Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Formula 1 2018

23 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Same F1 then - despite more speed the grid is err exactly the same. 

We we need a driver shake up methinks, somebody swap Bottas for Verstappen and there might be a race worth watching!

We need an engine development rule change else it's going to be another year of mercedes domination. Half a second clear of everyone else is an awful lot of time to make up over 60 laps, and it still comes down to renault and ferrari not being able to develop new engines since 2014 and the fact mercedes were developing their power unit from 2011 in readiness for the V6 era.

• Like 1

Sadly the signs have been there since the second week of testing that Mercedes are back in control this year. Can't take anything away from Lewis, but it is boring seeing Mercedes turn the dial to 11 in Q3 and wipe everyone away. 3 tenths quicker in sector 1 is just ridiculous. Hopefully Ferrari can take the fight to Lewis in a 2v1 battle.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

We need an engine development rule change else it's going to be another year of mercedes domination. Half a second clear of everyone else is an awful lot of time to make up over 60 laps, and it still comes down to renault and ferrari not being able to develop new engines since 2014 and the fact mercedes were developing their power unit from 2011 in readiness for the V6 era.

I doubt they will be half a second a lap quicker in the race. I get what you’re saying, but last season was more down to Ferrari’s unreliability than it was Mercedes dominance. Seb stormed ahead in the first third of the season. It was down to his & the teams misgivings that they dropped off the pace, whilst Lewis was consistent and had a great & more importantly reliable car under him, unlike the previous season. 

Nobody truly knows what any teams real race pace is yet. 

I think it’ll be closer than you think this year. Writing off the whole season after one qualifying session is abit harsh. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, stix said:

I doubt they will be half a second a lap quicker in the race. I get what you’re saying, but last season was more down to Ferrari’s unreliability than it was Mercedes dominance. Seb stormed ahead in the first third of the season. It was down to his & the teams misgivings that they dropped off the pace, whilst Lewis was consistent and had a great & more importantly reliable car under him, unlike the previous season. 

Nobody truly knows what any teams real race pace is yet. 

I think it’ll be closer than you think this year. Writing off the whole season after one qualifying session is abit harsh. 

It will be closer, but i don't think that's down to anything other than mercedes throttling back.

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Make their engine last longer into the season as the teams have only 3 engine changes this year before they get a penalty.

You can almost guarantee every car will take at least 1 extra engine this year. 3 power units is simply not enough. 

Pretty good race that, nice to see Mercedes having to play catch up.

Thought Verstappen was pretty poor today, but clearly not an easy track to overtake on, the extra DRS zone didn't seem to help that much apart from 1 Ricciardo overtake.

Not sure how Haas can make the same mistake twice within a few laps, drivers must be fuming, and they needed to make the most of their good position now as I can't help but think Mclaren and Renault will develop quickly and eventually be faster than them later on in the season.

Ferraris season to lose after seeing that.  

Not only do they have Ferrari International Aid in their corner, they also possess the wild card.  Haas will throw races left, right and centre in their favour.

I'm all for making it more balanced in terms of competitiveness but today's result was manufactured.

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Ferraris season to lose after seeing that.  

Not only do they have Ferrari International Aid in their corner, they also possess the wild card.  Haas will throw races left, right and centre in their favour.

I'm all for making it more balanced in terms of competitiveness but today's result was manufactured.

I'm glad somebody has said this before me lol Deep down I know the chances of this being the case are slim, however there are too many coincidences in here to write it off in a flash.

The tyre fitting incident is the sort of thing you only see once or twice a season. To happen twice on two laps.. to the same team?

Vettel staying out as long as he did was odd. Raikkonen pitted and came out about 2/3 seconds ahead of the traffic behind.. the same sort of gap Vettel had to Raikkonen. Two or three laps longer should have been enough to pull out enough of a gap? Was about 8 laps in the end wasn't it?

A VSC followed by a full SC? Whats that all about? I don't know officially why this happened but i'd guess the car was eventually deemed to be in too difficult a place to remove under just a VSC? Surely they have all this shit mapped out before the weekend begins? e.g a car stops at this spot here, the recovery vehicle located here will get it. Or the car will be moved into this open bit in the wall etc.

The worst bit about this is the rule though end of. "The aim of the VSC is to neutralise the race, nobody gains time" This has been around for years I know but it goes without saying this is the biggest flaw in the rule witnessed to date. Easy solution is either close the pitlane while the VSC is out, or anybody who decides to pit must serve a 10s stop go "penalty". To say Vettel has been gifted that win today is an absolute understatement. I saw some clown say that this sort of incident is a good thing as it opens up strategies a bit more lol  Yes and it also opens up the possibility of Singapore 2008 Renault again. This is Ferrari and as much as some people like to believe sport is clean, at times it really is not. Not just F1 but anything as seen with Cricket yesterday. I still maintain Rosberg cheated at Monaco unless he genuinely forgot how to hold a steering wheel.

On the brightside the gap between Merc and Ferrari inparticular seemed greater than it did last season. Shame that Raikkonen already has a 10 point deficit to the guy he was faster than all weekend. With only 20 races left Ferrari will have no choice but to throw all their weight behind Vettel now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I'm glad somebody has said this before me lol Deep down I know the chances of this being the case are slim, however there are too many coincidences in here to write it off in a flash.

The tyre fitting incident is the sort of thing you only see once or twice a season. To happen twice on two laps.. to the same team?

Vettel staying out as long as he did was odd. Raikkonen pitted and came out about 2/3 seconds ahead of the traffic behind.. the same sort of gap Vettel had to Raikkonen. Two or three laps longer should have been enough to pull out enough of a gap? Was about 8 laps in the end wasn't it?

A VSC followed by a full SC? Whats that all about? I don't know officially why this happened but i'd guess the car was eventually deemed to be in too difficult a place to remove under just a VSC? Surely they have all this shit mapped out before the weekend begins? e.g a car stops at this spot here, the recovery vehicle located here will get it. Or the car will be moved into this open bit in the wall etc.

The worst bit about this is the rule though end of. "The aim of the VSC is to neutralise the race, nobody gains time" This has been around for years I know but it goes without saying this is the biggest flaw in the rule witnessed to date. Easy solution is either close the pitlane while the VSC is out, or anybody who decides to pit must serve a 10s stop go "penalty". To say Vettel has been gifted that win today is an absolute understatement. I saw some clown say that this sort of incident is a good thing as it opens up strategies a bit more lol  Yes and it also opens up the possibility of Singapore 2008 Renault again. This is Ferrari and as much as some people like to believe sport is clean, at times it really is not. Not just F1 but anything as seen with Cricket yesterday. I still maintain Rosberg cheated at Monaco unless he genuinely forgot how to hold a steering wheel.

On the brightside the gap between Merc and Ferrari inparticular seemed greater than it did last season. Shame that Raikkonen already has a 10 point deficit to the guy he was faster than all weekend. With only 20 races left Ferrari will have no choice but to throw all their weight behind Vettel now.

I'll give the benifits of the doubt,for this Race,but it does leave a Bad Taste in the mouth...

I have No bias,other than the Sport itself.

I follow F1,I Support all drivers and Teams. I'll always be Happy for the Driver of the day,

and Eventual champion.

Poor backroom Team Tracking,cost Hamilton,plus that niggling doubt in those coincidences!

Still..Vettel had to be around,to Take that advantage,so Well done to him.

If anyone seriously believes that this was a stitch up I despair. Let's not forget that Hamilton benefited from the VSC in Spain last year. 

Happy with the result but the Mercedes pace is frightening. 

• Like 1

The fact that Hamilton had to back off at the end really proves that the 3 power unit rule is stupid. That isn’t racing. This is the pinnacle of world motorsport, teams shouldn’t have to be restricted like that at the FIRST RACE of the season. 

Unbelievably unlucky for Haas. Massive cock up by their pit crew. 

Great start for Alonso and McLaren, pretty much matching the other Renault engines for race pace, things are looking up for them. 

I think one positive from todays race is, the cars in the middle of the field look very similar pace wise, which is good for racing and for the spectators. Ricciardos RedBull was matching Kimis Ferrari which is good to see. 

It’s sadly no different from last year or the year before. Record the race, watch the start fast forward the rest pausing only to see the five overtakes in 70 laps and if any alternative pit stop stragegies occur...

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Amin said:

If anyone seriously believes that this was a stitch up I despair. Let's not forget that Hamilton benefited from the VSC in Spain last year. 

Happy with the result but the Mercedes pace is frightening. 

THIS.

Found it crazy how Crofty was in despair with being able to get a net gain under the VSC and wanted a rule change, but when it is in Hamilton's favour he turns a blind eye to it. 

Yeah its a shame that Vettel won the race because of it, as he didn't really deserve the win, but its swings and roundabouts over the course of the season.

There is benefiting in the way of a gap being shortened and then there is benefiting in the way of being handed the winners trophy on a track where you can't overtake in a race you have been well off the pace. Both shouldn't happen, but don't compare the two as though the consequences were the same.