the PL. The players were like drunk. I think even I could have had a go a that moment of the game.

Raging because they were as poor as Watford if not more. With Mahrez and a settled team we'd have won.

I'm convinced people overlook things because it's a decent sized club. Everton did not play well yesterday. Walcott took his chances well but they weren't good at all. They haven't won in a long time, fans are very unhappy with the state of their team at the minute. Palace I was shocked by the score and how resoundingly they beat us, but they did play well that day. Yesterday was just Watford all over again.

I do agree that the Mahrez scenario won't have done us any favours. We seemed to completely lose our heads when we went behind. It's a shame as before that I thought we'd been comfortably the better side.

The Fuchs throw summed up the entire performance from us.

It is such a bad league this year. The bottom half (and more) is truly terrible, the worst I can remember.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's spot on as well. I swear those who organise the fixture list have about six brain cells between them.

Not just that, but why even have this mid-season transfer window at all? Either allow transfers all the time or designate ONE window. 

This mid-season window crap just disrupts teams and gives leading clubs another edge.

It's commonly accepted that football is a multibillion business now, so why is there still a system in place that doesn't punish poor planning?

15 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Shocking performance.

3 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

As poor as it was (and I agree that the viewing was painful), it's clear that the conditions were horrendous. Both sets of players made rudimentary mistakes, mistimed challenges and all around odd decision-making which they wouldn't normally make. 

It's pretty unfair to judge both teams on that performance alone. The second half conditions were nigh on impossible for any football of quality to be played.

13 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Looking at the MOTD highlights it looks like we were a bit unluckier than people have been making out: 1st goal was a dumb error, we hit the woodwork 3 times and it looked to me like Maguire should have had a free kick before the ref gave them the one that led to the 2nd goal.

Did they show Niasse missing two sitters?

2 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm convinced people overlook things because it's a decent sized club. Everton did not play well yesterday. Walcott took his chances well but they weren't good at all. They haven't won in a long time, fans are very unhappy with the state of their team at the minute. Palace I was shocked by the score and how resoundingly they beat us, but they did play well that day. Yesterday was just Watford all over again.

I do agree that the Mahrez scenario won't have done us any favours. We seemed to completely lose our heads when we went behind. It's a shame as before that I thought we'd been comfortably the better side.

The Fuchs throw summed up the entire performance from us.

It is such a bad league this year. The bottom half (and more) is truly terrible, the worst I can remember.

It was a house of cards waiting for the first wind blow to crumble.

I'm amazed at how bad Everton were, I dare say they were worse than when we beat them at home, but to be honest I'm even more amazed we still didn't get trashed by them last night. The pen was a gift and brought us back into a game which was lost after the first five minutes.

It also puts things in perspective. That's our first PL game without Mahrez and it's scary to see how heavily we rely on him. Diabate certainly has something in him but he needs a bit of support especially from the midfield and he's no playmaker. We're also far, far away from even thinking about regularly challenging the top 6.

14 minutes ago, shen said:

Not just that, but why even have this mid-season transfer window at all? Either allow transfers all the time or designate ONE window

This mid-season window crap just disrupts teams and gives leading clubs another edge.

It's commonly accepted that football is a multibillion business now, so why is there still a system in place that doesn't punish poor planning?

As poor as it was (and I agree that the viewing was painful), it's clear that the conditions were horrendous. Both sets of players made rudimentary mistakes, mistimed challenges and all around odd decision-making which they wouldn't normally make. 

It's pretty unfair to judge both teams on that performance alone. The second half conditions were nigh on impossible for any football of quality to be played.

Or just don't program matches on the last day of a transfer window? January is still necessary, you could have a key player badly injured and you'd need to replace him :whistle:

As far as I know Everton didn't have any stress during this window. I'm not judging the team as I never really expected to win the game just wished we could do without another Mahrez drama.

7 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Or just don't program matches on the last day of a transfer window? January is still necessary, you could have a key player badly injured and you'd need to replace him :whistle:

As far as I know Everton didn't have any stress during this window. I'm not judging the team as I never really expected to win the game just wished we could do without another Mahrez drama.

Your first point is moot if no or only one window exists. Not sure why January is 'necessary'. An injury would be best solved if all-year transfers were allowed. 

Having a mid-season window is potentially disruptive and will reward short-sighted planning.

Everton were doing incoming dealings and rumours were ongoing re Klaassen, Schneiderlin et al with Ramirez, Besic and Lookman all leaving on deadline day, Not exactly a quiet or stress-free day for them either, even if none of them were key players.

I agree the January window should go. It's an absolute joke and totally detrimental to the sport as a whole. Nobody benefits bar those who serve to ruin the game. Get rid of it immediately. The window should open a couple of weeks after the season ends and shut the day before. Maybe one emergency loan during the season (if there's an actual problem in the squad, not that a team can't sign Mbappe this season due to FFP so can just loan him in for the year then pay it next year).

I have made the same comment repeatedly every time we have a bad result. We have a decent squad who can play very well but we throw away too many points making mistakes through bad decision making. I give countless occasions where the goals we give away or fail to make the most of come from bad decision making. I thought Puel had clamped down on that but clearly not 

At first I thought may be the club needs to start sign more intelligent players but the reality is that at second tier of the transfer food chain, you can only get players who are developing. Last night's team was quite inexperienced at the PL level and you could tell.