Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Stoke post match 1-1

Our form between Iborra getting himself fit and then dropped was excellent. Relegation form the rest. 

If we're going to play a more possession-based style, we need some degree of control and creativity in the centre of the park. As much as I like James and admire the way he has fought back from injuries, we've surely got aspirations beyond his ability now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Cant remember one ball to his feet or for him to run onto....

Just shit loads of poor crosses

That's what I said however he didn't also make the runs today that he usually does to get the ball to his feet, or a movement for him to have someone pass for him to run onto

3 minutes ago, KansasFox said:

I really think it is less scapegoating and more frustration from most.

It is tough for fans as we feel a sense of loyalty to James and are desperate to see him do well after an injury.  But, for the manager it should be an emotion-free decision.  Matty has been way to easily passed by in midfield in his performances.

Also, I think that there are positive signs of what Puel is doing if we reflect rather than react.  But, the frustration is we are not producing final balls well.  Someone needs to connect better the midfield to attack transition and James isn't the man for that.  I think he is in because Silva is not match sharp and that has shown when he has played.  But, the frustration is, he never will be if he doesn't play matches and in the second half to replace James with Silva would have been a good opportunity.

Not scapegoating, we are trying to change style a bit and I'd like to see more forward planning with the playing personnel that will suit that.

I agree with you there especially with regards to us fans wanting James to do well but it does seem right now he’s more likely to get scrutinised for a mistake than another player would making the same mistake. When is Silva going to get match time? I’d have thought he would get some last week in the cup. Is he featuring for the under 23s?

4 minutes ago, FIF said:

Mahrez had control of the game here are his stats:

Mahrez vs Stoke.

98 touches – most on the pitch

8.3% possession – second to Albrighton (Gray 2.9%, Vardy 1.6%)

6 shots – nobody else on the pitch took more than 3

70% - passing – one of the worst (even Gray had 80%, Vardy 83%, James top with 87%)

total passes 53 - 5th highest, Ndidi top with 64

accurate passes 37 – chilwell had 41, Maguire top 46

key passes 1 – Vardy top with 3, Chilwell 2

Dribbles attempted 5 – top

Dribble success 60% - bottom

dribbled past 2 – second worst

Aerials won 1 – Ndidi top with 9

Aerial won percentage 17% - Morgan top 86%, Diabaté 67%

Tackle success 50% - Chilwell, Vardy, Maguire 100%

Corners 9 – Albrighton next highest with 4

Corner accuracy 44% - I guess those were the short ones to Albrighton

Dispossessed 4 – no other Leicester player more than 1

It's nothing to do with me hating on Mahrez, it's that he isn't living upto the hype to many on the board have put on him.

I want him to assist and score. I want us to win.

This game he was miserable and we threw away 2 points to one of the worst teams in the league.

Stats don’t tell the full story, first half alone he put in about 4 quality crosses that deserved somebody to get on the end of it, but we don’t get enough numbers in the box.

Most dispossessed, second half he was one of a very few trying to break there lines, and tried a few runs, credit to him, rather that than a player who never tried to make something happen, and play safe football at the expense of creating.

Passing stats doesn’t always reflect the players passing it, but the quality or lack of it from a player receiving it, so stats are ok, but I trust what I see

I have no issue with riyads effort today, shame some of them around him had more quality and support him.

Most people on here slating Gray but I actually thought he had a fairly tidy game. Looked for his team mates and had a good passing game, kept possession well. Didnt pull up trees but it was a more solid starting performance than he's had recently. Something he can build on, for me.

We lacked intensity for too much of the game. This passing evolution looks to be a bit of a myth atm for too large a portion of matches. Was a game full of poor quality

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi

Just got back from the game. Poor display today yet we should have won. Mahrez was our best player but fluffed his lines at the end sadly. 

There’s a pattern when we put these poor performances in. The trio of Mahrez / Gray / Albrighton don’t interchange very well and despite seeing a lot of the ball we don’t do much with it. This is going to be a huge problem next season when Riyad goes as he’s a class above the rest of the team. He was greedy today but still the best player on the park by a mile. 65% possession sounds good but means very little without quality in the final third. 

Think James was the wrong call today. He doesn’t dictate the pace of the game, doesn’t win tackles, doesn’t support the attack and doesn’t recycle the ball. Largely anonymous and not in a good way. Iborra was very good against these lot earlier in the season and would have been a better pick if we aren’t going to use Silva. 

Gray didn’t do much and thought Diabate looked like the superior player despite only having 30. 

Simpson sucks in this system. Solid defensively but the move breaks down when he gets the ball. Won’t cross it or take his man on. Chilwell has numerous issues but he drives forward and indirectly makes things happen. 

Morgan seemed slow today and his poor header led to their goal. Given Dragovic did nothing wrong I feel he should be back in but don’t see it happening. Maguire was ok. 

I thought Ndidi was good despite his error costing us a goal.

Albrighton huffed and puffed and was OK. He made things happen. 

Kasper was poor today and lucky we weren’t tested more. 

Nacho looked lost yet again when he came on. I think he can replace Vardy but not play with him. 

Right now we look like what we are - a mid table team. Really we should have had 7th place sewn up and recently have dropped too many points. We all want to dream about the cup but think it would require a great deal of luck to achieve on current form. Better than hoofball but pass and move Leicester we are not. 

At least we didn’t lose the game and woke up at the end, but dropped points for sure. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Stoke weren’t crap at all. What game were you watching? As Izzy said, Stoke came with a game plan and executed it almost perfectly.

WE were crap cos we couldn’t break them down anywhere near effectively enough.

Same game as you Col, they were crap.

Rarely troubled us yet got a goal out of nothing, sat back, came to be boring, yes they had a decent 10 minute spell in the second half but overall were they impressive...no.

We would've beaten them comfortably if our play in the final third was better, Mahrez, Albrighton, Gray and Vardy were abysmal.

• Like 1

**** Danny Simpson off and **** Wes Morgan off.

It’s no coincidence since both have been back in the side that we have started going backwards in performance. The perfect example was Wes underhitting a simple 5 yard pass to Riyad that nearly resulted in conceding possession just outside our box and Danny Simpson kept misplacing passes and losing possession. 

Both not good enough at all for the style of football we want to play now. Albrighton should be at right back for the rest of the season till we can improve that position in the summer. Dragovic is twice the player Wes Morgan is.

4 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Same game as you Col, they were crap.

Rarely troubled us yet got a goal out of nothing, sat back, came to be boring, yes they had a decent 10 minute spell in the second half but overall were they impressive...no.

We would've beaten them comfortably if our play in the final third was better, Mahrez, Albrighton, Gray and Vardy were abysmal.

If crap equates to coming away from home and doing nearly exactly what they set out to do, then yeah they were crap..

lol

6 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

That was absolute shit.

When Puel first came in, we looked more controlled but still quick and incisive. Now he's had his chance to stamp his mark on the team we are turgid, slow, and dull. We do what most shit teams that try to play football do, pass it sideways, go nowhere and kick it out of play.

As bad as Southampton are now, I can see why they wanted him gone.

Silly Last comment..

This Team should of played better,and won this Game.

Ndidi,Morgan too slow on the Ball.

Easy to carry on the campaigne against James,but Ndidi's Touch and Control has

Deserted him,but I wont go Into hack-off Mode, he is not having a good 2018.

I dont think our crosses are always,poor but we dont have anybody attacking or

commited to those Corners or crosses.

ITS a shame and baffling but for a Period before Xmas, Maguire would always take Up the far Post,

we seem to of dropped,the idea.

I would prefer,to see James and Ndidi,to Hang outside the Penalty area in Set pieces.

We Seen again today,Morgan  in Basic defending,was Tops,but we are top slow,

or precise when moving Out of defence,Simpson is often left alone,that His only

Choice is, hoof ,or to Morgan,who is covered.The left Side we see more space,to

move the Ball quicker. The right hand Side,we are hugging the Touchline too much.

James isnt,as  Bad as some posters will have.

I do want to see more,of Silva and Iborra,with a 3 man midfield,presently Ndidi is

Not IMO Automatic choice,but with the Iborra and Silva Next to him,He and the

Team would perform then better.

Today we can Blame our poor midfield choices at that Moment,for the Goal,but 

we Drew because our early game and later in the game,we were not clinical

enough in the last 3rd,Gray today again was below avg.Mahrez could should of

Won it.  Service or openings for Vardy was poor.

Gray is still developing, and has alot of Potential,He will Not be a Wizz kid,but He

still will be a good Player. He needs also bench time,Diabete will also need time

and patience.

Nacho should IMO be playing,Puel today rightly said,"Not enough players in the

Dangerous areas in the Penalty Box"   .Nacho is a Box man,get him in.

I wont this season,get on any soap-box and cry  out on selection,but I do have now

because of Last 5 Games ,my preferences.

Simpson/Drago/Maguire/Chilwell

Silva/Iborra/Ndidi 

Mahrez/Nacho/Vardy.

In a 4-3-3

or Go for Albrighton instead of Simpson,then 3 at the back,with Iborra in front of the defence.

Gray got criticised, for being too greedy,today I only wish He had been greedy,and took on

the runs.

• Like 1

We’re getting very good at hitting the post 

Not sure what the Puel attraction to James is, he’s excellent back up but we’ve better on the bench.

As one of Grays biggest supporters he was abysmal today and he hasn’t shown anything for quite a while now... really can’t work out if he’s actually any good! 

Albrighton faultless as usual, he’s on one of his form bounces! 

Anyway... no need to react to this as much as some are, a draw against Stoke is what we do lol 

5 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

**** Danny Simpson off and **** Wes Morgan off.

It’s no coincidence since both have been back in the side that we have started going backwards in performance. The perfect example was Wes underhitting a simple 5 yard pass to Riyad that nearly resulted in conceding possession just outside our box and Danny Simpson kept misplacing passes and losing possession. 

Both not good enough at all for the style of football we want to play now. Albrighton should be at right back for the rest of the season till we can improve that position in the summer. Dragovic is twice the player Wes Morgan is.

We let in 5 the last time Wes didn’t play

1 hour ago, UPinCarolina said:

Well, that's it. Pray for a Burnley loss to keep us in the race for 7th.

1 hour ago, Ted Maul said:

Admitting defeat in that race. Big Sam knows how to beat teams like Stoke at home. 

Possibly, but since when did he manage Burnley?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

We let in 5 the last time Wes didn’t play

Against Manchester City who have made a habit of battering teams this season. 

Dragovic and Maguire hardly put a foot wrong before that game. Maguire looks like he has no faith in Wes’s footballing ability and it’s having a detrimental impact on his performance.