Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Stoke post match 1-1

Pretty garbage all round. Agree with others. Wrong team. Gray moaned about starting so now he needs to step up or shut up. Prem starts are a privilege not a right. 

We we need to find some form and quickly. What could be a decent season is starting to look like it will be mediocre at best. 

We're really missing shinji. Gray just seems to have had his time at L.C.F.C. The midfield were just short of ideas but from what ive seen of Silva and iborra I dont think things would be better. Apart from Ndidi the others look to be lacking pace and that's why Puel can't make his mind up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Agree - Mahrez was our only hope. Gray poor, Simpson and Morgan V poor, Albrighton a lot of effort little quality, James pedestrian.

Mahrez and Maguire only positives, rest were shite. Albrighton, Chilwell, Simpson were so far off it, all season, not just today.  

Said it from the start and I'll say it again, Puel was a very bad choice to make as a manager. when people asked the Southampton fans what they thought of him after he was made manager here they said all the things that we saw out there today. Bad team selection, bad tactics  ( like watching a windscreen wiper ) back and forth with no idea how to go forward, And substitutes coming on far too late. He has reverted to type and needs replacing at the end of the season. Even the players don't seem to know what they are supposed to be doing. I still can't believe how the hell he got the job in the first place.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

Thought the referee was poor today, and usually Michael Oliver is a good choice. Too fussy in the first half, too lenient in the second. How Iheanacho didn't get a free-kick on the edge of the box when Adam wiped him out was beyond me.

We performed worse than the referee did today, I’m more concerned how ineffective we are to break down tin pot sides like Stoke!!

48 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

That's about half right. But were the better ball-players given precedence then Mahrez wouldn't have to shoulder the major responsibility for creating opportunities. Silva is the obvious choice. There's an over reliance on crossing rather than through balls. Accurate and fast players are needed for that style of play.

Two more simple CMs is fine tbf if the three behind Vardy step up and offer the creativity, but albrighton is what he always is - a workhorse, and grey flatters to deceive more often than not; that's where to look before we start claiming "James can't pass"

3 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Said it from the start and I'll say it again, Puel was a very bad choice to make as a manager. when people asked the Southampton fans what they thought of him after he was made manager here they said all the things that we saw out there today. Bad team selection, bad tactics  ( like watching a windscreen wiper ) back and forth with no idea how to go forward, And substitutes coming on far too late. He has reverted to type and needs replacing at the end of the season. Even the players don't seem to know what they are supposed to be doing. I still can't believe how the hell he got the job in the first place.

This is how Southampton were playing a year ago and then the fans and the board turned against him and got rid of him. No wonder Southampton called him 'Bored Claude' and got rid of him in the summer. We are playing the same way as Southampton did 1 year ago 'clueless'.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Rubbish and one thing that starting to annoy me is with a little more quality we could be very close to Arsenal. Anyway Puel got it wrong from the start today should of had 3 in the middle with no gray the lads a winger play him there if not don’t bother. Iborra needs to be in there or Silva and as for kasper beaten again on the side hes stood on is not good enough, and his distribution has been well below par in the last 3/4 games.

His distribution was outstanding today up until the horror show that nearly led to their second goal.

• Like 1

Just got in from work and listened to the recording of the post-match on radio Leicester, only for it to cut out just as Stringer’s in the process of finally asking Claude the million dollar question about team selection, particularly in midfield. To be fair the answer probably wouldn’t have woken me from the slumber induced by his previous answers, but still...did anyone catch what he said in response?! Like I mean why. Just why. That’s all I wanna know

8 minutes ago, KJT said:

This is how Southampton were playing a year ago and then the fans and the board turned against him and got rid of him. No wonder Southampton called him 'Bored Claude' and got rid of him in the summer. We are playing the same way as Southampton did 1 year ago 'clueless'.

It’s hard to make an argument against this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

His distribution was outstanding today up until the horror show that nearly led to their second goal.

Rubbish, he played it to chilwell 3 times and it went out of play then rolled it out to him when there was a player on him straight away. He did it to someone else down the right I think it was Ndidi. 

26 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

It's not that bad.

Edited by blueharmie

3 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Rubbish, he played it to chilwell 3 times and it went out of play then rolled it out to him when there was a player on him straight away. He did it to someone else down the right I think it was Ndidi. 

Some of that was after the Shaqiri shot. He played some incredible passes today, but he then ruined it for himself towards the end.

A frustrating afternoon, starting with the baffling team selection.  James preferred to Silva and Gray playing centrally meant we were overrun in midfield and Vardy was isolated up front.  Simpson was lucky to start too.  The subs came on too late.  Nowhere near enough intensity and running off the ball, apart from the last ten minutes.  Endless wasted corners and high crosses for their defenders to head away.  We finished well, and could have nicked it, but didn't deserve to.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

Today wasn't great. But we should have won with the chances at the end and puel wouldnt be being hammered. 

Fair enough. But this was not just a one-off we have seen our team get progressively worse. I'm sorry but that has to be down to the manager, his team selection and  tactics .

Puel has got it wrong too often since Christmas. It's concerning.

How Chilwell is getting in ahead of Fuchs is baffling. How James is getting in ahead of Silva and Iborra is even more baffling.

He speaks a lot about making us better in possession and becoming better at breaking teams down, yet we seem to actually be getting worse in that regard. It's slow, uncreative and lacking technical quality that can make a difference, Mahrez aside.

That's what makes the picking of Chilwell and James even stranger. They are keeping out players that are far superior technically. Today's match was crying out for that technique and yet all three remained on the bench.

I fear he's taken us too far down the road too quickly in terms of the style. We are trying to play a way that doesn't suit a lot of the players in that team.

We were very good at times in Puel's first three months, but I've not seen that level of performance for weeks and weeks. Only picking up 2 points against Swansea and Stoke at home is hard to swallow.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KJT said:

Just trying to find silly comparisons.There are  None.!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanity said:

I don't think James is poor, I think he is Prem-level, but he is undoubtedly limited. He is not going to take the ball from a CB and go forward to attack. He is going to defend and then hand the ball off to someone else to take fwd. With Gray almost wholly absent today, we needed pressure in the middle to force the defense to stop doubling, tripling up on Riyad. Puel seems oblivious to the fact that certain players on his team lack ability with the ball at their feet. He ignored the fact that Silva was critical to beating MC's press, pulled him, and was seeming baffled as to why we suddenly couldn't get the ball out of our own half. Today he sat and watched for 70 minutes as we sat around outside the box and sent crosses in. Is that our game now? If so, why did we send Slim to Newcastle? What are we even trying to do when we get forward with that line-up? They didn't seem to have a clear idea re breaking down Stoke, their only answer was "get the ball to Riyad and hope". We have some excellent players, but we need to actually play them together.

Puel has been spot on at times, but lately he is doing a very poor job of understanding how his personnel choices are hurting our chances of winning games. He is growing overly conservative, and it is costing us points.

I agree with you that we don't appear to be going into games with any real plan. Gray has also been in poor form as has Albrighton. I appreciate that Puel hasn't had time to shape the team in terms of the personnel but I hear people saying that 'he needs this kind of player to do his system' etc and to me we had a lot of variety at the club when he arrived (think of contrast between Slim and Vardy, or James and Silva etc). It's too early to be calling for anything but I am beginning to question what he is really trying to do in terms of the performances and the team direction and i'm also confused as to why he doesn't think some players are good enough despite majority of us thinking that he should be looking to change things.

Was dire to watch today and to be honest I tuned out at 70 mins having had enough. You say James is prem level but I haven't really seen anything to suggest that he's good enough to be playing week in week out for a top 10 side, he's cumbersome on the ball and isn't exactly an effective midfield enforcer/doesn't offer anything creatively. I'm not even sure if he would get into the Stoke or Swansea team to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Puel has got it wrong too often since Christmas. It's concerning.

How Chilwell is getting in ahead of Fuchs is baffling. How James is getting in ahead of Silva and Iborra is even more baffling.

He speaks a lot about making us better in possession and becoming better at breaking teams down, yet we seem to actually be getting worse in that regard. It's slow, uncreative and lacking technical quality that can make a difference, Mahrez aside.

That's what makes the picking of Chilwell and James even stranger. They are keeping out players that are far superior technically. Today's match was crying out for that technique and yet all three remained on the bench.

I fear he's taken us too far down the road too quickly in terms of the style. We are trying to play a way that doesn't suit a lot of the players in that team.

We were very good at times in Puel's first three months, but I've not seen that level of performance for weeks and weeks. Only picking up 2 points against Swansea and Stoke at home is hard to swallow.

This aint His Squad,we are Holding 8th.People are expecting top much from Puel and the group

Of players,who are in a rebuilding Stage,I fully expected hiccups and indifferent performances.

Trying to Put in Your own ideas,Change slowly our Style and even Ethos ,is Not something done

within a few Months.  Too many posters looking for the easy negatives....

• Like 2