Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Stoke (H)..pre match thread.

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Disrupt defenders who are playing to a defensive system. Doesn't matter how creative you are if you can't break a defense down.

You need to be creative to break a defensive team. It will let you the ball and there is nothing to disrupt.

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Disrupt defenders who are playing to a defensive system. Doesn't matter how creative you are if you can't break a defense down.

so to counter a defensive set up you want us to pick a defensive set up?

14 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

If Puel does keep Morgan in, I won't be throwing my toys out of the pram, because at least Drago has had enough time to show that he could be a big part of our future.

I prefer Drago tbh, but undermining our club captain may not be wise right now. I trust Claude to make the call.

Like your posts but this one gave me a hard time. Shouldn't we starting the players based on merit?

Morgan has a good season but I'm all for giving Drago more games as a starter not disrupting a good run. If he goes off the boil then fair enough.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

No, to counter a defensive set up, i want us to play a player that disrupts stokes defense. How hard is that to understand. 

except he doesn't do that and Stoke's defence won't have the ball we will, Vardy disrupts the defence, Shinji disrupts the midfield by dropping into that.

Stoke will most likely do what the medial thought we did in the title win, defend as deep as possible and loiok to counter they won't want the ball, we are going to need as many people as possible that are likely to create something, even if he was fit which he isn't, this would not describe Shinji

This could be a bit like Swansea a fortnight ago. A team scrapping for their top flight status and will make it a bit awkward.

Stoke at home has been kind to us the last 2 years.Especially after the 4 to 5 game wobble we had after Christmas/New year 2016. We needed a boost after the villa 1-1 draw and we got it against Stoke after. Last years win pulled us away from relegation fears.

Stoke need the points more this time around but to be optimisic about it I will say we're surely due a win soon.

31 minutes ago, KingKoala said:

I think Morgan will start as I thought Maguire looked more comfortable doing his job partnering with Wes.

Against a Championship team I think you need to consider, even if we agree with your point; which I’m not sure I do.

More the the point Dragovic has done nothing wrong and it’s Wes that is UNcomfortable on the ball at all times 

44 minutes ago, Zevaristi said:

Schmeichel

Simpson  Dragovic  Maguire  Fuchs

Amartey  Ndidi

Mahrez  Silva  Albrighton

Vardy

Genuine question, why would you pick Amartey in the defensive midfield role ahead of either Iborra or James? Everyone’s entitled to their own opinions and suggestions so I’m not having a go, I’d pick that exact team just with Iborra in there

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Whether club captain or not, players should be selected based on how good they are. 

If we are to play a passing game Simpson and Morgan are total liabilities and detrimental to making our play flow as it should.

One of our best performances in terms of controlling a game this season was at Chelsea, and it’s no coincidence Morgan and Simpson were not playing.

Neither of them should be starting on that basis.

That's fair enough, play your best team and all, keep the flow and balance, but there are also the things we (as fans) don't really see (leadership, dressing room dynamics etc), and maybe Puel will think the summer is a better time to change the pecking order. I'm a big fan of Drago myself, as we have looked like a proper football team recently and hopefully he has done enough to unseat Morgan, but I could see it going the other way.

I think if it was purely on ability and being suited to Puel's vision of football, there would be no place for Simmo and Wes, although I would argue that they are both still pretty decent defensively.

Interestingly, the competition for Morgan's position is much tougher than Simmo's, and (for me) leaving out your captain is a bigger call. I bet the 2 of them are feeling some real pressure anyway, as Puel certainly likes to keep everyone guessing. I can't see anyone thinking they can just coast through training and expect to start, with Claude in charge.

Fear and loathing at Belvoir Drive... :wes:

We have three matches - Stoke, Bournmouth and West Brom - before we face Chelsea in the quarters. We need to win this match but there are plenty of decisions this'll help us make.

Will Shinji be back in time? Will Vardy and Ian start working together well? Who's Wilf's best partner? Should we give Simpson more game time or continue with Amartey? Same decision with Fuchs and Chilwell. Is Drag or Morgan Maguire's best partner?

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Like your posts but this one gave me a hard time. Shouldn't we starting the players based on merit?

Morgan has a good season but I'm all for giving Drago more games as a starter not disrupting a good run. If he goes off the boil then fair enough.

Well, as a fan I would like to stick with Drago (as you say, unless his form drops off), as I think he has been better than Maguire since he came in. I don't really like flashy buccaneering runs from CB's anyway, it just gives me the fear! lol. But Puel gets a lot more information than we do, understands the dressing room better, gets all the top-class analytics, and will have noticed that Amartey (who is probably my preferred RB at the mo) went walkabout in a fairly appalling way during his last game, after some solid displays.

Or he might think that our youngest back four lacks a bit of experience and consistency, if we play them all, just as our most experienced back four might be seen as lacking pace and energy and (in some cases) quality on the ball. I have this feeling Claude might strike a balance between the young uns and the old guard, at least for now.

It is a credit to Drago that Puel has a difficult decision to make, how quickly these thing change. Or maybe Puel will look at a back 3 again. Can you tell from my posts that I have no idea what Claude will do? :thumbup:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Sends a statement out to the squad, work hard when your not getting a start, and earn your place when you do, keeps those not playing content, if those in front of them are playing really well.

Can go totally the other way, train well, perform well when given a chance, don’t put a foot wrong, play as good if not better than the player you replace, but as soon as the other player becomes available again your dropped, creates the why should I give my all attitude.

Puel has got to be careful on the dragovic one, as he’s already done the above to amartey, makes a player feel not valued, so agree it should be on merit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

if Wes is this great captain around the training ground that people say he is it won't undermine him unless he kicks off in which case he's a shitty captain, we haven't missed him during his injury so why drop the guy that replaced him for no reason?

Captain or not he should have to earn his place back like any other player if the man that replaced him is doing the job, many players far better than Wes Morgan has lost their place in football due to an injury, its the natural order and also the only way to keep squad players engaged, knowing that if they get in and perform they stay in.

Dropping Dragovic for no reason after dropping Amartey for no reason is a terrible message to send to the squad players and can destroy their motivation.

Fair points, except I do feel that Amartey had a bit of a mare in his last game, from a manager confidence point of view. A right back coming inside to cover is good (Amartey has done it well at times), but ending up on the left, just in front of Chilwell, and then hanging about looking for a return ball, is comedy defending for me. When Chilwell, who looked a bit surprised to see big Dan, messed up and the cross came over, we had no RB and an easy goal resulted. Managers don't like that kind of thing. Not many mentioned it at the time, and most of the blame was put on Chilwell, but I think it played in Simmo's favour.

As I'll point out again, I would prefer Drago and Amartey, but I wouldn't be that surprised if either of them didn't make it.

So all I'm really saying is lets not go into meltdown if he does pick Morgan, we don't watch training, we don't get the detailed analytics, we don't know how he feels about the blend of youth and experience, or how the dressing room dynamics would be affected.

Puel already spoke earlier in the season about not rushing to make too many drastic changes, and how he wants to move towards greater comfort with the ball, and to give us different ways of playing. That might mean seeing more of Wes and Simmo than we might want, until the summer, but I'm prepared to give Claude time to do it his way. :)

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

34 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Well, as a fan I would like to stick with Drago (as you say, unless his form drops off), as I think he has been better than Maguire since he came in. I don't really like flashy buccaneering runs from CB's anyway, it just gives me the fear! lol. But Puel gets a lot more information than we do, understands the dressing room better, gets all the top-class analytics, and will have noticed that Amartey (who is probably my preferred RB at the mo) went walkabout in a fairly appalling way during his last game, after some solid displays.

Or he might think that our youngest back four lacks a bit of experience and consistency, if we play them all, just as our most experienced back four might be seen as lacking pace and energy and (in some cases) quality on the ball. I have this feeling Claude might strike a balance between the young uns and the old guard, at least for now.

It is a credit to Drago that Puel has a difficult decision to make, how quickly these thing change. Or maybe Puel will look at a back 3 again. Can you tell from my posts that I have no idea what Claude will do? :thumbup:

The bit about Amartey is spot on. He's improved much more than I expected but I still have more confidence in Simpson defensively. It's a tough choice for me. I think Simpson could learn to adapt to Puel's style, much better than Morgan, who seems a dead end to Puel's passing it around plays, until we learn to accommodate Morgan which would be a feat in itself.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Morgan / Drago & Simmo / Amartey debates aside, there’s really no excuse for not picking up points here. It should be 3, but can we defend a set piece?

I thought we got it sorted after Xmas, but the scars of this problem run deep.

I wish we were a little bit taller,

I wish we were ballers...

• Haha 1