Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Slimani to Newcastle on loan

9 hours ago, Matt said:

:nigel:

Cracking little loan signing you've got there Newcastle...I can't be the only one who doesn't understand them signing him, surely?

A few Newcastle fan's reactions on Twitter lol - http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/02/23/rm-send-him-back-newcastle-fans-express-disappointment-over-slim/

I mean i'm glad he's off our hands, although think we'll be lumbered with him again in the summer - I can't see how Newcastle can sign a player based on not playing many games (And it won't be many now).

We'll see, i'm sure when he's up and running he'll hit the ground running and impress up there. :unsure:

Yes, because it is his fault that he got injured...

4 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Yes, because it is his fault that he got injured...

You make it sound like i've said it is his fault...

All I have said is I can't be the only one who doesn't understand them signing him - He was injured when they signed him, I don't get it - Especially given his injury record and the 'niggles' he's had whilst with us.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

All I have said is I can't be the only one who doesn't understand them signing him - He was injured when they signed him, I don't get it - Especially given his injury record and the 'niggles' he's had whilst with us.

From what I've read he could have played, but Benitez didn't want to risk him. And now he had a setback, still I agree it was stupid to sign him but they were desperate.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

He was injured most of last season, apart from CL games. 

• 1 month later...

Gayle must return after shocking Slimani showing

by Ben Goodwin  BGinge8share

24/4/2018 | 05:35pm

Islam Slimani finally got his chance to impress for Newcastle on Monday night, but the stats suggest he did just the opposite.

It was a strange January transfer window for Newcastle. On one hand, the major boost they were hoping for didn’t arrive, as the spending was restricted to loans rather than permanent deals.

Despite the underwhelming feeling around the end of the window though, Kenedy and Martin Dubravka have both proved to be huge successes since their moves, and could even earn themselves a permanent future on Tyneside.

The one move that really seemed to make zero sense was the striker swap. Aleksandar Mitrovic moved to Fulham, and the Magpies replaced the now red-hot Serbian with Leicester City’s Islam Slimani.

Slimani finally got his first start for the club in the 1-0 defeat to Everton on Monday, and things went just about as badly as they possibly could have for the 56-cap Algerian.

Slimani touched the ball just 29 times, and didn’t win a single aerial duel, which is one of the main things he was expected to do.

The 29 year-old failed to register a single shot, and a 53% passing accuracy just about sums up his performance.

Islam-Slimanis-stats-vs-Everton.png

To be fair to Slimani, he could have had a golden chance to find his first Newcastle goal if Ayoze Perez had laid on a simple pass in the first half. But nonetheless, he can’t possibly keep his place over Dwight Gayle after Monday’s showing.

I watched the game last night and Slimani was totally isolated up on his own. We know he’s not very good at winning long balls against defenders but put crosses in the box and there’s not many better at attacking them. It also didn’t help that he was up there on his own which made it easier for the centre half’s. 

Benitez wasn’t very adventurous last night, 1 nil down with 25 minutes left and he takes a striker off for a striker and still leaves one up front. 

14 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I watched the game last night and Slimani was totally isolated up on his own. We know he’s not very good at winning long balls against defenders but put crosses in the box and there’s not many better at attacking them. It also didn’t help that he was up there on his own which made it easier for the centre half’s. 

Benitez wasn’t very adventurous last night, 1 nil down with 25 minutes left and he takes a striker off for a striker and still leaves one up front. 

One of those players that's good in a good team. No coincidence he's got most of his goals in the cups vs small sides.

13 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

Back with us unfortunately once this loan spell ends. They won’t be signing him. 

See to it that he gets a proper pre-season under his belt, assess his situation in the summer, then decide whether it's worth keeping him or sending him out on loan again or finding a suitable buyer's club.

14 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Spoke with a Newcastle lad today.....send him back!

Yeah after three games played, a bad game where he was completely isolated and two where he was instrumental in the winning goals.

As fickle as some here.

Edited by ZeGuy
  • Like 1