Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SpacedX

Opiate inspired tracks/Poignant songs About skag.

Many obligatory, some blatant, some less so ...

Hurt (NIИ) 

Waiting for the Man (Velvet Underground)

Cold Turkey (John Lennon)

Chinese Rocks (Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers)

Perfect Day (Lou Reed)

Mr Brownstone (Guns n' Roses)

H-Eyes (The Ruts)

Under the Bridge (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

The Needle and the Spoon (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Heroin (Velvet Underground)

Kings Crossing (Elliott Smith)

Junkhead (Alice in Chains)

Don't Bring Harry (The Stranglers)

Rocks Off (The Rolling Stones)

Lust for Life (Iggy Pop)

Fire and Rain (James Taylor)

Jane Says (Jane's Addiction)

Sister Morphine (The Rolling Stones)

Golden Brown (The Stranglers) 

The Needle and the Damage Done (Neil Young)

Beetlebum (Blur)

Tell Me the Story (Andy McCoy)

Cold Blue Steel & Sweet Fire (Joni Mitchell)

Turn Blue (Iggy Pop)

Open Up and Bleed (The Stooges)

Untitled #11 (John Frusciante)

God Smack (Alice in Chains)

Chelsea Hotel (Leonard Cohen)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

My choices were fairly predictable then. Looking at some of these lists it seems that the same obligatory tracks come up - although if you are familiar with the artists there are sometimes lesser known songs which are more harrowing. 

Got thinking about this because I was listening to Cereal Song by the Bicycle Thief featuring John Frusciante. Worth finding.

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Happiness is a warm gun -  Beatles

Contrary to popular belief, this song has nothing to do with drugs and Lennon always vehemently denied this association. 

Much of the material for the White album was written in India during the spring of 1968. This was later in the year and coincident with the start of his relationship with Yoko Ono. apparently the title was derived from the front page of a guns magazine lying around during a recording session. Despite the line "I need a fix", the song is a reference to his high sex drive and he was clean at the time. Lennon's brief experimentation with smack wasn't until the following year and is described in detail in Keith Richard's biography given that he introduced him to it. 

On 09/02/2018 at 09:59, TiffToff88 said:

Songs about skag? What the hell is skag?

i-dont-even-understand-the-question.jpg

So sorry glossed over this due to my speedball habit - terribly detrimental to my attention to detail. I came across your post whilst busy mainlining some tar this morning for breakfast.

Skag? Y'know...Big nurse, white lady, junk, chiva, dragon, sack. 

36 minutes ago, Line-X said:

So sorry glossed over this due to my speedball habit - terribly detrimental to my attention to detail. I came across your post whilst busy mainlining some tar this morning for breakfast.

Skag? Y'know...Big nurse, white lady, junk, chiva, dragon, sack. 

Yeah, looking at the songs on the lists in here I kinda figured it was drug related ?

Just showing my innocence I guess!

24 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Yeah, looking at the songs on the lists in here I kinda figured it was drug related ?

Just showing my innocence I guess!

Nothing whatsoever wrong with that. And 99% of these songs aren't glorifying this shit, in fact many are satirical.

In fairness to the poppy however, it has inspired some fine music - (reaches for Charlie Parker vinyl).

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I always thought part of the drug references in "White Rabbit" were rather vague, so some of it could be heroin.

"White Rabbit" is one of Grace Slick's earliest songs, written during either late 1965 or early 1966. It uses imagery found in the fantasy works of Lewis Carroll—1865's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its 1871 sequel Through the Looking-Glass—such as changing size after taking pills or drinking an unknown liquid.

Slick had stated the composition was intended to be a slap to parents who read their children such novels and then wondered why their children later used drugs.[8] Characters Slick referenced include Alice, the White Rabbit, the hookah-smoking caterpillar, the White Knight, the Red Queen, and the Dormouse.[9] Slick reportedly wrote the song after an acid trip.[10] For Slick, "White Rabbit" "is about following your curiosity. The White Rabbit is your curiosity".[11] For her and others in the 1960s, drugs were a part of mind expansion and social experimentation. With its enigmatic lyrics, "White Rabbit" became one of the first songs to sneak drug references past censors on the radio. Even Marty Balin, Slick's eventual rival in Jefferson Airplane, regarded the song as a "masterpiece". In interviews, Slick has related that Alice in Wonderland was often read to her as a child and remained a vivid memory well into her adulthood.[3]

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Slick mentioned that in addition to Alice in Wonderland, her other inspiration for the song was "the bolero used by Miles Davis and Gil Evans on their 1960 album Sketches of Spain."[12] The song is essentially one long crescendo similar to that of Ravel's famous "Boléro". The music combined with the song's lyrics strongly suggests the sensory distortions experienced with hallucinogens, and the song was later used in pop culture to imply or accompany just such a state.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rabbit_(song)#Lyrics_and_composition