Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
winteriscoming

Name a better option than puel

On 4/22/2018 at 10:00, Happy Fox said:

I rate Hughton he is a decent manager, but I don't think he would leave Brighton for us, Dyche is nailed on in the summer imo, he would be interested in the job, and he was allegedly offered the job before Puel, Burnley have reached their ceiling imo and they won't progress further.

I would prefer Rafa tbh, He isn't going to get anything at Newcastle not the ambition that he craves for.

Are you saying Dyche turned down the chance to manage Leicester? How could he? He couldn't have been thinking straight if this is true.:)

As for Burnley's ceiling....with a favourable draw and one or two "top" displays, they could win the FA Cup or Caribou Cup.

On 20/04/2018 at 09:56, ZeGuy said:

If Newcastle don't give him what he wants, he'll go to a big club. He's no Dyche.

If Mike Ashley can convince him to manage Newcastle under the circumstances then it should be no problem for Vichai to do the same. One of which is a well known tight arse and disliked figure and the other is the exact opposite. No prizes for guessing which is which. 

5 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Are you saying Dyche turned down the chance to manage Leicester? How could he? He couldn't have been thinking straight if this is true.:)

As for Burnley's ceiling....with a favourable draw and one or two "top" displays, they could win the FA Cup or Caribou Cup.

What a season Burnley have had too, bet you've loved every minute. Fair play to Dyche for achieving that on his budget, which makes me wonder what he would be like with a respectable budget to play with. Making the financial jump for the first time has been known to ruin managers in the past and attempting to bring Dyche to Leicester could be a slight concern in this regard. I do however believe that Europe will ruin you next season, pretty glad we avoided it to be honest. 

On 23/04/2018 at 20:07, winteriscoming said:

I think puel will be gone in the summer. Don't agree with this but just my opinion. I can see us getting Quique sanchez flores. He would tick the boxes like when we hired puel. He'd be cheap (having just been sacked by espanyol), have Prem experience and we might as well have a spanish manager. We've tried italian, french and then spanish. With rudkin involved I can see it happening. 

Why would we go for a manager that was sacked by Espanyol and Watford? Just seems like a backwards step to me. 

On 23/04/2018 at 16:57, mozartfox said:

FT would have  ‘Polled’ to get rid of Fergie had been our manager back in his first year at Manure.  This continual habit of calling for the managers head if we do not win 10 games in a row and play like Barca every game, is not really conducive to building a team that can seriously challenge for domestic cup honours and a respectable league position.

Puel only signed one signed one of this lot.  Is it he or the players that are letting us down at the moment? 

That's proof it's Puel who is letting us down since we know what this group of players can do when they play in their best formation using their best tactics. We need to appoint a manager who likes his team to play like we did in 2015/16, no more of this sideways sh!t, it's boring. I actually quite like the 'ball over the top get banged', it's the Leicester way. 

6 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

That's proof it's Puel who is letting us down since we know what this group of players can do when they play in their best formation using their best tactics. We need to appoint a manager who likes his team to play like we did in 2015/16, no more of this sideways sh!t, it's boring. I actually quite like the 'ball over the top get banged', it's the Leicester way. 

Yes, it worked so well last season and start of this. Teams had that we'll figured out, hence the need to adapt, change and look at alternative ways of playing. We might have won the league winning that way in a freak year, how many hit and hopers won it before and after? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Why would we go for a manager that was sacked by Espanyol and Watford? Just seems like a backwards step to me. 

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but with rudkin involved I could see it happening. I want puel to start next season but can see him going in the summer. Tbf to flores he did little wrong at watford finishing 13th and getting to the semis of the fa cup. At espanyol he's just been on a bad run. 

28 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

It’s the championship way - and it isn’t the way we won the league. It was simply part of the jigsaw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

‘Was’ effective until we got found out last season domestically.  Many of the old guard are now past their ‘best before’ dates.  There needs to be a root and branch change on and off the field and personally, I do not include Puel in this until he has been given a fair crack after bringing in ‘his’ chosen players.

1 hour ago, 4everfox said:

Fast forward. You're 2 years late.

14 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Yes, it worked so well last season and start of this. Teams had that we'll figured out, hence the need to adapt, change and look at alternative ways of playing. We might have won the league winning that way in a freak year, how many hit and hopers won it before and after? 

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you write; from what I’ve seen in the last 4 months, Puel has already been figured out with his own tactics.

Slow possesion based football is the easiest style to defend against. 

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

14 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Selective amnesia about how shit that football had actually become. In fact it was only really ever particularly exciting when we went gung-ho during the great escape and the start of the season after. A good chunk of the league winning season wasn't particularly pretty or exciting and it was gradually getting worse.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with what you write; from what I’ve seen in the last 4 months, Puel has already been figured out with his own tactics.

Slow possesion based football is the easiest style to defend against. 

It is when a) some of the players aren't very good at it and b) that's not really what his style is. If he was after boring possession football, you wouldn't be going for the fast attacking right back.

Does he look particularly happy on the side lines, nope. He looks as frustrated as everyone else.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It is when a) some of the players aren't very good at it and b) that's not really what his style is. If he was after boring possession football, you wouldn't be going for the fast attacking right back.

Does he look particularly happy on the side lines, nope. He looks as frustrated as everyone else.

Has he been able to do anything about it though or is it getting worse?

I don't think anyone disagrees with giving a manager time but usually managers are given time when things are heading in the right direction, currently they are not and I think the last 4 games will basically determine whether he keeps the job - as it is I don't think he's surviving.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 14:10, Cardiff_Fox said:

Interesting that five of the managers discussed as better options have all had opportunity to develop their management of a team. 

Wagner had a season of stablising at Huddersfield. 

Howe took a couple of go's at getting Bournemouth up and they have had some wretched spells in the PL. 

Dyche - promoted, then relegated and rebuilt. 

Benitez - couldn't half the slump to relegation and rebuild the squad. 

Jokanovic - taken his time getting Fulham to this position. 

All of them have had time to fix faults and get their teams playing. 

All of those you have sighted improved the teams they had albeit slowly.

Benitez at Newcastle is a great example, Newcastle were better as soon as he came in and 6 months down the line they're walking the championship.

Dyche was the same with Burnley and Wagner made Huddersfield one of the best footballing sides in the championship after about six months.

Puel came in and did a really good job but since January it has got steadily worse, that's the challenge for him - if fans could see it improving I think they'd be more patient, but I don't think anyone could deny the last 17 games haven't been pretty - even the wins we've had (West Brom, worst side in the league, Brighton, we were awful, Watford, half decent performance, Huddersfield, dire first half) haven't exactly been convincing.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Benitez at Newcastle is a great example, Newcastle were better as soon as he came in and 6 months down the line they're walking the championship.

Dyche was the same with Burnley and Wagner made Huddersfield one of the best footballing sides in the championship after about six months.

Puel came in and did a really good job but since January it has got steadily worse, that's the challenge for him - if fans could see it improving I think they'd be more patient, but I don't think anyone could deny the last 17 games haven't been pretty - even the wins we've had (West Brom, worst side in the league, Brighton, we were awful, Watford, half decent performance, Huddersfield, dire first half) haven't exactly been convincing.

To be fair literally anyone would have done a better job with Newcastle than Maclaren. Even Claude. 

And Huddersfield stuttered into the playoffs on a goal difference of -2 with teams usually finishing 5th with +15-20. Not sure it was liquid football. 

I am currently on the fence with Claude. Currently wanting to keep him on for just a bit of stability but I can see why people want him moved on. 

32 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

I do find it quite funny that the staunch Puel defenders refer to those first weeks as the potential of what he can achieve and a good reason to stick by him. Yet no one was referring to Shakespeare's 5 wins out of 5 when he was sacked.

Both could be put down to 'new manager bounce' and taken with a pinch of salt when judging their tenures as a whole.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

Has he been able to do anything about it though or is it getting worse?

I don't think anyone disagrees with giving a manager time but usually managers are given time when things are heading in the right direction, currently they are not and I think the last 4 games will basically determine whether he keeps the job - as it is I don't think he's surviving.

If your style relies on a certain type of player, then you're always going to be hampered. The lack of a proper ball playing 10, an attacking right back are obvious.

I'm past particularly caring either way, but I'm still on the side of give him a proper go.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If your style relies on a certain type of player, then you're always going to be hampered. The lack of a proper ball playing 10, an attacking right back are obvious.

I'm past particularly caring either way, but I'm still on the side of give him a proper go.

Do you honestly think that signing a number 10 and an attacking right back whilst selling Mahrez is going to make us better? He can't even get the best out of players like Gray who is probably the same level as what we will sign in the summer. 

He's got options to play at number 10 and right back that suit his style better and he's not even played them.