Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Changing name of Leicester City's stadium could net £2.7m a season

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The City Stadium was commonly known as Filbert Street due to its location.

What is now known as King Power Stadium was commonly known as Freeman's Wharf whilst under construction due to its location.

Why did we stop calling it Freeman's Wharf as that's where it is ??

Did Freeman's Wharf not change i to being Filbert Way?

Edited by baker11

6 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Did Freeman's Wharf not change i to being Filbert Way?

No, the area was always known as Freeman's Wharf when it had the power station on it. I can vaguely remember the twin cooling towers and my Dad's story about how someone fell down inside one (not sure if he made that up, though). 1927

Filbert Way is a council invention to retain a link with the past. Means nothing.

32 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

No, the area was always known as Freeman's Wharf when it had the power station on it. I can vaguely remember the twin cooling towers and my Dad's story about how someone fell down inside one (not sure if he made that up, though). 1927

Filbert Way is a council invention to retain a link with the past. Means nothing.

That maybe but I can honestly say I have never heard any fan call the ground 'Freeman's Wharf', 'Filbert Way' on the other hand yes.

13 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Everyone called it Freeman's Wharf right up until it got the Walkers stamp on it.

Freeman's Wharf

Has a ring to it and unique to us.

Exactly. I'd be so much happier with that.

There are some things a club absolutely shouldn't need to sell unless it is a full on emergency. We had an administration emergency in which we absolutely needed to sell everything we possibly could and we sold the stadium naming rights which I am fine with because of that context.

However, that time has now passed and hopefully long gone and those things that are unique to our club should be passed back to the club and its fans. 

There really is absolutely no need to continue to sell the naming rights to our playing surface and stadium.

Freeman's Wharf
Filbert Way
Fosse Stadium

Any of the above as far as I am concerned.

Edited by zealot