Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

Chilwell vs Schlupp

Chilwell vs Schlupp  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Based on their appearances for Leicester, who is the better fullback

• Chilwell
    • Schlupp

I'm not sure what people want from Chilwell, it seems that the bar is that high he has to attack like Roberto Carlos and defend like Paulo Maldini when he play left back.

What I see is a young lad who is a brilliant athlete who has talent on the ball and can burst through lines. His delivery could be better and his defensive side could also improve but both these skills will come with game time and experience. He has potential by the bucket load and I'd bet that Puel was elated to have a young left back like him in the squad as he's right up Puel's street.

Unbelievable that people want him to go on loan to a Championship side, he's well past that now. Chilwell could play for Real Madrid if he reaches his potential, when he eventually moves from Leicester I'd bet a small fortune that it will be a step up and not a step down.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'm not sure what people want from Chilwell, it seems that the bar is that high he has to attack like Roberto Carlos and defend like Paulo Maldini when he play left back.

What I see is a young lad who is a brilliant athlete who has talent on the ball and can burst through lines. His delivery could be better and his defensive side could also improve but both these skills will come with game time and experience. He has potential by the bucket load and I'd bet that Puel was elated to have a young left back like him in the squad as he's right up Puel's street.

Unbelievable that people want him to go on loan to a Championship side, he's well past that now. Chilwell could play for Real Madrid if he reaches his potential, when he eventually moves from Leicester I'd bet a small fortune that it will be a step up and not a step down.

I'm sorry but that is laughable. I wonder how you come to that conclusion.

We are judging Chilwell against the level we're currently at/aspiring to be.

There are several flaws in his game which are not rectified through minor adjustments.

I'm not expecting him to be the complete, flawless player by any stretch.

But I would much rather he had superior technical and tactical ability than his excellent stamina.

Sure, I like his forward bursts and his directness. Both are sorely needed, but I'd happily trade his stamina for a good cross or shot.

He's not even that strong in the air or in the tackle, which is worrisome as a leftback.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shen said:

I'm sorry but that is laughable. I wonder how you come to that conclusion.

We are judging Chilwell against the level we're currently at/aspiring to be.

There are several flaws in his game which are not rectified through minor adjustments.

I'm not expecting him to be the complete, flawless player by any stretch.

But I would much rather he had superior technical and tactical ability than his excellent stamina.

Sure, I like his forward bursts and his directness. Both are sorely needed, but I'd happily trade his stamina for a good cross or shot.

He's not even that strong in the air or in the tackle, which is worrisome as a leftback.

Of course there are flaws in his game, he only turned 21 at Christmas.

For me he has the tools to go as far in the game as he wants to if he dedicates himself to being the best player he can be. Plenty on here are judging him as the finished article. I see a player who is a natural athlete and dynamic on the ball with buckets of potential.

Tactical ability at this level is something that comes with age and experience. You just have to look at the England U21 and he is as far a long in his progress as the best of them. There are a few players in the development squad who are a similar age that we have high hopes for and he's streets ahead of them in his development.

For me he's a rough diamond. Tactical awareness will come with age and he needs to work on his delivery but the bar is set far too high for him and people are too hasty to criticise a young but outstanding prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

I think that's what people expect from him. A better delivery and to improve his defensive side.

As for his potential, what do you see in him that makes you believe he could reach the heights of Real Madrid?

My honest concern about young footballers in general is that they are being made into brilliant athletes but are stupid footballers. Both Schlupp and Chilwell would fit into that category as far as I am concerned. I think you can teach a player to cross and to improve positioning but a footballing 'brain' is a lot more difficult.

I am confident over time that Chilwell will improve. I am not very confident that he will reach the levels you suggest. I think he has the potential to be a lower Prem / high championship player.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I am confident over time that Chilwell will improve. I am not very confident that he will reach the levels you suggest. I think he has the potential to be a lower Prem / high championship player.

The same Chilwell that tore the Championship a new one with Huddersfield and that has been linked with Arsenal and we turned down a £12m bid from Liverpool?

He's already surpassed your unambitious targets of "lower Prem / high championship".

Unbelievable the flak we give our highly talented young up and coming players on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

The same Chilwell that tore the Championship a new one with Huddersfield and that has been linked with Arsenal and we turned down a £12m bid from Liverpool?

He's already surpassed your unambitious targets of "lower Prem / high championship".

Unbelievable the flak we give our highly talented young up and coming players on here.

With the respect, you haven't really answered my question, as to why you believe he has the talent to reach the dizzy heights of Real Madrid? 

Arsenal and Liverpool are hardly the best at scouting defenders so I'll take their interest with a pinch of salt. 

I see a great athlete. Someone who is great at running with the ball. Other than that I dont see much else currently. Fortunately we are in a position where we can probably afford to continue with him, so he may improve.

Edited by leicesterlad1989

I will tell you who's more fun to watch, and that's jeff! He can turn from amazing to crap in the same attack but as far as on ball, he was a tank. if he had a bit better decision making he would've been our moses (the chelsea player to avoid any jokes). (i voted ben btw)

Whilst i've been disappointed with Chilwell's end product, consistency and defensive positioning, that should improve with time. But if we went back to Fuchs for the rest of the season, I wouldn't be complaining. :ph34r:

I thought Schlupp wasn't really improving by the time he left, so selling him made sense to me.

On 25/02/2018 at 20:46, Wookie said:

Schlupp was a more dangerous player, provided more end product but was even more prone to lapses in concentration than Chilwell. Unfortunately neither of them are going to be regulars for top level sides.

The only danger he was,was to himself!He also had no end product,he ran like **** down the line and when he got to the byline if he didn't run it out he had a brain meltdown.

Just now, Lionheart10 said:

The only danger he was,was to himself!He also had no end product,he ran like **** down the line and when he got to the byline if he didn't run it out he had a brain meltdown.

I'm not saying he was a particularly good player but more dangerous than Chilwell as Schlupp's pace caused issues. Schlupp's stats are predictably not great but Chilwell has 0 assists in 39 (IIRC) apps which for supposedly a player better at attacking than defending says a lot about his defending.

14 hours ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

With the respect, you haven't really answered my question, as to why you believe he has the talent to reach the dizzy heights of Real Madrid? 

Arsenal and Liverpool are hardly the best at scouting defenders so I'll take their interest with a pinch of salt. 

I see a great athlete. Someone who is great at running with the ball. Other than that I dont see much else currently. Fortunately we are in a position where we can probably afford to continue with him, so he may improve.

I think he has the potential to be one of the top five left backs in the world but the bottom line is the vast majority of players never fulfil their potential.One of the teams that have impressed me most over the last few years was Tottenham a couple of years a go. I went to our 1-0 win at WHL when we won the title and I was very impressed how Davies and Walker played like wingers against our narrow formation. The Tottenham full backs played very attacking and wide as Dier solidified the centre playing the holding role and they dominated the match.

This is what I want to see from Leicester. Attacking full backs who can play like wingers when we are dominating whilst the rest of the team dominate the middle of the park, The second half at home against Atletico Madrid Chilwell played like this really well. They defended their 2-0 aggregate lead and played very narrow. Chilwell ran riot down the left side as he was afforded space and caused them all sorts of problems. On another night we may have gotten through what looked like an impossible task at half time against arguably the best defensive side in the world. 

I'm a huge fan of Chilwell as he has the assets I want to see from a Leicester full back. I want our full backs to be able to be solid defensively and to be able to offer an attacking threat when required to do so. In Chilwell I see a great physical specimen for a full back, he is quick with great stamina and looks a lot stronger than he did a year a go as he turns from boy to man. He also has talent on the ball, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and can break lines as he's proved on numerous occasions. If we want to become a regular top half team we need players who can upset teams who set their stall out for a point.

Chilwell could be a better defensive full back and his delivery could get better but these are things that can improve with experience and age which is why I have such hopes for his potential. Athletic ability is something you're either born with or not and Chilwell is obviously a natural athlete. It's the same with ability with the ball at your feet which Chilwell is good naturally. He has natural ability in the things he is good at and the things he is average at are things that can be greatly improved with experience and practice, things like delivery and positioning and reading of the game.

That's why I believe if he gets everything right he can be whatever he wants to be. He only turned 21 at Christmas and people expect him to be the finished article. We have development players a similar age we haven't written off yet and Chilwell is miles ahead of any of them.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

I think all people really want from Chilwell is actually a left back that looks ‘safe’ at playing left back. 

Literally, just a player who doesn’t get forward so often he leaves gaping holes behind him and who doesn’t give the ball away in and around our own penalty area.

I’m sure he’ll improve defensively though. He’s still a kid.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think all people really want from Chilwell is actually a left back that looks ‘safe’ at playing left back. 

Literally, just a player who doesn’t get forward so often he leaves gaping holes behind him and who doesn’t give the ball away in and around our own penalty area.

I’m sure he’ll improve defensively though. He’s still a kid.

Sounds boring to me, though there seems to be a shift in football where people prefer boring, safe and solid defending before actually trying to do something in the game. Not something aimed directly at you, just something I've noticed from a lot of commentators, "analysts" and fans more and more in recent years. Football will always be about trying to score goals and trying to play good football for me.

I would prefer that he's braver on the ball when he gets to the final third. It still seems like he doesn't want to take on the responsibility of being a creator and looks for a safe pass when he could put in a cross/through ball. This then often results in a promising looking attack breaking down and the other team launching forward.

I imagine over the next few months leading to next season, Puel will hopefully be hammering home that he needs to be braver and take the initiative more when going forward.

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

I think he has the potential to be one of the top five left backs in the world but the bottom line is the vast majority of players never fulfil their potential.One of the teams that have impressed me most over the last few years was Tottenham a couple of years a go. I went to our 1-0 win at WHL when we won the title and I was very impressed how Davies and Walker played like wingers against our narrow formation. The Tottenham full backs played very attacking and wide as Dier solidified the centre playing the holding role and they dominated the match.

This is what I want to see from Leicester. Attacking full backs who can play like wingers when we are dominating whilst the rest of the team dominate the middle of the park, The second half at home against Atletico Madrid Chilwell played like this really well. They defended their 2-0 aggregate lead and played very narrow. Chilwell ran riot down the left side as he was afforded space and caused them all sorts of problems. On another night we may have gotten through what looked like an impossible task at half time against arguably the best defensive side in the world. 

I'm a huge fan of Chilwell as he has the assets I want to see from a Leicester full back. I want our full backs to be able to be solid defensively and to be able to offer an attacking threat when required to do so. In Chilwell I see a great physical specimen for a full back, he is quick with great stamina and looks a lot stronger than he did a year a go as he turns from boy to man. He also has talent on the ball, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and can break lines as he's proved on numerous occasions. If we want to become a regular top half team we need players who can upset teams who set their stall out for a point.

Chilwell could be a better defensive full back and his delivery could get better but these are things that can improve with experience and age which is why I have such hopes for his potential. Athletic ability is something you're either born with or not and Chilwell is obviously a natural athlete. It's the same with ability with the ball at your feet which Chilwell is good naturally. He has natural ability in the things he is good at and the things he is average at are things that can be greatly improved with experience and practice, things like delivery and positioning and reading of the game.

That's why I believe if he gets everything right he can be whatever he wants to be. He only turned 21 at Christmas and people expect him to be the finished article. We have development players a similar age we haven't written off yet and Chilwell is miles ahead of any of them.

Certainly can't disagree with a lot of that above. I think that Puel is looking at having fullbacks who can help out in attack. On a number of occasions over the last couple of games Danny Simpson has been in nose bleed territory. Unfortunately I don't think that best suits him. Chilwell certainly fits into Puels ethos as an attacking fullback. I hope that moving forward we continue with this and Puel gets in the players to fit that system as I think it works. Whether Chilwell is the man for the system, I am unsure but Puel clearly rates him.

I see Chilwell as a great athlete too and great running with the ball. Apart from that currently I see nothing else. I don't think he can defend and his positioning isn't good enough. You are right, he is young and he can and will learn, I have no doubts about that. I hope Chilwell can be the player you believe he can be. I respect your view and I hope I am proven wrong.  Unfortunately I've saw it before with players like Liam Moore, who is and was very overrated, who just haven't cut the mustard. Perhaps I am a pessimist on this instance.  

• Like 1

He’s just another Joe Mattock, unfortunately. I’d even argue that Mattock looked better at his age.

He is is nowhere near the “potential” Luke Shaw had at 18 when he moved to United so it’s simply laughable to say he could be one of the top 5 LBs in the World when Shaw is still only 1 year older than him and nowhere near the top 5 himself.

We love to over-hype a young home grown player. Typical English mentality.

Edited by wattolcfc

Both poor left backs, and show how dreadful our recruitment has been since Pearson left. It’s hilarious hearing people mention that Chilwell is good going forward, the bloke can’t pass, cross or shoot and spends half the time passing the ball back to the opposition. Adding to that, he’s too soft to be a premier league left back, gets out muscled by tiny wingers almost every game. Plus was too scared to take a throw in against Milwall lol. Maybe he could be a midtable left back  in a few year’s time, but he really should be in the championship and not starting for a team with ambitions of Europe.

• Like 1