Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Vardy miles too good for City

Just now, hejammy said:

OK so no other right back apart from Simpson has led us to a title, greatest ever right back? 

Look I'm not denying Vardy is a good striker, but actually there were better individual players that played for us, Banks, Lineker, Weller, Izzet, Mahrez, Cambiasso etc all individually much better footballers than Vardy. Some people think he's our best ever player because he was in the team who won the league, its a flawed argument. 

Vardys contribution was far greater than Danny Simpson. Danny Simpson did not lead us to a title.

He scored 24 goals and 10 assists in 36 games while winning the football writers player of the year. 

And I've not said he's our greatest ever striker, but for me he has to be in the top 3.

Nobody since Gary Lineker comes close. Some will say Heskey but his achievements WITH Leicester have been outdone by Vardy imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Record goal streak in the premiership, England regular, champions league quarter finalist, oh and he won the league with us. Not even top 3? Get in the bin

So he was responsible solely for out league win and us getting into the Champions league QF? As I stated before he one of the legends but there have been plenty more before him who can claim top 3, if someone playing for us isn't around when we're in the Premier league or champions league cannot claim for top 3 then that's quite sad. 

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

Vardys contribution was far greater than Danny Simpson. Danny Simpson did not lead us to a title.

He scored 24 goals and 10 assists in 36 games while winning the football writers player of the year. 

And I've not said he's our greatest ever striker, but for me he has to be in the top 3.

Nobody since Gary Lineker comes close. Some will say Heskey but his achievements WITH Leicester have been outdone by Vardy imo.

I wasn't just talking about strikers, I was talking about top 3 players. 

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

@sylofox and I are in agreement. One of us will now have to spontaneously combust :)

I would plus 10 that if I could lollol 

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I saw Worthington and Weller as a child. Vardy is absolutely unquestionably a bigger club legend and better player (or rather more consistent) than them for me.

People always remember the good parts of players from the past and never their bad games. Vardy will be remembered as a bigger legend once he's left here and people have forgotten all the games he didn't do much in, no question about it in my mind.

It's so much easier to romanticise about players from our youth who's bad games have long been forgotten than players than it is current players we saw as adults when we're much more critical and understand the nuances of the game a lot better.

I may be wrong but I think you really missed my point.

7 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Some numbers analysis on PL forwards.

http://dailym.ai/2og6Nb8

Remarkable numbers for a striker whose job is to create chances for others rather than score himself. On big chances conversion and shots conversion ration he's amongst the best.

Top striker and a place on the plane to Russia has be to reserved for him.

13 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Lukaku is better than Vardy and is one of the better strikers in the PL so don't really get your point

You don’t think that Jamie Vardy is one of the better PL strikers then? 

I have to disagree.

Whats is Lukaku’s conversion rate. By that I mean chances to goals? (I don’t know the answer btw).

Vardy’s over the last two seasons is about 1/3 wiith 13 goals against your guys 12 in this season so far.

Lukaku plays in a team who create many more chances than we do, so this is the only fair comparison I would have thought? 

Edit: would you believe it...I can now back up my anecdotal claims with facts direct from the PL.

JV best ‘big chance’ conversion rate in the PL this season at 77%, with a shot conversion rate second only to fat Rooney (really?) at 29%.

Lukuku? ...out with the washing.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

Having been too young to have seen Banks or Shilton play (apart from the end of Shilton's time with England & Derby) I'm surprised by how many say Shilton was better.

I obviously have no opinion but listening to my dad/uncles over the years I have always been told that Banks was much the better keeper. Probably should not be surprised as my dad's views seem to differ from most fans.

He thought Worthington was vastly over rated as an example.

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Banks was the more spectacularly athletic of the two - his wonder save against Pele in the 1970 WC game brought him instant fame worldwide. But "much the better keeper" - no way. There's an anecdote from the training ground about Shilton - from Birchenall I think. He said (if it was him) that it was impossible to get the ball past him from twenty yards. Whether that was a run up to twenty yards with Shilton advancing - I'm not sure. Here's a quote which illustrates Shilton's intensity.

"Shilton was a ferocious trainer. In that respect he was ahead of his time, pushing himself on the training ground while most of his teammates were already tucking into their third pint after lunch. There's a story that a German team, in Nottingham for a preseason friendly, stopped by to watch the Forest players go through their paces. The German keeper was invited to take part in the session. Watching Shilton fling himself across his goal again and again, working to the point of collapse, he politely declined. Shilton was motivated by a simple and very clear goal: to be the best goalkeeper in the world."

I actually preferred Banks as a player and a nice bloke.

As I've said before on here, the Bloomfield team was gifted with more than a few talented players - but Bloomfield was no Jock Wallace. Worthington was complemented by two very gifted players - Glover and Weller. But no way was there the drive in that team that typified the 2015-16 side. Worthington was a good-time guy - you can't be that and optimise a footballing career. However, when he was up for it he was special.

It was the Bloomfield era that cemented my love of LCFC Gerbold, I totally agree that Weller and Glover were the diamonds that made Frank's crown shine! ?

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

When you think about it, CIty picked up some tremendous players via Bloomfield's connections down the Smoke. As well as Weller he picked up Jon Sammels, Dennis Rofe, the Birch and Steve Earle. Lenny Glover was already there and Steve Whitworth (I played in the same Coalville school side as he did!). He was also an exceptional player - as you'll no doubt recall. And they got Frank Worthington by default! They were the most entertaining Leicester side I've seen - perhaps even more than this current one. They had 'swagger'. 

But I once worked with City ex-apprentice who told me there were two 'camps' in the team - the Londoners and the rest (the pre-Bloomfield 'local' lads) and they didn't share the same attitude towards football (and, no doubt, night-life).

You couldn't watch them without complete admiration - win or lose. Thing was that I met the ex-wife in the middle of JB's reign. She lived in Dudley at the time so I spent my weekends going over there. City took a back seat after that. She didn't appreciate the beautiful game (although her dad was a big Liverpool fan) - especially after going to watch Wolves once and witnessing some bloke next to her relieving himself on the terrace :D.

I remember an FA Cup tie v Luton in 74, I was 11, we demolished them 0-4 On a bog playing sublime football. Weller was mercurial and the team played some ole football. ?

You are all nuts, talking about leicester legends in front of Vardy

Keith Weller?, he's a legend at Leicester at for wearing tights!!

Lineker?,if he were not  on match of the day, no one would remember him..

In 50 years time, Leiceter kids will know about Vardy, and FA about Lineker, Weller etc

57 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I remember an FA Cup tie v Luton in 74, I was 11, we demolished them 0-4 On a bog playing sublime football. Weller was mercurial and the team played some ole football. ?

I remember a Premier League Match at Sunderland, when I was 60, we demolished them 0-2 playing sublime. Vardy was mercurial and we went on to become Premier League CHAMPIONS.

How did it end up in 1974?

I have quite high hopes in Diabate to become very good consistently and score often in the future at some point, enough to perceive that Barry's replacement has been found once he retires.

It's early days, but don't think Iheanacho will be the main goalscorer aside from Vardy in the side imo.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

7 hours ago, treer said:

I remember a Premier League Match at Sunderland, when I was 60, we demolished them 0-2 playing sublime. Vardy was mercurial and we went on to become Premier League CHAMPIONS.

How did it end up in 1974?

Yes I remember that magnificent achievement and season too, after supporting the club for 47 years a feat i never thought id witness  , why are you turning it into this? It was  bit of nostalgia not a comparison so drop the pathetic sarcastic tone.

And to clarify I think Vardy is a total legend and invaluable to all our success as does Gerbold if you actually read the posts!

Edited by Bluetintedspecs

12 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

All??? I know this topic drifted but it was a pretty lame thread you began anyway - contentious and provocative. And it's tailing off anyway - so if BTS and I want to reminisce a bit leave it to the Mods to curtail it, if they feel so inclined.

Your insistence on lauding Vardy above the team makes you appear to be a bit like the Algerian fan-boys wanting Mahrez away. Is that it - would you rather see him somewhere else so you, like them, would be able to feel a little more self-esteem - off the back of Vardy playing for Yanited etc? Well, he's chosen to stay at Leicester where the real City fans are and that makes him a great in my eyes. But, if you start to belittle men like Lineker and Weller you besmirch Leicester City FC and its pride and tradition. 

In fifty years time there'll be a whole new series of legends - and Vardy will be remembered in the same light as Lineker, Weller and Izzett. Just as, when I was a kid, the older supporters remembered Chandler and Rowley. And no-one alive now knows how good Channy was - but his record is there for the viewing. He could have been every bit as good as Vardy. So, when you spout off about the future and the past, just remember that men (and women) played football before you were born and will do after you're gone. A sense of time and history gives wisdom - you don't appear to have accrued any of that yet.

Known troll, don't waste your energy.

Hate the title of this thread. The insinuation is that if ever we get anyone with any kind of talent above and beyond the average ability of a premier league player then they are too good for us. It’s the mentality that the press have encouraged and it’s clearly worked with some city fans.

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

Can't agree with the line I've emboldened! Vardy has been hugely consistent - it's his 'providers' who've not given him the consistent service he can capitalise on. 

Vardy has the benefit of better training, better nutrition (bar the Red Bull and port chasers!) and the accumulated football wisdom of fifty-odd years. I suspect he plays on better pitches too.

There's no "unquestionably" about the argument. Inconsistency is the only element that's a demonstrable difference. It's true - the Bloomfield team weren't subject to a disciplined regime - the guy who assembled them couldn't galvanise them. It was well known then - that's why the "on their day they could beat any team" reputation. So don't be so quick to discount the objectivity available even to those who remember the 'Bloomfield Boys' playing with rose-tinted specs.

Comparing the past with the present, however fertile a ground for discussion, is so, so fraught with irreconcilable factors that threads like this 'treer' started are always going to end in disagreement - but, hey, that's nowt new on this Forum ;).

Sorry Gerbold it's blue lol

Sadly your eloquent riposte is lost on some!

998.jpg