Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Pyeongchang 2018 - Winter Olympics

40 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I feared she'd fall, I said earlier just stay on your feet and she'll win gold.  Almost sensed this was going to happen.  She'll have other chances.

Course, it helps if another skater gives you a helping hand to hit the deck and then doesn't get pinged for it.

5 hours ago, spacemunky said:

One curling gold!

Two to go!

What cracks me up is the way all the foreign curlers communicate partly in their native tongues and partly in English -- but English with hoser-grade Canadian accents.

In what other endeavor than curling is that the case?

Edited by KingsX
  • Haha 1

Miho got her medal in the speed skating, but she was so close to gold, so there's mixed feelings here. 

miho_medal.jpg

On the subject of speed skating, this is the best thing I've read so far about the games:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/feb/13/debunkin-g-myths-dutch-winter-olympics-speed-skating-success

If Miho was close to Japan's first gold of the games, Ayumu Hirano was even closer this morning in the half pipe. Only a legend stopped him. We* might finally get one this evening with Kodaira in the speed skating 1,000 metres. Miho goes in that too, and will hoping she can get on the podium again.

*Bloody hell, looks like I'm claiming honorary Japanese citizenship.

Watching a replay of the snowboarding, which i hasn't seen the results of. The commentary building the tension as Shaun White goes for his last run. And just as he finishes it and I'm waiting for the score to see if he won, the BBC decide just at that moment to show it on the news ticker at the bottom of the screen, even down to the detail of the score he got. :appl:Well done bbc, great timing.

58 minutes ago, Jordan said:

You could have gotten better odds on Leicester City winning the league in 2016 than on Rachel Homan being 0-3 after draw 4 :o

Two matches in extra ends and the other one was close too.

Shocked though for the team to be 0-3.

Thankfully though, our men's team(Koe) is off to a flying start at 4-0.

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

Elise Christie stretchered off. Seems to get no luck

I'm no speed skating expert, so I don't know, but is bad luck, or is it just her style. She seems to take risks, which will come off at times but other times you fail. Today she seemed, in an attempt to get ahead, squeeze the Chinese skater right into the bend, who then lost her footing and took Christie out. She pushes the limits, which is good obviously, you don't want her holding back, but I think she has accept that's a dangerous strategy.

18 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm no speed skating expert, so I don't know, but is bad luck, or is it just her style. She seems to take risks, which will come off at times but other times you fail. Today she seemed, in an attempt to get ahead, squeeze the Chinese skater right into the bend, who then lost her footing and took Christie out. She pushes the limits, which is good obviously, you don't want her holding back, but I think she has accept that's a dangerous strategy.

When it happens five times running (with the majority of the incidents not actually being her fault) I think you've got to accept that there seems to be a mixture of both responsible...but seriously, I feel for her - she seems to be cursed.

Well done to Yarnold and Deas!

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Elise Christie stretchered off. Seems to get no luck

I remember claiming to my old cricket coach when I kept getting out caught at gully of bad luck and he said "if it happens consistently, it's isn't bad luck" - she seems to have a problem with this and judging from her interviews I'm not sure she has the mental strength to beat it.

32 minutes ago, MattP said:

I remember claiming to my old cricket coach when I kept getting out caught at gully of bad luck and he said "if it happens consistently, it's isn't bad luck" - she seems to have a problem with this and judging from her interviews I'm not sure she has the mental strength to beat it.

Thing is though, she's won numerous world championship events with the same style against the same racers under similar pressure, so it's pretty clear the style works - it's just when Olympic time rolls around that the problems arise, I wonder why that is?

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Also, honestly can't see how Christie was responsible for the tangle today - even though she wouldn't have been able to compete in the final anyway.

All the experts are saying it was right to penalise her. She gets too tight on the Chinese skater and leans on her cause her to fall. Obviously it not always her fault but she keeps putting herself in these position where she either causes or is caught up in a crash. It high risk, at times it works, at times it doesn't.