Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Whats your favourite year in music?

25 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I can. I’ve seen multiple posts on here regarding them and agreed but I’m bound to respond to something pathetic like “just a boyband”.

They were a pop band in the first half of their career with a few catchy tunes. They only became interesting after Rubber Soul, stopped touring and started hoovering up the drugs imo.

1 minute ago, separator said:

They were a pop band in the first half of their career with a few catchy tunes. They only became interesting after Rubber Soul, stopped touring and started hoovering up the drugs imo.

I agree and always say this. I’m not into pop love songs (by any band) but after 65 they were magnificent and Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road are all sensational albums.

In ScouseFox’s post he said about Nirvana not matching a Beatles album which I’d agree with but for someone to just respond with “they were just a boy band” isn’t a fair assessment.

Just now, Fox92 said:

I agree and always say this. I’m not into pop love songs (by any band) but after 65 they were magnificent and Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Peppers, White Album and Abbey Road are all sensational albums.

In ScouseFox’s post he said about Nirvana not matching a Beatles album which I’d agree with but for someone to just respond with “they were just a boy band” isn’t a fair assessment.

That's fair enough. I consider boyband's to be manufactured X factor rubbish like what Cowell knocks out, or Stock Aitken & Waterman did back in the day. Beatles were a pop band who matured. White Album is still my favourite record of theirs.  

10 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Also, the Beatles are just a boyband.

Looking forward to hearing One Direction's cover of Revolution #9 or Westlife's rendition of Tomorrow Never Knows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, separator said:

Now, you see, I prefer their earlier pop stuff, it was at least honest and fresh. I find a lot (not all) of their latest stuff to be a bit pompous and overbearing.

What I really dislike about the Beatles is the godlike pedestal that people put them on that no single group of people deserve, no matter how good they are or were. It doesn't happen for any other band, but ultimately they are just another band, amongst many, who have been influential over the years. (sorry Fox92.)

And I say this as someone who has a couple of Beatles albums.

Now, you see, I prefer their earlier pop stuff, it was at least honest and fresh. 

Perhaps I am inferring too much from your comment, but you appear to be suggesting that their later material lacked integrity and originality? Why?

I find a lot (not all) of their latest stuff to be a bit pompous and overbearing.

Fair comment - that's your take on it and your perception which you are perfectly entitled to.

What I really dislike about the Beatles is the godlike pedestal that people put them on that no single group of people deserve, no matter how good they are or were.

Unfortunately there all has and always will be the cult of personality and even YouTube "personalities" are now venerated by hordes of kids. At least the Beatles worked towards, earned and warranted their success.

It doesn't happen for any other band,

I can absolutely assure you that it has done, does and will continue to do so. Perhaps not to the same magnitude - that was unprecedented. 

but ultimately they are just another band, amongst many, who have been influential over the years. (sorry Fox92.)

Indeed, but arguably none have been so formative and far reaching both in terms of global appeal and songwriting. The latter transcends any hype, merchandising or marketing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Now, you see, I prefer their earlier pop stuff, it was at least honest and fresh. I find a lot (not all) of their latest stuff to be a bit pompous and overbearing.

What I really dislike about the Beatles is the godlike pedestal that people put them on that no single group of people deserve, no matter how good they are or were. It doesn't happen for any other band, but ultimately they are just another band, amongst many, who have been influential over the years. (sorry Fox92.)

And I say this as someone who has a couple of Beatles albums.

You should get Abbey Road Trav it's a brilliant album apart from the typical jaunty comedy track sung by Ringo that seems to be on every Beatles LP

If I was gonna go for a year I actually can remember living through I'd probably say 2005, why not. Still listen to these on a regular basis

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

We Are Scientists - In Love and Squalour

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Gorillaz - Demon Days

NIN - With Teeth

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

The Cribs - The New Fellas

Arcade Fire - Funeral