Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League: Winter break under discussion before new TV deal

I’ll be annoyed if we have a winter break.

I love football but I feel like my voice is getting heard less and less and it’s going down a route I’m not comfortable with. I’d find it hard to turn my back on it but it’s certainly making me ask questions about losing interest.

How about we don’t have a winter break but fuck all the stupid, pointless international friendlies that the majority of people don’t give a fuck about - that includes the players.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

Just now, Matt said:

I love football but I feel like my voice is getting heard less and less and it’s goinf down a route I’m not comfortable with. I’d find it hard to turn my back on it but it’s certainly making me ask question about losing interest.

How about we don’t have a winter break but fuck all the stupid, pointless international friendlies that the majority of people don’t give a fuck about - that includes the players.

The international friendlies thing always makes me laugh. I think it would be in our interest to send a team to summer tournaments who have played together more than 5 or 6 times. Especially when those 6 games were against the likes of Lithuania.

Easiest thing in this country would be to bin off the League Cup imo. And if thats not enough then put 3 or 4 the league games in the now vacant league cup slots and have a three week break in early January.

if its just a couple of weeks break then it would barely benefit the players (who would probably still train/play friendlies anyway)

maybe give clubs more time to sack the manager and find/settle in a replacement, that goes for player transfers too.

i feel though anything longer than 2 weeks is just shítting on fans, further distancing them from "the peoples" game.

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Imagine thinking that this isn't so that the big clubs can play more friendlies abroad against each other. That's the sole purpose of this. Don't be fooled by the national team nonsense - as much as I do think this years schedule was OTT and needed trimming down.

If there is a Break,then there shouldn't be any Clubs,allowed to go Off

playing in Tournament,,or any Games. Hypocrisy is not something we Want

to see encourgaged...Naivity is PLs middle name!!

Any Clubs doing so should be found heavily,Proceeds going to injured and Retired

Players foundations.fines should equal the same amount,has Clubs, last paid out

Transfer fee.

29 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

If there is a Break,then there shouldn't be any Clubs,allowed to go Off

playing in Tournament,,or any Games. Hypocrisy is not something we Want

to see encourgaged...Naivity is PLs middle name!!

Any Clubs doing so should be found heavily,Proceeds going to injured and Retired

Players foundations.fines should equal the same amount,has Clubs, last paid out

Transfer fee.

"Chelsea make shock deadline day swoop as Barry Proctor joins from Fleet Town for £500." lol  

• Haha 1

I think the best thing to do would be to thin the festive period out, rather than have a break.

Theres absolutely no need for the amount of games played over the festive period in a short space of time.

Two games could easily be moved to midweek slots when players are fresher, as i previously explained in the premier league thread

games could also be spaced out much more fairly during the festive period too, ensuring there are an equal number of days between games, rather than playing for the sake of it because its boxing day or new years day and no other reason than name only. if that means only 48 hours between games from saturday to boxing day or new years day, thats silly

Who wants a break?  The fans just want the momentum of the leagues.  The fixture pile up is a hump int he road that even the top clubs have to manage (man city did well this Christmas and fair play to them).  I don't wants a break. having a 38 game season is tough... oh let's let the marathon runners have a good sit down at 13 miles.....

I don't want to see the big clubs playing friendlies etc. Not interested.  IT will erode the drama and soap opera of the league... they are crazy to get us all hooked and then have a few weeks off.  Sky will lose views if they do this.

England.... the in season games are a joke - the clubs don't want the starts to play and spending more time with southgate will make things worse.  when I was a kid in 60s player player fore their clubs on Saturday.. played for England on the wednesday and then their clubs the following Saturday

They don't make cardboard like they used to

5 minutes ago, Donut said:

I think the best thing to do would be to thin the festive period out, rather than have a break.

Theres absolutely no need for the amount of games played over the festive period in a short space of time.

Two games could easily be moved to midweek slots when players are fresher, as i previously explained in the premier league thread

games could also be spaced out much more fairly during the festive period too, ensuring there are an equal number of days between games, rather than playing for the sake of it because its boxing day or new years day and no other reason than name only. if that means only 48 hours between games from saturday to boxing day or new years day, thats silly

I love the festive pile up at Christmas - it stretches even the best clubs.  

get rid of the international breaks I say!

• Like 1

Fans are generally conservative minded and don't like change but I think this would be good.

On the other hand most fans hate international breaks in the autumn.  

Fill in in a couple of these weekends and take two weeks off at the start of Jan when it's often freezing. Many older people aren't keen in watching football in freezing temperatures anyway.

Also, I'd scrap all cup replays to make the games more exciting and make league cup semis a one match affair on neutral territory. 

Finally, I know football on Boxing Day is traditional but it's not very family friendly. Football on Christmas Day was a tradition until the 1950s and we wouldn't want that back. Why not let players and fans be with their families? We can still have the same number of games so no one misses out.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I love football but I feel like my voice is getting heard less and less and it’s going down a route I’m not comfortable with. I’d find it hard to turn my back on it but it’s certainly making me ask questions about losing interest.

only time we have to play against quality international opponents though in fairness.

my idea is simple. Move 1 premier league game to midweek of game week one, and move one to gameweek 38 midweek.

Two aditional mid week games at times when players should be fresh, in good weather, light nights, then keep boxing day and new years day which people like.

Surely everyones a winner?

What a load of shite. England didn’t lose to Iceland because they didn’t have a winter break, they lost because they are shite. Most of the Welsh players play in England with no winter break and they still made a semi final even though they’re also shite. Christmas fixture pile up is great for the spectator and that afterall is who football is for. If Pep, Jose or Jurgen are unhappy then quite frankly why don’t they just **** off somewhere else.

I dont think there will be a winter break, but even if there is (which im personally not a fan of), im surprised that the concept of a winter break hasnt been received more positively.

I know other leagues are logistically different, but there dont appear any obvious problems in Holland, Germany, i believe Spain has a small rest etc.

Even if the break does come in, we can manage 2 weeks without watching a game SURELY? im not in favour, but its not a disaster from a fan perspective.

Edited by Donut

14 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

I'd be gutted if this happens, I think it's one of the things that makes the Premier League special and it is traditional in this country. Plus you cant beat going to a Boxing Day or New Years Day home game and getting on the beers before hand!

lollol did you not read the OP before replying lollol 

Its gaps I hate, I want a game every week of the season.  

If things are considered too congested then this is what I think should be priority for scrapping games in this order.

International friendlies - by far the most logical to scrap

European games

Second leg cup ties

Cup replays

League games/Cup ties - no compromise on these

Gaps lose momentum.

I think there should be never more than a 7 day gap between league games from start of season to end of season.

From august 17th to May 7th is 35 weeks so 35 games.  Meaning only 3 extra games would need to be scheduled in such a system.  One or two taken care of by the festive period schedule.

16 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Midweek games are terrible, why would you want more of those? People want to be able to have a drink and a day out.

Midweek games can be terrible in the midst of winter but early on in the season when the days are longer and its warmer .... well why not as someone mentioned there are fewer games at the start of the season them in the middle so spread them out and what better way to have a mid -weeker on a nice summer or early spring night 

I remember the 70s in the top division when teams had the chance to make am early statement of intent with 7 games in the first 21 days of the season - they had no problem with that in what was then a 42-game season. Three early-season midweek games eased the fixture pressure later on.

In 73/74, the season started on Aug 25 and teams played their 7th match on  Sep 15 (a span of 21 days).

There were 3 games Christmas/New Year (unlike 4 this season) but in those days there were 3 at Easter holiday also.

9 hours ago, sylofox said:

lollol did you not read the OP before replying lollol 

I did actually, the discussion has been going on for years and it has mostly been mentioned breaking when the other leagues do around Christmas. It seems that this time around January is being discussed but I guarantee we wont have heard the last of the congested festive period and I was just expressing my love for that particular period!

Soz mate!

• 3 weeks later...

It's happening then, and the Cup loses out once again. :rolleyes:

Don't see the logic at all. Surely this is just going to lead to a backlog of fixtures towards the end of the season, so managers will be grousing instead about how tired their players are if they've managed to advance in European/Cup competitions?

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/its-official-a-winter-break-is-coming-to-the-premier-league-165134

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I can’t find anything written but Talksport claiming a 2 week break in the middle of Feb from the season after next is to be announced.

Apparently it’ll mean a round of FA Cup fixtures being played mid midweek.

On the face of it I personally can’t see what a break is gonna solve, all it’ll mean is a build up of fixtures, we’re struggling to fit fixtures in as it is without a break.

Its not gonna happen but pointless international breaks need to stop, that’s be radical and free spaces up to spread games out, that is the only was a mid season break can be justified, otherwise I just don’t see the point.

My thoughts on it quoted from the premier league thread.