Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vardinio'sCat

Vardy showing no signs of slowing down, apparently.

Just now, Buce said:

That's not what Rumble said, though.

He said our greatest ever player, and that depends on how you define it.

Oh my bad.

For me, as far as that conversation goes, it's about longevity, performance, loyalty, accolades, titles and relationship between fans. and vardy has them all.

2 minutes ago, the fox said:

Oh my bad.

For me, as far as that conversation goes, it's about longevity, performance, loyalty, accolades, titles and relationship between fans. and vardy has them all.

For me, that's how you define a legend, and Vardy most certainly is that.

I don't have a bad word to say about him, I just don't accept that he is our greatest ever player.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buce said:

I love Vardy as much as the next man, Rumble, but you have to have a very narrow definition of 'greatness' for that to be true.

If we allow career performance (not just while playing for Leicester), honours won, games played, international caps, comparison with others playing the same position (not just contemporaries but also historically)  then there is not even a debate to be had - Peter Shilton is our greatest ever player.

Oh definitely, that is why I said in a later post that many other players could be argued "the best".  I agree that probably Shilton, Banks and Lineker are probably the greatest in terms of career success and obviously players like Chandler and Rowley will never be bettered.  Someone like Steve Walsh would also be a consideration for all round "I am a legend-ness".  All I mean is Vardy should be mentioned in the same breath as any and all of those.  We live in wondrous times.  X

1 hour ago, Buce said:

That's not what Rumble said, though.

He said our greatest ever player, and that depends on how you define it.

You could read that "OUR greatest ever player" but hey, not gonna argue Vardy is better than Shilton or Banks but he definitely is a proper Leicester legend and will be remembered for all time round these parts.  X

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the fox said:

Now this is just not right, mate. how can he be a bigger Leicester legend if what he's doing is benefiting another team?

For me our biggest serving legend atm is Vardy and he should at least crack the top 5 all time while our best serving player is mahrez. being a better player and being a bigger legend are not the same thing.

This is true,Shiltons honours were won elsewhere.If you go on that criteria then Cambiasso would be the most successful Leicester player.

13 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I know some people baulk at the idea because "you are too young and you never saw Weller play you twat" but given what we have achieved, given his personal story, I think a very strong case can be made to say Vardy is our greatest ever player.  There, I said it.  X

Don't take any lectures on Keith Weller, going on strike at half time (something I had no recall of until a few weeks ago) disqualifies him from being used as a stick to beat anyone. If Riyad isn't a Leicester legend because of his recent antics, then nor is Weller.

I would agree with Vardy being a good shout for our goat, although us old uns go misty eyed when remembering  Frank Worthington with good reason. Even he only ended up at Leicester because he failed a medical at Liverpool (I think), so our memories tend to be pretty selective when it suits us.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buce said:

I love Vardy as much as the next man, Rumble, but you have to have a very narrow definition of 'greatness' for that to be true.

If we allow career performance (not just while playing for Leicester), honours won, games played, international caps, comparison with others playing the same position (not just contemporaries but also historically)  then there is not even a debate to be had - Peter Shilton is our greatest ever player.

Not even a debate to be had? Those honours were won playing for Forest, and he was only really our no1 goalkeeper for a couple of seasons. 

But it is still a good call,  and as you say you are looking at his whole career. Shilton was home grown, which is a massive thing for me. And even if his peak for England was marred by the inexplicable selection of one Ray Clemence, his longevity at the top (which is only possible with goalies) is pretty much unparalleled.

8 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Not even a debate to be had? Those honours were won playing for Forest, and he was only really our no1 goalkeeper for a couple of seasons. 

But it is still a good call,  and as you say you are looking at his whole career. Shilton was home grown, which is a massive thing for me. And even if his peak for England was marred by the inexplicable selection of one Ray Clemence, his longevity at the top (which is only possible with goalies) is pretty much unparalleled.

He was our first choice keeper for seven years. 

15 hours ago, Buce said:

He was our first choice keeper for seven years. 

I do apologise, I had Gordon Banks going to Stoke far later than 67 in my head, and having checked I don't know why. I think missed seeing Shilton play for us by a couple of years.

My old neighbours in New Parks knew Shilton. I get the impression that as a man, he wasn't universally popular, although I'm not sure why.

Vardy is the undisputed best striker outside the big 6. He has an amazing record against the big clubs and as far as fitting in a team goes, this is his best solution. i think vardy weighs 160 lbs and 150 of it is heart!

If he had better link-up play and a higher on-ball IQ, teams would flock to him. He's elite off-ball but you can't depend on him to pull strings which is totaly fine because he more than overcomponsate for it with his work rate. That's just the player he is.

He would make a killing for the current chelsea team (which i think he can get in, and maybe arsenal)

He passes the eye test with ease. You can throw whatever stat you like and no matter how you slice it, he's a top player.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 2

On 20/02/2018 at 09:05, RumbleFox said:

I know some people baulk at the idea because "you are too young and you never saw Weller play you twat" but given what we have achieved, given his personal story, I think a very strong case can be made to say Vardy is our greatest ever player.  There, I said it.  X

He definitely is, the only people who disagree are nerds who are determined to tell everyone how good the 1930s were when they played with a pigs bladder and got paid a shilling and 3 hens a week to play 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 04:27, Collymore said:

You must be trolling? Vardy showing no signs of slowing down and then share stats that he is... Crazy post 

I was referring to the title of the article I linked to, and I added apparently to emphasise the fact.

I was more interested in the stats which I thought suggests that any change has been pretty marginal, at least to my eyes. Sorry if it wasn't very clear, reading it back I can see why it sounds more self-contradictory than I meant it to be.